Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MichaelJos17

yeah, i do think me and Blush are thinking of the exact same guy. if I ever see you out and I'm a bit drunk i really would consider going right up to you and knocking some sense into you. It does indeed sound like someone took your toys from you when you were a toddler. You're so immature man it ain't even funny - thinking that you are all that. Maybe there's a reason why you're not an RA this year?? I know some RA's are unreasonable....like why this thread was started....but some have to be ok.....don't they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

cast_iron wrote:
    I know I shouldn't feed, but...
    If you came in like the ars*hole you appear to be and interrupted my party, I would floor you.
    No you wouldn't.

On another hand, RA's have always been funny people-they suspect everyone. Not exactly an enjoyable job-how many poeple would want to get up at 3am to fix a fire alarm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

yeah, i do think me and Blush are thinking of the exact same guy. if I ever see you out and I'm a bit drunk i really would consider going right up to you and knocking some sense into you. It does indeed sound like someone took your toys from you when you were a toddler. You're so immature man it ain't even funny - thinking that you are all that. Maybe there's a reason why you're not an RA this year?? I know some RA's are unreasonable....like why this thread was started....but some have to be ok.....don't they??
    I said *don't* feed the troll.

Banned for a week for threats of violence, pm me when its up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ctnrocks333

gubbie, in answer to your PM, if the RA's find out that you have more than 8 people inside the apartment at any time whatsoever they can report you. even though i ain't an RA this yr, if i happened to discover or know of more than 8 people in a house last year i always went up as i always got a kick in being a party pooper. i loved seeing the look on all those first years faces who all thought they were untouchable. such a buzz it was. and then afterwards they nearly always gave you cheek and you got to write an elaborate report where you gave your versions of the events that went on and i always fibbed a little just so they'd learn their lesson as that way, they'd get a harsher punishment. good times it was. oh, yea, the reason i ain't an RA this year, michaeljos17, is because i got a bit of a cash windfall and so i didn't need to spend all my time busting little parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

gubbie, in answer to your PM, if the RA's find out that you have more than 8 people inside the apartment at any time whatsoever they can report you. even though i ain't an RA this yr, if i happened to discover or know of more than 8 people in a house last year i always went up as i always got a kick in being a party pooper. i loved seeing the look on all those first years faces who all thought they were untouchable. such a buzz it was. and then afterwards they nearly always gave you cheek and you got to write an elaborate report where you gave your versions of the events that went on and i always fibbed a little just so they'd learn their lesson as that way, they'd get a harsher punishment. good times it was. oh, yea, the reason i ain't an RA this year, michaeljos17, is because i got a bit of a cash windfall and so i didn't need to spend all my time busting little parties.

hehe, that made me smile. still a second rate troll but improving:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah an eejit who thinks he's all that - I missed there absolute stupidity. I have especially missed seeing it all blow up in there faces. I await this implosion with anxious anticipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I missed there absolute stupidity.

hee hee

8 you say...

Cheers

8 is correct but many ra's i do know read boards and they'll be keeping an extra vigilent eye out for any early parties now especially on that day as it looks good for the ra's if they report a load of things that happen since it looks like they are doing their job and it gurantees them free accomo next year. hence me and a lot of other ra's reporting false findings - makes us look well gud :)

8 is correct but many ra's i do know read boards and they'll be keeping an extra vigilent eye out for any early parties now especially on that day as it looks good for the ra's if they report a load of things that happen since it looks like they are doing their job and it gurantees them free accomo next year. hence me and a lot of other ra's reporting false findings - makes us look well gud :)
    Ain't it a brilliant thing then that I don't live on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Personally I love a good troll, and fair play he got a few and a tosser got banned. But all those still posting in thread have spotted the obvious, can we get out the ban stick now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doflnin

Ok, i just came across this discussion and i felt that it was a good idea to post a comment from an informed point of view. RAs are students ie.the same as non-RAs who are doing this job so that can live on Res for free for the year, not "necessarily" because they are egotistical power-trippers looking to wreck peoples buzz. I think you'll find that having a party and living above the office is tempting fate. The chances are, u were going to get in trouble. I think that the most valuable piece of advice that I could give you, is to NOT antagonize the RAs. Most of the time, they will go up, ask you to either keep it down or to get all your guests to leave. If you are co-operative about this, they will not make an issue about it and will try to avoid getting you into trouble. Remember, most of these people have lived on Res before, and know that you are just trying to have fun. The WORST thing you can do, is to be obnoxious, ignorant, or start trying to tell them how to do their job. Do you think that they like what theyre doing? No. Do you think they like getting up during the middle of the night to tell people to be quiet, or to fix the fire alarm system? No. Have some respect, and they will show you respect in return. Learn from your mistakes, and learn to handle the situation in a mature fashion, despite being most likely intoxixated. Believe me, you are only doing yourself an injustice if you continue to behave this way. And if you challenge an RAs methods or try to argue your views on technicalities....im sure that admin will politely remind you that they are in charge, and that the RAs work for them. Therefore, who do you think they will believe?? Finally, to the person who says that RAs have no power, you are wrong. Yes it is permissable for an RA to enter a persons apartment without their permission if the RA deems fit...and this IS the RAs discretion. Furthermore, it is possible to have people over for a few drinks in your flat. Just be intelligent about it! Dont invite too many people, dont invite the people who are likely to set off the fire alarm, close ALL your windows and blinds, and go into town at half 11. I can guarantee you that if you play your cards right, you can do this without any hassle and not be confronted by the RAs. Ive given my two cents now and I wont be replying to any comments left for me on this board but i hope that you will all take into account what i have said.

basically what doflnin said is correct. the ra's can enter your apartment if they want to, to check things out. And he's right about parties. I mean you have to be fairly dumb to hold a party directly above an office of a RA. I couldn't have said all that better myself. The RAs are the people in power and first yrs hav to start showing them the respect that they deserve - getting up at 2am to shut off a fire alarm and all.

How is it that this board can contain your ego without crashing????? All hail the boards matrix - tis a mighty beast.

And for your information - you need to cop on and stop branding all first years as disrespectful rude eejits. You're quite obviously leaving out others who fall into that catagory who aren't in first year.

And to really stick it to you - as a first year I hadn't a single run in with an RA, we had parties and stuck to the rules and in fact had a great running joke with my nearest RA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

this is immensely off topic at this stage, locky locky?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I always find it exceptionally amusing when someone like you is given that kind of pseudo-authority. It goes to your head so much more quickly than someone with any real authority.

What power is it you think you have? More power than any other student? No mate, you're confusing responsibility with authority there. You're called RAs, that's an acronym for Residential Assistants. You're there to help me if anything goes wrong where I live.

Authority is where you can take preventive or punitive action (you could take neither off the bat of your own "authority"). You were just a kid with a liason role in college residences. It's not a tough, nor is it a rewarding job, but I didn't think I'd ever have the pleasure of having someone openly admit on a public forum that they were bad at it! It's like a milk warden in American schools forgetting to give the soya milk to the lactose-intolerent kid.

No offence to any RAs who do a good job. I think I'm right in saying that those who do their job properly are well aware of the limitations in their ambit to do anything substantive in terms of discipline. That's the nature of these things.

as doflnin said before extremely well, ra's have all the power and students have very little, if none at all. doflnin seems like an intelluctual individual so hullaballoo, you should listen to what he says. hullaballoo, what you said is almost completely wrong. basically, me and doflnin are on the same page. one or two people over in your apartment is fine but over 8 people in total and we'll clamp down on you like a vice. And you're also wrong in saying that being an RA is not a rewarding job. It actually is. We get to express our power by putting a stop to any parties which is always a laugh as you get to see that look on the residents faces when you tell them you'll be writing a report. They also look like a fool in front of their friends which brings them back down to earth with a bang - them thinking that they're all that having a cool little party breaking conditions on their license to reside. Last year when I was an RA if i even heard a mouse fart in an apartment i was up there asap to see where that noise was coming from and clamping down on it. I'd say if me and doflnin were on RA duty together this year we'd run a tight ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

if the RA's find out that you have more than 8 people inside the apartment at any time whatsoever they can report you.

I wont even comment on the attitude of this poster/troll but does anyone know if this applies to Glenomena and does that mean 8 total or 8 on top of residents?

If it's including residents and applies to Glenomena then people there will have to start a rota on who can bring a friend over at what time since there's already 6 in the appartment! Sounds like a ridiculous rule imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

this is immensely off topic at this stage, locky locky?

second'd

CTN random dude.

You know you're simply boosting your post count; you have yet to make anything bar the same point over and over, yes we're not stupid - we get it that you think you have all the power.

Respond to what people are saying to you in terms of what they actually say to you rather than regurgitating the same paragraph over and over. At this stage it's rather poor trolling and to be honest, a rather dull read.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

that look on the residents faces when you tell them you'll be writing a report.
    I can imagine that the look on their faces would be something along the lines of expressing the emotion, "did he actually just say he was going to write a report on us?"

A bit like this:
    rusrs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

i'm going back to the original reason why this thread was started now. how did your hearing go? i heard stories about some "party" that night and i actually walked by that building and there was actually no noise what so ever. i was attaching my bike to a lamp post near the accomodation office and then saw two RA's - one female and one male absolutely legging it inside the building.....for what i didn't know at that time. But, it did seem, at the time, like the RA's were on a power trip - kinda reminded me of the power rangers LOL. Yeah, but seriously, most RA's are quite harsh. I mean, once they came up to our apartment for making too much noise and we were like "OK, I'm sorry about that. It won;t happen again" and the ra was like "dont raise your voice at me boy" and at this point I whispered "I wasn't raising my voice at all". And then the RA snapped and said "Listen, if you want to be cheeky and raise your voice at me you'll get whats coming to you. I'll be writing a report about this incident and this is not the last that you'll be hearing about it!" I mean, what a twat. Anywho's, rant over. Basically, sircretop, you do seem hard done by and I would think you could bring this to the courts IMO. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I was actually just about to post and ask how the hearing went. The guys living upstairs from me had a hearing the same day as you and I would be interested to see are the 'punishments' similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SirCretop

Scraggs wrote:
    I was actually just about to post and ask how the hearing went. The guys living upstairs from me had a hearing the same day as you and I would be interested to see are the 'punishments' similar.

We got a really harsh punishment. Why, what did the guys above you get??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

PM me if you want, I'd prefer not to give details of where I live over the net:)

fullstop, what you said is spot on. last year as an ra i always went way overboard like that too just for the craic. it's good fun telling your co-ra's about events like that. and again, we always write up ellaborate sequence of events in our reports just for the laugh. i know it's sorta wrong and all but its hilarious for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm never going to live on campus ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

just so you know, ctnrocks, RA management are aware of this thread. I wouldn't brag too much about childish sh*t like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That cat is the freakiest thing Ive ever seen in my life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I know people in 10 in merville who had a big party at the start of the year and someone set off the fire alarm. They didnt organise the meeting they were supposed to for weeks - Then they went down giving loads of **** to mr nichol. They got a curfew for a month - couldnt have anyone over after 10pm. Maybe a little harsh considering they hadn't ever done anything wrong before but i would say that if you hurry up and get the meeting done quickly, you apologise and aren't rude in the meeting you might get away with a warning. nothing like those guys got anyway.

And yeah, that cat's bloody freaky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement