Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I have nothing personally against the RAs at all and have found the vast majority to be really nice friendly people. But I still have a problem with them coming into the appartment without at least ringing the bell first, even if it is to deliver the post. I'll admit I'm of a nervous disposition and I have to say it scared me several times last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

When i was there in first year they delivered the post by pushing it under the door, if it was bigger than a letter you were given a slip to collect it in the reception. There should be NO instances where an RA (or anyone else for that matter), enters YOUR house without permission. If they'd done that when I lived there I would have caused SUCH a fuss, thats just ridiculous! When you rent accommodation it's part of your basic rights that the landlord has to given written warning before they come to your house and even then they cant just come you need to be present unless you've given permission for them to be there. Why shouldnt these basic rights not apply with campus accommodation??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To be honest. there's not much that would fit under the door in our apartment. I'm happier about that than I would be if anything could be shoved under it. I personally have no problem with someone dropping off my mail if that's part of their job and I know it's going to happen - which I did when I signed my lease. I hate having to go down to that stupid office to collect post. I'd rather they came into my bedroom and bounced up and down on the bed than have me go down there more than is absolutely necessary. If it's that much of a problem, every door has a lock on it anyway, keep your room locked. After that, meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MichaelJos17

nice to know they can make promises on their website which they have no intention of keeping. very good of them. take it out of the contract but make it very clear on the website. that can't be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you don't have exclusive possession its not really a lease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Blush_01 wrote:
    To be honest. there's not much that would fit under the door in our apartment. I'm happier about that than I would be if anything could be shoved under it. I personally have no problem with someone dropping off my mail if that's part of their job and I know it's going to happen - which I did when I signed my lease. I hate having to go down to that stupid office to collect post. I'd rather they came into my bedroom and bounced up and down on the bed than have me go down there more than is absolutely necessary. If it's that much of a problem, every door has a lock on it anyway, keep your room locked. After that, meh.

Fair enough but I still don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to ring the bell first so you can at least be given the opportunity to open the door for them - if nobody answers then then that's a different story. My problem is not really with them dropping in post when I'm not there but them coming in to do it when I am without warning. And in Glenomena the lock on your bedroom door doesn't matter since RAs have the master key card and can open it anway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ctnrocks333

hey look first years, its time for ye to start realisin that the RAs are in charge around on campus and if ye don't like it thats just tough luck. i know a lot of people are jealous of us because we get free accomodation but get over it. We have every right to go into a persons apartment if we want to. Its may not be in the contract but if you want to challenge it why don't you come down to the office and we'll have a chat and see and theres only going to be one winner. first years take your slap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

hey look first years, its time for ye to start realisin that the RAs are in charge around on campus and if ye don't like it thats just tough luck. i know a lot of people are jealous of us because we get free accomodation but get over it. We have every right to go into a persons apartment if we want to. Its may not be in the contract but if you want to challenge it why don't you come down to the office and we'll have a chat and see and theres only going to be one winner. first years take your slap

troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ok stating 'we have every right to go into a persons apt if we want to' sounds a bit overly aggressive.

Not everyone posting here is a first year either.

'i know a lot of people are jealous of us because we get free accommodation but get over it.'

Okay I don't think anyone here sounded snide about the fact you get free accommodation - anyone who lives/ has lived on res knows you work hard to get free accommodation. Actually in general I've never heard anyone complain/ sound jealous of your free accommodation.

Personally I've never had any problem with RAs coming into the general living area of the apartments - okay i've gotten a few shocks when i've gone to answer the door and they've walked in but I think I scared them as much as they scared me! We did have an issue last week with builders going into our bedrooms without notice and with no one with them - definitely not meant to happen but in general I find the RAs to be nice friendly people who are easy enough to get one with.

the discussion in this thread has highlighted the loopholes that would exist if you were brought to court for having a so-called party. i mean, what we sign (our copy of the license to reside) does not state what a "party" exactly is, so like i reckon in court you would win that argument. Ok, it does say about excessive noise levels but that's between certain times so apart from those times stated you can, technically anyways, make more noise than during those times. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the "party" you guys were having just after 10pm was not really in breach of any rules at all - nothing that you should be reprimanded for anyhow.
    It does then seem that the RAs do actually twist and make up their own rules to suit themselves where appropriate.
    Whatever you sign applies to you. Not the "additional handbook" they have that nobodies ever seen before.
    On another point again, nobody can enter your apartment without the permission of the tenant - That's one of the main laws relating to renting in Ireland I believe. Personally, even though I don;t live on campus, I'd find it extremely weird if randomers could just walk in to your place unknown to you.

