Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Askabout Money--Restrictions on posting.

Options
  • 17-11-2006 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,
    There has been a clampdown on the discussion of certain property related issues in the Askaboutmoney website. This appears to be only threads displaying negative sentiment regarding the housing market in Ireland.

I am sure that everyone here believes in free speech and a fair and impartial website, as long as no legal lines are crossed and no one person and/or company are libeled.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/faq.php?faq=faq_site_info#faq_faq_editorial_policy

I have posed a question in AAM re: the editorial policy.

They may have to protect themselves from various legal issues.

I have noticed that only threads containing negative sentiment have been closed. Perhaps it would be better if all thread, both positive and negative should be closed to ensure that there is no grounds for ppl to claim that AAM are displaying bias.

I will link back to this thread to show that my intentions are no sinister.

Cheers Btooth

Link to my post on AAM.
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=41541

Hi there to whichever of the admin can help explain this to me.

I am of the understanding that discussion of property prices isn't allowed here.

But, to be fair, I have noticed, that only the threads that have any negative sentiment seem to be the only ones closed down, but not the ones that display confidence / positive sentiment.

I think this displays a discrepancy in editorial policy, but, I may be reading this all the wrong way.

As my old Gran used to say,what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I like this site and find it insightful, but I also believe that current situation seems somewhat one sided and may be construed as showing a bias. All locked threads in this particular section and throughout the remainder of the the site display negative sentiment whilst all active threads display positive sentiment. All should be treated similarly.

I understand if this thread may need to be closed, but please, can someone outline the editorial policy so no body can state that AAM is shying away for issues, or that it is being one sided and protecting / promoting, any vested interests (not that i am claiming or insinuating this in any way)

Please don't just delete this post and pretend I never asked the question.
    I have contributed to this site on many areas and would not like to see AAM being branded as being biased or serving the needs of any company, service or body. Please help reaffirm, too both myself and my fellow users, the impartiality and independence of this great site.

Thanks,
    Btooth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

babytooth wrote:
    I am sure that everyone here believes in free speech and a fair and impartial website, as long as no legal lines are crossed and no one person and/or company are libeled.
    Why are you so sure of that? Whoever owns, pays and runs a website can decide to run it whichever way they want.

Why bother to bring your gripes about AAM over to Boards.ie?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm leaving this thread open for now- if it does not develop into something of relevance to Boards users here, it gets recycled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭babytooth

i'm not stating any particular reason for their moderation or editorial policy.

I thought it might be of interest to some ppl here, who happen to members of both sites.
    I posted here as AAM has a habit of deleteing or locking down threads.

The thread on AAM has been locked down because the Founder of the website finds it offensive and nonsense.

I thought the freedom of speech was one of the greatest attributes of the internet, giving one and all a voice, a modern day "Speakers Corner".

If that's of no interest then fair enough, but if on the other hand it is, should you not defend the right to express your opinion.

Cheers,
    Bt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think it's of interest to a lot of the visitors to this forum that the most popular Irish financial discussion board has decided to close any threads that mention a potential property price decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

babytooth wrote:
    I thought the freedom of speech was one of the greatest attributes of the internet, giving one and all a voice, a modern day "Speakers Corner".

No offence pal, but when you register with a site like AAM or Boards.ie, then you abide by their terms and conditions.

They have every right to close a thread if they so wish - there is no free speech on someone else's website.

If you really want free speech, go set up your own website and post and moan the day away there if you like.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭babytooth

i totally agree with you nereid, but i believe editorial policy should be kept to a minimum, that ppl's opinions should be respected, that we should all defend the right of each and everyone of of us to express those opinions.

my query was in relation to why there policy seemed so one-sided to me. I may have been taking things up the wrong way or making incorrect inferences.

But they have closed down the most popular thread in their site, a thread that has been referred to on numerous occasions by the national media. they have also banned several ppl for expressing concern over this policy as well as closing down all threads remotely related to the subject matter sine this.

i merely asked them to clarify the position for me to ensure that i was fully aware of what their policy is.

but i have been told to go elsewhere if i want and that my remarks were insulting and offensive, Personally i can't see how they could seen as such, but then, i respect their opinion on what i have posted and i apologized if my post caused offense.

That did not go down well, so hopefully my second reply will alleviate this offense in some way.

thank.
    btooth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok- I am closing this thread- as strictly speaking it is not relevant to this forum. If you would like to discuss the property market feel free to do so- in a new thread. If you wish to discuss the aforementioned website- please find another venue.

Kind regards,

Shane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement