Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3: Is Anyone Actually Going to Buy It?

Options
  • 17-11-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

From the price to the controls to the loss of some exclusive ps3 only game titles id love to know what the boards community is going to do, are we all going to bend over and let sony take us up the rear with their new console when its released or are we going to stand firm and say "feck off!" or something in the middle? Well lets see anyway.

Buying the PS3? 121 votes

Yes, Oh God Yes!
    0% 0 votes
    No feckin way!
    22% 27 votes
    Meh (Atari Jaguar)
    77% 94 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If we get a price drop and some big games by next Christmas I'd definitely be interested. But no way I'm paying a premium for such a limited line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

What is it €600 or so?
    No thanks.
    Although, I say that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Id only buy it for MGS4 and Resident Evil 5 (if that is still an exclusive).

Not this year and probably not next year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Rhyme wrote:
    Resident Evil 5 (if that is still an exclusive)
    It was never exclusive AFAIK, but its certainly not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Not going to touch the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Despite the negative reaction the hefty price tag is bound to attract, we all know that this thing will sell llike hot cakes no matter how expensive it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Certainly not in the near future. Way overpriced. I have a 360 and am more interested in a Wii than PS3 as a second console. I can see my little brother getting one but not untill the price comes way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Ciaran500 wrote:
    If we get a price drop and some big games by next Christmas I'd definitely be interested. But no way I'm paying a premium for such a limited line up.

Same here.
    I was actually going to buy it just as a cheap Bluray player, but looking at how the format war is going, dont think ill bother.

I can see myself getting a Wii soon after it launches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i will not buy it or any of its games new

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Nope, Sony can f**k right off!!!

I think Wii is the way to go anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Not a chance in hell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

If they say good things about the xbox360's HD_DVD player I might get that. If not I'll wait for PS3 and blue-ray. The wii wont do hi-def and that rules it out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Not until there is a significant price drop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

3 things will have to happen for me to buy one.

1. Price Drop. Significant price drop
    2. There's a lot of exclusive titles that I can justify the purchase
    3. Bluray wins the war.

So no. I won't be buying one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

besty wrote:
    Despite the negative reaction the hefty price tag is bound to attract, we all know that this thing will sell llike hot cakes no matter how expensive it is.

That is what Nintendo thought about the N64 ... and Sega about the Saturn before, and Atari etc etc

The history of video games is littered with the corpses of dead consoles whos companies got too arrogant about how "must have" they thought they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

sprinkles wrote:
    1. Price Drop. Significant price drop
    2. There's a lot of exclusive titles that I can justify the purchase

If there is quality games on it then I would definitly be interested. ATM though, I have 0 interest in it or any of the games coming out for it (OK, MGS yeah, but I will just borrow the console for that). I definitly won't buy in '07 or '08 (perhaps late '08).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I could maybe seen myself buying thi in about 3 years. Then it will be relatively cheap and should have a good library of games.

For the moment 360 is kisking ass, and Wii is less than 3 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Pretty much the same criteria will make me buy it as most people said already:
    -Price drop
    -Quality Exclusive titles (and it would need a fair few)
    -Blu-Ray becoming the way to go (which will probably take quite a while if it ever happens)

Besides my loathing of Sony I cant even get enough time to finish the games i have let alone get a new console that costs a ton and get through all those games too.

I'd have to get a time machine first to stop time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I could maybe seen myself buying thi in about 3 years. Then it will be relatively cheap and should have a good library of games.

For the moment 360 is kisking ass, and Wii is less than 3 weeks away.

What you said.

GOW, Halo 3 and GTA 4 + other games will keep me with the 360 till 2008 i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Vegeta wrote:
    I'd have to get a time machine first to stop time

Then you could sell it, and you'd probably get nearly enough for a ps3 on ebay. Or a down payment on one at least.

abelard wrote:
    Then you could sell it, and you'd probably get nearly enough for a ps3 on ebay. Or a down payment on one at least.

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Was holding out for one but all the sony bullsh!t has turned me against them and the price is ridiculous, so I went out and got me a 360 which I'm delighted with! And I used to hate xboxes and microsoft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Like everyone else i'm waiting for
    • A price drop, or two
    • Blu-ray not to end up like UMD, BetaMax et al
    • Something worth playing

1&2 might happen, but seeing as i've found nothing that really made me want to buy a Ps1 or 2, i'm doubtful of 3

A PC of decent spec and a Wii will probably give me everything i want from gaming for the forseable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Never going to get one.

I have a PS1 and 2 and they have brought me many hours of enjoyment, but ever since I got a decent PC, console gaming is dead to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, its not that I don't want one, its just its too bloody pricey and for the money there just isn't enough to differenciate it from the 360, which i have, I mean, most titles will be cross platform, so why would I bother for a slight graphical tweak, most folk never felt short changed with cross plaform titles between the PS2, Xbox and GC, don;t see how it'll change now, best wait for a good number of PS3 exclusives that I want to play to turn up, Christmas 07 I reckon, then maybe I'll probably pick one up, second hand and probably on Adverts.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

At launch, no. In the next couple of years, almost definitely.

Sony just have too many fantastic first party dev studios and big exclusives not to. I know a follow up to ICO/SOTC was confirmed to be in the works for PS3 a while back. MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, DMC4 are all coming, and I know they all may not live up to their billing but some will. There will undoubtedly be more.

Of the launch titles the only ones that interest me are Motorstorm which has been getting very positive previews, Formula 1(if it plays as well as it looks in videos, and I'm talking about sense of speed and handling and physics, not just graphics) and Calling All Cars which looks like good craic. Not worth 600 quid though. Resistance doesn't interest me any more than Gears of War or Halo so meh. I'll be waiting for the big hitters next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I will be getting one, not only will it have plenty of quality exclusives that I wouldn't miss; Ico 3, MGS 4, DMC 4 etc. But the fact is most of the multiformat games will most likely see their deffinative version on PS3... Just like Xbox had this gen.

Also the price is pretty much the same as what I paid for the PS2 when that launched so I don't have too much problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

No way. Ill be getting the Wii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I fyou already owned a hdtv then the ps3 would seem pretty good value...

but without it its just meh

Advertisement