• Advertisement

look. the ra's are in the right and you are in the wrong. you did sign the contract that said you are not allowed to have a party without the express permission of ucd. ok, even though what you did sign doesn't state exaactly what a party is everyone knows what a party is. i was an ra last year and if this thread was here last year i would have purposely cracked down on any disturbances what so ever or anything light at all just to annoy people since people like you are trying to find ways out of punishment. again, take your slap on the wrist would ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Hmm that sounds a bit harsh to me; someone voices an opinion you don't agree with so you take the view that had it been said when you were in power you would have punished people, who more than likely had nothing to do with it, for the views of one person who for all you know didn't (well he doesn't but besides the point) live in the residence you were RA for.

i was an ra last year

just out of interest, which res were you an RA in last year? are you an RA this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

on a kinda unrelated matter anyone see that new merville RA hes tall, dark and handsome yummy!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't feed the troll.

bobbi wrote:
    on a kinda unrelated matter anyone see that new merville RA hes tall, dark and handsome yummy!:D

that would be damir, one of my best friends. he'll be chuffed to hear that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bobbi wrote:

i'm sure he'd be more than happy to help 'settle in' he's 'lovely' like that

there's no chance of me telling you what res i was on last year. it's besides the point anyway. all RA's do are implement the rules. and if people start becoming out of control, etc, we have full power to do what we deem is necessary to put a stop to that situation. And if someone, like the starter of this thread, wants to take action against us, feel free as we'll have more power than you'll ever have

I'm almost certain I know who you are. It's adorable, the way you're deliberately being antagonistic, rather than rationally explaining what you guys have to do. Really, well done, we all applaud you for it. You're giving the decent RA's a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

there's no chance of me telling you what res i was on last year. it's besides the point anyway. all RA's do are implement the rules. and if people start becoming out of control, etc, we have full power to do what we deem is necessary to put a stop to that situation. And if someone, like the starter of this thread, wants to take action against us, feel free as we'll have more power than you'll ever have
    yeah thats a great attitude to have mate. walk into a party with a load of people who are more than likely locked, mightn't know/care who's apartment it is, or even be in UCD, and start pushing your weight around and talking like McDowell on coke instead of being sensible, getting the person who owns the apartment and telling them to cop on the fúck. i'm obviously talking about big parties and not small joint gatherings or pre-beers.

• Advertisement

all RA's do are implement the rules

all RA's do IS implement the rules. Not are. Sorry, I know its completely beside the point, I can't help it!

As for where you worked, well I've ruled out Belgrove, you weren't there, unless you're Niall, in which case, welcome to boards!

If my hunch is right, it was Glen. If not... I'm wrong. Hey, it had to happen some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

like the starter of this thread, wants to take action against us, feel free

I know I shouldn't feed, but...
    If you came in like the ars*hole you appear to be and interrupted my party, I would floor you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Well done on furthering the stereotype that RAs are on creepy and dellusional power trips.

/hopes this is a false flag operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

[HTML]that would be damir, one of my best friends. he'll be chuffed to hear that!
    [/HTML]
    I'm sure hes very nice but its not him this guy has been there since september he has dark brown eyes longish dark brown hair and has a sexy d4 accent.I wana ask him out but i'm so chicken. Ah hes so hot sometimes i just wana throw a party so he'll come over to stop it.;)

the guy is probably the RA that busted the party we are going on about and if the original post is fairly factual then I dunno......but I wouldn't be asking someone like that out IMO anyways. Yea, and I too think that I know who ctnrocks is. i know the guy to see. was an ra last yr. such a......won;t even say it.

look, i'm just trying to let all ye first years know that the ra's have all the power and that you can't do anything to them or against them or else you'll be in some deep sh!t. i'm sorry if i come across a bit strong but i'm just trying to say that RAs have all the power and can stop all your fun if they want. i'm not arrogant - just better. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RAs have all the power and can stop all your fun if they want.
    You sound like you've barely moved along from the playground stage tbh. Sounds like someone took your toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

look, i'm just trying to let all ye first years know that the ra's have all the power and that you can't do anything to them or against them or else you'll be in some deep sh!t. i'm sorry if i come across a bit strong but i'm just trying to say that RAs have all the power and can stop all your fun if they want. i'm not arrogant - just better. :p

RA's do not have "all the power". They're just snoops for the people that do, and even those are subject to tenancy agreements. It's not a super-powerful position, like say, services. :rolleyes: If you had said this all this macho stuff to students in the real world you wouldn't be an RA for long.

• Advertisement

You HAVE to be the person I'm thinking of, most normal people would die of arrogance poisoning before it reached your level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement