Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct X Problem

Options
  • 17-11-2006 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I've recently had to wipe my laptop and start from scratch (long story). I managed to find everything again but yesterday I re-installed a game (C&C Generals) and when I tried to run it I got an error message telling my that I need Direct X 8.1 or higher and to check my graphics card is compatable.. I installed Direct X and still got the message. My Google Earth is also giving problems, only allowing me to start in Open GL mode (whatever that is). Any suggestions anybody?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Most likely a round of software updates are necessary.

C&C Generals has it been patched to the most recent version as DX9 is backwards compatible with DX8 plus you cannot re-install DX8 once DX9 has been installed.

C&C Generals 1.08 patch

Install the latest build of DX9 from October 2006.

As for Google Earth OpenGL is another 3D API like Direct3D (which is part of Direct-X) nothing to worry about though it may indicate something is up with your display drivers if you cannot use the Direct3D mode.

What kind of graphics card have you got in your laptop as you may need to update the display drivers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers 8T8.
    Will give those a shot a ssoon as I get home. Let you know how it goes. Thanx again

Just to emphasize I think it may be your display driver that is the culprit here so that is what I would tackle first.

Will Do..........wait a minute.....what woud be the best way to go about that. The system is telling me the device is working properly.
    Kinda clueless when it comes to drivers and stuff

Actually, I also noticed that even the text in the browser is a little blocky. I put it down to the re-installation of Windows, maybe it knocked out a font or something. Must be a video driver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hamster boy did you reinstall your display drivers after your format? Its possible you're running in regular vga mode.

Right click on desktop, then properties, and settings - tell us what it says in display.

Just re-installed drivers and all is now well. Thanx you guys, good to know there's help out there when I need it

Actually, sorry for the dumb question but speaking of dx, would there be any significant problems in performance installing dx9 on a machine running an ancient card - have no idea myself actually :o

Nope wont have any effect install away if anything it's necessary even if the GPU doesn't do Direct3D 9 as the other API's in DX9 may be used by a title.

Example Quake 4 uses OpenGL 3D API for graphics but used Direct-Input 9 for control via keyboard/mouse.

Great thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement