Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Subjects at this stage.

Options
  • 17-11-2006 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. It's taken me just over a year to realise that I hate Biology with every fibre of my being. And then some!As it stands, I will struggle to pass it (HL), unless I start to sacrifice other subjects for it. It's for this reason that I am seriously considering changing over to Business as it's emerged that I have quite a flair for Economics.

My options would be to either fully drop Biology and move into the Business class and try catch up to make a high C or a low B in honours a realistic possibility or keep on Biology and pick up and study Business in my own time. If I do this, then I'll quite possibly scrape a pass in Biology but wouldn't be armed to deal with a Higher Level Business paper and would probably have to opt for an Ordinary Level paper instead.

I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as me and whether or not you think it's a good idea. I'm also interested in hearing the views of anybody who does both Business and Economics and whether or not the courses share any material.

I wish to make a rational choice, although it's quite hard to step back and make sense of it all when you're convincing yourself that Biology is a terrible, Godforsaken subject that I only picked so I'd be able to keep my career options open. It would be nothing short of irony if Biology ends up restricting them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am in the same boat with regards to history.
    Got a B in honours in the jc, but I have only began to realise my hate for this awful memory rewarding subject.
    aaaaaaaaaaahhh what am i going to do:eek:
    I could drop to ordinary, but cos I am doing six subjects including ordinary maths, It might be unwise, but I am having doubts of even passing HL history due to its insane learn by rote structure.
    Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

You could get an A in Business, it is quite an easy subject to learn.

There is no real "understanding" required, everything is quite basic, and if you are good at Economics (something far harder than Business), I would recommend you drop Biology and take up Business.

I don't know why everyone doesn't do it; it really is a very easy subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

xha1r wrote:
    You could get an A in Business, it is quite an easy subject to learn.

There is no real "understanding" required, everything is quite basic, and if you are good at Economics (something far harder than Business), I would recommend you drop Biology and take up Business.

I don't know why everyone doesn't do it; it really is a very easy subject.

I agree somewhat.
    Business is by no means "easy", but as you say that you are doing Economics I don't see why you should have a major problem.
    What do your teachers think if you have discussed it with them? I could see them being the only problem, if you decide to change subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ~flammable~

Dont mean to boast but i picked up business as an extra subject for the lc this time last year and i did it by myself at home with a couple of grind classes...but i still managed to do really well.
    Did economics too and there aren't that many overlaps but if ur good at economics then u'll find business really easy! I'd say go for it. If you have any more queries pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Naikon wrote:
    I am in the same boat with regards to history.
    Got a B in honours in the jc, but I have only began to realise my hate for this awful memory rewarding subject.
    aaaaaaaaaaahhh what am i going to do:eek:
    I could drop to ordinary, but cos I am doing six subjects including ordinary maths, It might be unwise, but I am having doubts of even passing HL history due to its insane learn by rote structure.
    Grr.

I'm considering dropping History aswell. Yes, I know that with the project, it can be passed before you even sit the exam, but I'm having to sacrifice time for other subjects for it. We have four books to get through (one not even started yet). No other subject has this amount of learning.

At the end of the day - I only need between 350 and 370 points (overall)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

im doing biology,business,geography and german
    im only in 5th year but finding business fairly easy
    biology is alright but i can see it getting harder theres a lot to remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

If you have the time and patience, you could PROBABLY catch up in a business subject. and knowing you sunshine, you probably could :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Why dont ya keep on biology and get grinds in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Just try doin Physics.

Out of interest, say if I was an A1 Economics student and got an A in Business in the JC, could I pick up Business in time for next June?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ThatGuy, Im kinda in the same position as you, history dominating over more topics, and yes, it p***** me off big time, but I aint giving it up. We've just started our 4th book, done about 4 or 5 chapters in a week and a bit, if not two weeks. By now were getting about 4 essays a week:eek:, its nuts. Im already skipping other work for it but that'l change. Just have to tell him there's 6 other subjects to be done aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

It really is quite late to be changing. That being said, nothing is impossible. Perhaps there is some reason as to why you dislike the subject so much? Difficulting in understanding it? not able to approach questions / study properly, or maybe a bad teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

If you don't like it then change before it's too late

RE all the people finding history hard, my sister was in the same boat, she really hated it, then ended up getting 100% in the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

obl wrote:
    Just try doin Physics.

Out of interest, say if I was an A1 Economics student and got an A in Business in the JC, could I pick up Business in time for next June?

Physics has to be the worst of the Science subjects, why i chose it i will never know! I wish i was doing business instead, it would make 6th year so much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm a TY student, trying to choose my subjects for next year, have decided on Economics and History. Am going to do Classics as an extra subject because the school doesn't have a teacher, therefore doesn't allow me to do it as my third subject. I really, really don't want to do another subject, as I'll probably be stuck in LCVP too.... However, the career guidance teacher says I can drop another subject after a while, how long do you have to leave it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Since I was doing 8 subjects (Music as an extra subject outside of school) I managed to drop Chemistry at the start of 6th year. In retrospect I probably should have dropped History. The user who commented that its a 'memory rewarding subject' is absolutely right. Though that being said I got a B in the Christmas tests so I'm fairly happy.

My only advice is to do whatever your happiest doing. If you really hate Biology that much (its one of my fave subjects) then see if you can drop it but you'd want to do it right away and not waste any more time

Advertisement