Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Advertising

Options
  • 16-11-2006 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I was in me old centra just there and I heard an add for secondary school people to go to the Quinn School in UCD, for all their business needs, on the radio. That got me wondering, why do they do that as apposed to just going with the "Come to UCD" malark? And are other buildings/colleges/programmes allowed do it-"The Tierney Building, where Arts comes alive", but they just couldn't be bothered??

Just a wondering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Quinn School just has a lot of connections or something. There's a lot of money been invested in it and the building is pretty high-tech (projectors in every room, Insomnia cafe, the circular "tranquility room", wireless etc.) I think Mr. Quinn wants the place pimped out to get the best of the best and steal the students that might put Trinity first.

Plus we're all really snobby and rich here in Quinn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Wait, you mean you guys have projectors? Like, machines to project things? Wow. We've never had things like that in Arts. We're still working on wax tablets with styli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

well 2 mounted projectors, that hook up to laptop/PC or that machine with the camera so we can see what's been written

it also doesnt smell like some of the rooms in the arts block does

Garret wrote:
    well 2 mounted projectors, that hook up to laptop/PC or that machine with the camera so we can see what's been written

it also doesnt smell like some of the rooms in the arts block does

You have been in the lecture theatres in Arts, haven't you? :rolleyes: Innocence, and the bliss that it exudes.

Blush_01 wrote:
    You have been in the lecture theatres in Arts, haven't you? :rolleyes: Innocence, and the bliss that it exudes.

:rolleyes: Theres high-quality projectors in EVERY room, not just the lecture halls. They're hooked up to DVD players, the camera things and PCs.

There's none of that in the arts classrooms - they still look and smell like the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Put the handbags away guys.

I've heard these ads before. I presume because alot of school leavers are interested in commerce/international business, there is more competition between the colleges for the students - hence the advertising to encourage students to UCD instead of any other college.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

The Quinn School is more high-tech and such, it's to be expected, it got lots of money donated to it. Besides which, Commerce is inherently more high-tech than most of Arts. Arts don't need the same ammount of techno-stuff.

I have never detected a smell in any room in arts, and I spend several hours there on at least two nights per week. The 1980's didn't have a smell, decades don't emit oders.

What's with all this "my course is better / harder than your course" and now "my building is better than your building" lark?

Oh, and to attempt to answer the first question, the reason that the Quinn School has ads is probably because it's full of marketers.

EDIT: also, because of what it says above

ANOTHER EDIT: Just noticed the tags for this thread. I am ammused.

Blush_01 wrote:

yes, yes i have. M and L, and then one of the class rooms for the tutorial

I wasnt doing a our building is better than yours, just stating facts

and the room for my tutorial does have an odd odour, maybe its just that one

or maybe its someone in my tutor group:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ive also seen loads of adverts for Quinn on the 46 a and number 10 buses...hmm I wonder if their advertising to a certain type of people....
    . Its also only ever on spin 103.8 that I ever hear those ads.....

The new health sciences and vet buildings are generally all very well equipped.At least Brady is slowly trying to modernise the arts block what with new funky toilets and computers and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You cant exactly say come to UCD for business, its one of the top universities in the world. Word of mouth and cop on will tell you its not.

On the other hand, the Quinn school IS one of the best business schools in the world. Not midless opinion but based on rankings and acceditation.

The college of business in UCD is in the top 3 in Europe!

But if ye want to see some funny american style adverisments check out the flash videos over on www.ucd.ie/quinn

Browse around theres loads

• Advertisement

They also had (and probably will have again in the coming weeks, as February approaches more and more furiously) Horizons adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

ANOTHER EDIT: Just noticed the tags for this thread. I am ammused.
    I wanted to put in "twats" but then thought that was a bit mean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Blush_01 wrote:
    Wait, you mean you guys have projectors? Like, machines to project things?

The projectors they have in Quinn are different to the projectors in Arts. They are more similar to the old fashioned epidiascopes.
    You write with normal paper rather than see through and the image is projected via mirrors or a camera rather than by a big light.
    They take up a lot less room too.

Pythia wrote:
    The projectors they have in Quinn are different to the projectors in Arts. They are more similar to the old fashioned epidiascopes.
    You write with normal paper rather than see through and the image is projected via mirrors or a camera rather than by a big light.
    They take up a lot less room too.

They have the exact same style of projector in Arts - either that, or I was hallucinating in my first Psych lectures. They also have the projectors that require acetates. Thanks though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

As do health sci in every class room - I'm afraid Quinn students you're not the only special ones in this case - all new buildings get it as standard and I presume all the older builders are being gradually retrofitted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

More electronics = more to go wrong, especially in an environment where many lecturers and students are doggedly technophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

we got them in the conway institute too, which also advertises to postgrads with a "do your research in the conway institute" type ploy

anyway this is the reason, not the projectors
    You cant exactly say come to UCD for business, its one of the top universities in the world. Word of mouth and cop on will tell you its not.

On the other hand, the Quinn school IS one of the best business schools in the world. Not midless opinion but based on rankings and acceditation.

But if ye want to see some funny american style adverisments check out the flash videos over on www.ucd.ie/quinn

Browse around theres loads

Thanks, nice to know someone reads my posts.

But on the projector issue, just so we're all clear
    We have 3 types of projectors in the quinn school.

The overhead projectors which we all have Im sure, ffs secondary schools have them. The acetate ones.

The video projector things that display whats on the computer/laptop onto the screen.

And these camera projectors which TBH Ive never seen in sci or arts but if ye have them ye have them (somewhere hidden)
    http://www.nextag.com/Elmo-Projectors-Elmo-HV-64373672/prices-html

The lecturer can put her book or exam paper on the bed (base of the projector) and its projected up on the screen.
    Very handy as you dont have to photocopy to acetate. It also has nifty zooming.

And because there are 2 screens (that everyone can see at the same time and with two different feeds) in every class room and lecture hall in Quinn, the lecturer can have the slides up on one screen and work through a problem on the other (using either projector or even another computer).

Now I dont want to start a our school is better than yours, but the Quinn school is the standard by which the rest of the university is being benchmarked.
    S&M was tried and tested here, the college & school system, and the huge advancements in technology enhanced learning, mulit functional student cards.

This isnt because commerce is great, or D4s deserve the best. Im not saying look how we are. This has nothing to do with the students that study here, it has something to do with the programmes but only indirectly. Its just that A)Quinn was a new initiative and B)It had more resources at its disposal.

If you take away who studies there and what they study, and look at it objectively its obvious Quinn is miles ahead the rest of the university. Its one of the top schools world wide, its one of the few things we beat Trinity at!
    Its just a pity that while trying to roll out changes to the rest of the university they've disturbed the system that was running smoothly in Quinn.

Though we dont want to do a whole my school is the best bllah blah blah it must be said, the nicest thing about Quinn, better than the technology, the mix and match timetable (small classes), the location beside the bar and the bus stop, is the toilets. The cleanest toilets in UCD. You never see graffiti there longer than a few days. Theres never a blocked toilet or no bog roll. Magnificent really.

^Couldn't have put it better

*doffs his cap*

• Advertisement

You're wrong on the tiolets always been stocked with bog roll. a number of times i have checked all the cubicles on the GF and 1st F and there was none:(

but yeah clean:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

quinn business school is no. 3 in europe? I find that hard to believe, top 3 business school for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

quinn business school is no. 3 in europe? I find that hard to believe, top 3 business school for what?
    business?

See the negative attitude, in top 3 means 3rd:rolleyes:
    The school of business in UCD is part of an elite group worldwide with the so called Triple Crown of accreditation (EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA).

When we got them in 2002 we were one of 9 and i think i remember there being 2 others in europe, thus top 3.

*Me does google search
    Four years later still the only school in Ireland with these awards and one of 20 worldwide.

More googling shows that UCD Smurfit School of Business is ranked 4th in Europe for ‘Most Sponsored Students’ according to the FT EMBA rankings, which has the dual benefit of placing our School in the top five business schools for ‘Most Experienced Student Intake’.

Edit: Terminology can be confusing sometimes, though the quinn building and the smurfit building are often refered to as schools, there is only one UCD School of Business. It is this school I think that holds the accreditations.
    And there is no college of business, we are part of the College of Business and Law

Advertisement