Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh Sony, how do you love us?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Expect some even more OTT game prices so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

It will all work out for them give them 2 years when there is a drop in price and more games and every1 will have a ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"Everyone" might have already bought a Wii and/or a 360 by then, though... also, a price-drop would be losing them more money still!
    I really have to wonder where Sony think they're going to be making all their money; discounting peripheral sales, the attachment ratio (games per console) needs to be huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

But think about it anyone whos buys a console will probably buy more than 4 games. I bought about 16 games for ps1 and another 16 for ps2. Then take into account extra controlpads. Sony definately wont make a loss unless their consoles start breaking down a lot or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

HA!
    tekkit you cocky bastards!

shame that this is going to have a massive impact on the prices of games and future price drops... guess i'll just avoid the PS3 completely for this generation of consoles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    "Everyone" might have already bought a Wii and/or a 360 by then, though... also, a price-drop would be losing them more money still!
    I really have to wonder where Sony think they're going to be making all their money; discounting peripheral sales, the attachment ratio (games per console) needs to be huge!

I can guarantee you one thing. Sony have this one covered. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Do you have anything better to do than troll concerning the ps3?

Everyone knew that they'd be losing a fortune on the first batches of consoles, but I fail to see why you find this funny. Only Nintendo make profits from consoles straight away. Revised versions of the ps and ps2 made profits.

I've seen the full analyst report as well, and like many analyst reports on the gaming industry it's unreliable and flawed as it's pretty much guess work. It doesn't take into account peripheral sales or even consider blu-ray movie sales and worst of all there is no mention of the fact that manufacturing costs greatly decrease during a consoles life, these are mistakes that an amateur economist wouldn't make, if I had've handed something like that in when I was still in college I would've failed.

As for your comment regarding everyone having a wii/360 by then, well I do see Nintendo vying for first spot but not the 360. Its had a huge head start yet the uptake isn't very impressive considering its had no rival, also, Nintendo will steal this christmas from MS. I'm pretty sure MS had aimed to have 10m sold by the end of 2006, yet they've only sold 6m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    :DSony losing at least $240 on each PS3
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

first off...
    according to an analysis of the component costs conducted by iSuppli

that should be the first thing you notice, and take everything afterwards with a grain of salt.

for example, the idea that the 360 gets microsoft profit is a joke. it currently makes a loss of about $150, according to microsoft itself. so far the xbox project is the only division within microsoft that has lost money. sony's playstation and nintendo have each made profit out of the last few years.

but at least the analyst goes on to say why there's such mad expense...
    "The reason why the PlayStation 3 is so costly to produce is because it has incredible processing power," said Andrew Rassweiler, teardown services manager and senior analyst for iSuppli. "If someone had shown me the PlayStation 3 motherboard from afar without telling me what it was, I would have assumed it was for a network switch or an enterprise server."

and there's vids on youtube of people tearing open the ps3, so you can see for yourself :D
    It may be that Sony is giving gamers incredible power for the price, but from a business standpoint it's also taking a big financial risk. One could argue that if Sony needs to sell so many games to make a profit, its game system experience had better be orders of magnitude better than Microsoft's.

that's true, but the ps2 made similar losses at the start, and after 3 years those losses disappeared from the books and turned to profit (on the console... the games always make profit).

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

K.O.Kiki wrote:

Well at this point in its life the 360 has sold less than the first Xbox had at this stage.

As for Nintendo while I'm sure all the message board geeks will be out for it, including me. How many casuals do you think will want one when all they really care about is graphics?

I know plenty of people that won't even consider a 360 or a Wii simply because they know the PS3 is coming, they don't know or care how either stand up to the PS3. All they know is they love their PS2 and PS3 will offer more of the same. If Sony make a mess of the PS3 then PS4 might suffer, but for now they are safe.

Well, it was either laugh at this or laugh at the comical line-up - again.
    Sorry if I come across as an anti-Sony troll, but I do still have my PS2 (only bought maybe 3 games new though, all else 2nd-hand) & play it well. I'm just annoyed at Sony's arrogance regarding the PS3 is all.
    Also, "more of the same" gets boring after a short while :D ...IMHO

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Sorry if I come across as an anti-Sony troll, but I do still have my PS2 (only bought maybe 3 games new though, all else 2nd-hand) & play it well. I'm just annoyed at Sony's arrogance regarding the PS3 is all.

so you're only going to buy a Wii, right? because surely if ps3 is more of the same, so is the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

K.O.Kiki wrote:

Maybe for you but most people haven't been brainwashed by Nintendo's pr that games are stale and need to be changed. The fact is I am happy with games they way they have always been. People don't have any need to make smellable paintings or tasteable music, so why this urge to change how we interact with games?

The fact is the vast majority of people don't care how arrogant sony are, go into any GAME, approach someone in the PS2 section and show them a screen of someone playing a new version of a PS2 game with a PS3 polish and then show them any Wii game being played. Now ask them which they want, if you think the answer is Wii then you are seriously deluded. The general gamer wants a PS3 and couldn't give a toss about Giant Crabs, Riiiiiiiiiiidge Racer or Lik-Sang.

Also when Johny Average sees the Wiimote and the Six Axis, he won't see a lot of difference, false as this view is. Also as wrong as it may be I can guarantee that in 2 years time the majority of people will think motion sensing controllers were Sony's idea.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Maybe for you but most people haven't been brainwashed by Nintendo's pr that games are stale and need to be changed. The fact is I am happy with games they way they have always been. People don't have any need to make smellable paintings or tasteable music, so why this urge to change how we interact with games?

just look at gears of war. for all intensive purposes it's a standard shooter with a slightly unique twist, with very impressive graphics. it conforms to the norm in every way, yet after 2 days on sale in america it was already tipped for game of the year. no matter how good mario is, GoW will always be more memorable (in the immediate anyway).
    mcgarnicle wrote:
    The general gamer wants a PS3 and couldn't give a toss about Giant Crabs, Riiiiiiiiiiide Racer or Lik-Sang.

most ps2 owners probably aren't even aware of e3. well, they probably heard of it via magazines, but they don't care. i doubt OPSM2 went on about the giant head crap stuff.

and only the uber leet knew of lik-sang. and no one should care if it's gone...
    mcgarnicle wrote:
    Also as wrong as it may be I can guarantee that in 2 years time the majority of people will think motion sensing controllers were Sony's idea.

yup. people think that the analog sticks are sony's idea as it is...

So I'm gonna go on an all-out, grass-roots offensive to educate people :D Because "just accepting ignorance" is pissing me off, guys!

Oh, and Lik-Sang's loss, while probably not (totally) Sony's fault, should be mourned -- it was a great source of cheap & rare(-ish) games & accessories; you can't deny that.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Oh, and Lik-Sang's loss, while probably not (totally) Sony's fault, should be mourned -- it was a great source of cheap & rare(-ish) games & accessories; you can't deny that.

i'd never claim otherwise. i used it myself. but there are more sites where that came from. if amazon was shut down by microsoft there'd be bitching, but we'd all just end up on play.com anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

more often than not consoles are sold at a loss, generally withing the first year or two of them going to market, dont for an instant think this is hurting sony in any way or any other console manufacturer for that matter. they make all of the loss and a hell of a lot more back from us punters through overpriced games and online services etc.

the consoles are sold at a loss to get you under their thumb.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Loosing money on the ps3 is not a problem for Sony, its like buying market share to secure Sony's desire to have Blu-Ray own the HD format. The money is in selling games and movies - lots of them, regularly. Console sales will always be the loss making, format pushing consumer durables that you must save up for, and someone with a calculator has already worked out how much you and Sony are willing to pay. Once you've made that investment Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo own your expenditure on the cheap to make plastic disks you'll shell out €40 to €60 for every month or so leaving the cost of developing the games to someone else.

Advertisement