Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3: Is Anyone Actually Going to Buy It?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Yeah sure. In a few years time, but yeah sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

caff wrote:
    I fyou already owned a hdtv then the ps3 would seem pretty good value...

but without it its just meh

so owning a hd-tv makes the ps3 good value?

granted there is a lot of technology in that box but i won't be buying one for the sheer fact that i can't afford one (and for the record i do have a hd-tv).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

probably get one a year or so after release, itll be cheaper then and have better games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

doubledown wrote:
    Never going to get one.

I have a PS1 and 2 and they have brought me many hours of enjoyment, but ever since I got a decent PC, console gaming is dead to me.
    actually i just had to reply to this, as i think its really sad to just deny console games cause youve a pc. i have a pc, ive had one for years, but just cause i played half life 2 on release day on pc, doesnt mean id chuck out my ps2 and miss out on games like shadow of the colossus, or gears f war which at the moment looks better than anything on a pc anyway. Sure pcs have shiny grapics and great multiplayer games, but youd be hard pressed to find something as original and fresh as sotc on a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

0ubliette wrote:
    ....youd be hard pressed to find something as original and fresh as sotc on a pc.
    Darwinia for one.

PC games will always be ahead of the pack in terms of originality imo because there is so many options to work with. However the wii may shift the balance in this slightly. I think he's right. If you have a decent PC there are plenty of each genre out there to keep you happy so as never to need a console. Personally I like the easiness of a console. Relax on the bed/couch and turn on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Cremo wrote:
    so owning a hd-tv makes the ps3 good value?

granted there is a lot of technology in that box but i won't be buying one for the sheer fact that i can't afford one (and for the record i do have a hd-tv).

It is good value, its the cheapest blu-ray player out there, so if you have a hd-tv and want a blu ray player and have the money then its better value than buying a stand alone one.

Conversly, if you dont have a hd-tv its quite expensive.. paying for this next gen console who flashy grpahics you are playing for can only really be appreicated on a hd-tv uping the price by a grand for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Not a chance til MGS4 appears. And it's cheaper, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It is good value, its the cheapest blu-ray player out there, so if you have a hd-tv and want a blu ray player and have the money then its better value than buying a stand alone one.
    I for one have absolutely no interest in a blu-ray player.

I already have a 360 and dont see myself paying so much cash for a couple of exclusives. Maybe I'll buy it near the end of its lifecycle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sprinkles wrote:
    PC games will always be ahead of the pack in terms of originality imo because there is so many options to work with. However the wii may shift the balance in this slightly. I think he's right. If you have a decent PC there are plenty of each genre out there to keep you happy so as never to need a console. Personally I like the easiness of a console. Relax on the bed/couch and turn on the telly.

I think there is a lot more originality coming from the japanese developers than we see on the PC. I like my PC but I couldn't live without the japanese console games. I like the immediacy of them but are still very deep and engaging while PC games require you to have a few hours to sink into them. I'm also sick of the continual use of boring sci-fi and lotr fantasy settings. Very few does these right (blizzard and bioware being exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'll pick one up next year in Japan, because I am weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

caff wrote:

not by much tbh, samsung have one for $600, although the fact it plays games aswell does give it a few points in its favor. but thats about it.

The 360 has had a rash of excellent games over the last few months and tbh after seeing the lineup of films coming out in hd-dvd versus blu-ray, id pick the HD-DVD. so that means the HD attachment for the xbox for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

When I can afford it, I might get it. Chances are that's a long time from now. It'll be ages before I can even get a job afterall. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

For all you people waiting for MGS4, id start sweating http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/29/rumor-metal-gear-solid-4-not-a-ps3-exclusive/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

For all of you who need it urgently and cannot wait I would hesitate to recomend the follow top quality box....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-PLAYSTATION-3-60-Gig-BlueRay-box_W0QQitemZ320050284882QQihZ011QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/B]

Baraboo

[/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ps3launchonlyonxbox360ls1ox2.jpg
    :D

jaggeh wrote:
    so that means the HD attachment for the xbox for me.

The fact that certain people have managed to use the attachment with PC's as well means it will be a nice cheap(ish) option of playing HD movies on yer computer.
    This has the potential to sway many peoples' opinions in favor of HD over BD, which Sony doesnt want, given its track record with proprietary formats.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/hd+dvd/xbox-360-hddvd-player-on-pc-214479.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think that film studios haven't really started putting out blu ray releases yet as the players haven't really taken off yet. Remember hd-dvd launched in japan a good while ago so naturally there will be more releases.

However film studios like DRM, they like anti-piracy measures and thats why a lot of them are behind blu-ray too. Plus when you add hp and dell to the equation, it seems even more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

jaggeh wrote:
    after seeing the lineup of films coming out in hd-dvd versus blu-ray, id pick the HD-DVD. so that means the HD attachment for the xbox for me.

more studios are interested in blu-ray, so more films will eventually come on that format. studios like the attachment to a machine which has more fans then most countries have people, as well as the idea that sony bowed to their demands about copy protection etc.

you can pop into hmv now and check out blu-ray titles. i've yet to see any hd-dvd ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks for the lol Ciaran500 :D

I'm sure there will be one must have title released on the PS3 sometime soon and that unfortunately will be all it takes for me to buy one. However it won't be until there is a price cut. 600 for a console and some extra features I'll never use is more than I can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Advertisement

WOW indeed. People have to realise it's just a console ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm going to wait for other people to bend over and take it in the rear and then I'll buy one when the price drops, which it will when all the bending over people have paid for the development costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's so sad to see everyone buying the console -- so they can sell it on for profit.
    Nothing like the Wii launch; Mr Potatamoto got it right in creating lots of units so it's bought by gamers, for gaming on.

And to those saying it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player -- I bet you that Blu-Ray players will be €100+ cheaper than the cheapest PS3 by the time it launches in Europe! That is, if it hasn't been beaten by DVD/HD-DVD by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Im not sure how accurate this is, or even could be... but for what its worth: http://nexgenwars.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blow Me

amp wrote:
    I'm going to wait for other people to bend over and take it in the rear and then I'll buy one when the price drops, which it will when all the bending over people have paid for the development costs.

lol @ the fanboy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    It's so sad to see everyone buying the console -- so they can sell it on for profit.
    Nothing like the Wii launch; Mr Potatamoto got it right in creating lots of units so it's bought by gamers, for gaming on.

And to those saying it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player -- I bet you that Blu-Ray players will be €100+ cheaper than the cheapest PS3 by the time it launches in Europe! That is, if it hasn't been beaten by DVD/HD-DVD by then...

I'll take that bet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe in two or three years. MGS/DMC4 are going to be tempting, but I'm going to wait til it drops down to 200 yo yos :)
    *prepares for long - if not infinite - wait*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wrt the violence

comicdepressing4.png

*chuckle*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't get it :(

• Advertisement

you're not alone :confused:

Advertisement