Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what 2 do in oz in may

• 16-11-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

is may/june a bad time to head 2 austrailia? I'm in college til may so cant before then.my friend is in sydney til around may and i wana do the year in oz thing and want to go over 2 to her to start off and after that who knows.. i know its their winter then but is it still good? wat do people do in the winter?where do they go?any suggestions for a rough idea wat 2 do when i get there.any info/advice really helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Winter in Australia is like summer in Ireland, from what I understand! As for your other questions, you might as well as "What should I do in Europe?". Australia is a big-ass continent, so you might want to be a little more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Ditto to what Faith says.

Bit like asking is it a good time to cross the road in May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

There's no bad time to head to Australia. It's a great place.

If you're planning on staying a year does it matter when you arrive? You're going to experience all the months anyway.

If your friend's here in May then it's definitely a good time.

Agree with Faith and dStar about the rest of your questions though. They're a bit too general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SydneySider

Power

In winter, Aussies do exactly what they do every other month, just with a jacket on.
    In Sydney, sunny winter days are still excellent for being outdoors. Personally I don't go swimming in winter but it doesn't stop some brave souls. Some winter days are awful like anywhere else, wind, cold and rain.

So if you are asking if there are any radical differences in lifestyle between summer and winter, no there aren't.

During the days you can expect mild temps anywhere from 10-low 20's. I'm talking about Sydney but of course this varies depending on where you are.

So you needn't worry, come on over.

Glen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 power

what do people do as in do the tourists head elsewhere, hotter parts of oz? my friend said something about heading up the coast. I'm just bit weary that i get there and its not sun sea bbq's etc, is it worth it goin at that time?whats up the coast?probably sound too vague still.

• Advertisement

no i suppose not, wud like to be somewhere sunny a.s.a.p tho!! i'm definitely up for coming over just want to know what to expect.my friend was talkin of heading up the coast,she did this last year too.is this a good idea for the winter months? then head back to sydney when she jets off home.
    she's talking of coming home a month r 2 after i get there i.e. june,july.

sorry i sound like i'm talkin to myself here!! new to this! them replys were meant for sydneysider & skittlebrau and anyone else who fancies replying!!
    if people have any stories of their experiences travelling to oz i'd love to hear them 2!! ta!x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SydneySider

The northern parts of Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory and even northern NSW are warmer during winter, so if you are chasing the sun, head north during winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I travelled around Kakadu and the Top End in May.

Brilliant as it's just out of the rainy season and Kakadu is lush with greenery, more chance of croc spotting too.

Advertisement