Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf rear-wheel drive. Do they exist?

Options
  • 17-11-2006 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Trying to collect a bit of info on This VW.Anyone out there with a better knowledge on Golfs than myself,can you tell me did a production model of a rear-wheel drive ever exist?Any help appreciated

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

hi im no expert but there's no production rear wheel-drive models in the VW Golf, infact there are no front mounted-engine, rear wheel-drive models at all from VW.:eek: . But, anything with the word 'Syncro' as part of the model name (e.g.: Golf Syncro, Passat Syncro) as well as the Golf Rallye and Golf Country were all 4WD versions of the usual front wheel-drive cars.

hope this helps..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Drive a regular Golf in reverse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There was a twin-engined one in the mid '80s......I think. Just for show, mind, with a 1.8 Gti engine at each end: would that do? :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

There is / was a golf in the uk that had tvr V8 running gear. Engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Remove the front driveshafts from a syncro and you have a rear drive vehicle, I seem to recall it was done one time in a UK show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

You can put in rear wheel drive to golfs, the chassis of a gold can accept 4 wheel drive so i would say rear wheel isen't a problem.
    These lads can put rear wheel drive in your motor:
    www.hpamotorsport.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

the R32 and V6 4Motion models have 4 wheel drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

...a production model of a rear-wheel drive ever exist?....

Never heard of a production one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Hello,

Trying to collect a bit of info on This VW.Anyone out there with a better knowledge on Golfs than myself,can you tell me did a production model of a rear-wheel drive ever exist?Any help appreciated

Cheers.

Why don't you just buy a RWD car if that's what you want dude:confused:

Do you REALLY like the Golf's that much? I suppose it would be different alright, if that's what ya want;)

I assume its one of those questions that comes in a pub and it starts to bug you! I think some of the 4WD golfs put post of the drive to the rear until its needed at the front. But theres a few different 4wd systems over the years, so I guess you'd have to read up on them. The G60 Rallye and Synchros etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

I assume its one of those questions that comes in a pub and it starts to bug you! I think some of the 4WD golfs put post of the drive to the rear until its needed at the front. But theres a few different 4wd systems over the years, so I guess you'd have to read up on them. The G60 Rallye and Synchros etc.

No production RWD models that I know of
    however there have been many conversions like porsche 928 into a mk1 golf
    & a few mid engined golfs & polos
    & of course there is a mk1 golf up in northern ireland with a BMW 325i engine & RWD setup although it never seems to be as quick as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

opeldave wrote:
    No production RWD models that I know of
    however there have been many conversions like porsche 928 into a mk1 golf
    & a few mid engined golfs & polos
    & of course there is a mk1 golf up in northern ireland with a BMW 325i engine & RWD setup although it never seems to be as quick as it should be.
    Mk1's are a light car but a 325 engine would only have about 200bhp if tuned, so it would not have the pace of a modern subaru etc.

Like people above said, no production RWD golf, only 4wd versions.

Several conversions including a couple of mk3 golfs with twin Vr6 engines, 1 in front 1 in rear, one guy built the two. Some amount of work to complete it. Twin gearboxes etc.:eek:

No production ones though...

Advertisement