Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books Request

• 17-11-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a book that covers the marches against taxation of the 1970s and 1980s ? I have heard references to the marches several times over the years from the older generations and through the media. I am interested in the inequalities that existed, the reasons and the out comes, and how they where affected by the infamous 1977 budget.

The 1977 was supposed to be the giveaway budget to end all give away budgets, but yet the following year the workers in the population centres marched against paying a disproportionate amount of tax, they payed 86% of all income tax, surely the workers should have been happy after the 1977 budget ? Anyone know of a book covering this ?

Comments

IIRC,the irony about that period in my opinion is that the position workers were in at the time of those marches was considerably better tax wise than in the mid 80's.
    By then the country had spiralled into huge debts with exponentially rising tax rates to help pay the piper.
    The biggest decision in '77 was to abolish Rates on houses which left a big hole in council budgets that had to be filled from somewhere.

As for books,I think Siptu might be able to help you there as I think John Carroll was heavily involved in those protests ( I think he's dead now though) but he may have wrote a book or have an autobiography of some kind.

I'll leave it up to the students around here to have more of an eye for whats available on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Despite the high taxation, there wasn't much to tax, so spending could only rise by a certain amount. People were being taxed to the hilt, but were not seeing the value of taxation in equally valuable public services.

The 1977 budget was not so much a 'give away' budget as we are now led to believe. As mentioned by Tristrame, the real problem was the abolition of rates.

Erm, don't know any good books, by the way. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey,
    I didn't want to start a new thread for my book request and I apologise if this is in some way hijacking the op's request.

I am a second year business student in DIT and have taken economics as an elective, having started studying it in school and last year.

I have a project to do and don't really know where to start with regard to references so have fallen back on boards in order to get started.

Basically I'm looking for books that would discuss from an economic point of view, the banking, airline, food retailling and software development industries in Ireland, Europe or the world as a whole.
    Basically just talking about things like how (if at all) firms have achieved efficiency and how growth has been achieved.

I've done various google search's but have come up with little more then the odd article and a few companys discussing their growth etc.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out.

regards
    Luke

bump, approaching project deadline date in two weeks and still dont have much external research sources outside of the ones given by the lecturer.

Any links would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think that you're going to have to hit the college library database.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what I did, found some interesting enough stuff on google scholar as well, it looks like I have a lot of reading to do...

A lot of the theses found on google scholar are based on America and their industries.

Advertisement