Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reverse Phone Numbers

• 17-11-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi guys,

Is there ANY way that i can find out who owns an unknown mobile phone number that has been making text contact with me the past while? They wouldn't reveal their identity so i told them to F**K off and stop being childish at an early stage...

Basically they gave me a few 'clues' as to who they were which were all leading towards an ex of mine, but im pretty sure it was someone trying to catch me out... Id like to be able to find out if my suspicions are right before i make any further moves, i would like to get back in contact with the ex in question if it is him but id like to make sure first...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Check to see if your mobile provider has caller ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Check to see if your mobile provider has caller ID.

The know the phone number already but its an unknown no. If they just buy a pay as you go phone there is no need to register it to anyone. OP have you tried ringing the phone. Use someone else's phone to ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Having been there and asked those questions.. there is nothing your operator can do (unless you know someone who has access to such records).

You will have to lodge a formal complaint with your local Garda and they will follow it up with the operator.

Apart from that, all you can do is try and get more clues, check with all your mates to make sure no one is taking the pi$$ etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i told them to F**K off and stop being childish at an early stage.
    That was your mistake - you took the bait. Ignore any such texts. The sender will soon get píssed off with no response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hankyspanky123

Sorry i didnt make myself fully clear, the person was sending text messages to me so i have A number just not a name...

The reason i thought i was weird is because iv tried calling the number since and its been turned off constantly. I have another number for the ex that i mentioned, not sure if he still uses it or what but i guess i could text him and ask...

Thing is we dont be in contact much and when we are i get the impression hes not interested so i dont want to persue him and have him thinkin im some crazy ladee :p

I guess the answer to my question is no, there is no way of finding out the name attached to the number :(

• Advertisement

The reason i thought i was weird is because iv tried calling the number since and its been turned off constantly.

Could be sending them from the internet. Their phone doesn't need to be on for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Archeron

Try and ring its voicemail box. If they have a personalized greeting, you'll hear their name then, Chances are they wont have a personalized one if they're a creepy stalker, but no harm trying.
    To call the voice mail box directly, dial 08* then a 5, then the rest of the number as normal.

Archeron wrote:
    Try and ring its voicemail box. If they have a personalized greeting, you'll hear their name then, Chances are they wont have a personalized one if they're a creepy stalker, but no harm trying.
    To call the voice mail box directly, dial 08* then a 5, then the rest of the number as normal.

The phones off when the op tried ringing it. If it was setup it would have went straight to voicemail. I think there is fook all to do in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That was your mistake - you took the bait. Ignore any such texts. The sender will soon get píssed off with no response.

yes, and spam them months down the line :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Get a new chip, they are about 5 euros.

Send an SMS out to your friends to use the new phone number on the sim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭claire-g

Hobbes wrote:
    Get a new chip, they are about 5 euros.

Send an SMS out to your friends to use the new phone number on the sim.

Ya this sounds like the best option.........but if u were still curious do u know anyone working in the phone company this person is registered, potentially they cud check for u...its illegal but can be done......allegedly!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

claire-g wrote:
    Ya this sounds like the best option.........but if u were still curious do u know anyone working in the phone company this person is registered, potentially they cud check for u...its illegal but can be done......allegedly!!!
    And if they're caught they'll be sacked!

You could go to the guards as suggested, but they'll be looking for you to keep a record of all text messages received from this person. They'll notify the phone operator to view phone records, and try and sort something out, which normally would include cautioning this person. You'll probably never find out who it is though.

Best solution, keep any text messages or copies of them and don't reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Surely if ur txting the number and txting this person regularly they have the phone switched on (so they can reply etc..) which leads me to believe they have your number barred from calling it, (can be done on all networks easy to setup from ur handset, it wont stop texts though) hence you go straight to voicemail when you ring it, so thing is to ring the number off a phone that they wouldnt be expecting, be it a payphone (if u find one that works!) or another persons mobile number.....

I wouldnt go contacting your ex just yet, he'd probably think your a nutbag (in the nicest way possible!) who's looking to see him again....

Try catch the number out, maybe it is one of ur mates or some crazy acquaintance you met at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Have you tried googling the number? Definitely a shot in the dark, but could be worth the five seconds it would take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

LOL... Not too long ago I was getting txts and calls in the wee hours of the night from some crazy burd who thinks I'm an ex of her's, she thinks I've been calling her... I tried explaining to her I'd no idea who she is but she kept on nagging, so I've just been ignoring her, she stopped txting for a few weeks but sent another last weekend >_<

I just deleted the message, she doesn't answer if I actually do try to call her! :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

azezil wrote:
    LOL... Not too long ago I was getting txts and calls in the wee hours of the night from some crazy burd who thinks I'm an ex of her's, she thinks I've been calling her... I tried explaining to her I'd no idea who she is but she kept on nagging, so I've just been ignoring her, she stopped txting for a few weeks but sent another last weekend >_<

I just deleted the message, she doesn't answer if I actually do try to call her! :rolleyes:
    god we need to invent a "drunk lock" for the common mobile phone...sent some texts last night i shouldnt have...no responses from those that recieved them yet though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Report it to your operator & the Gardai. They should be able to trace the caller through the inbound CDRs (Call Detail Records) for each call received by their network. You could also report it to their operator too if you know who the operator is. You can check this by dialling their number.

If there is a "pip" or "beep" just after you dial (even if their phone is switched off) it means that their number has been ported to another operator. For example, if it is an 087 (originally Vodafone) number & you hear the "pip" that number is now assigned to O2, Meteor or 3. Therefore, if there is no "pip" you are good to go & report them to Vodafone. Vodafone would then be able to trace them by the outbound CDR from their network.

I'd imagine that the Gardai would have to request this trace to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭claire-g

splinter wrote:
    god we need to invent a "drunk lock" for the common mobile phone...sent some texts last night i shouldnt have...no responses from those that recieved them yet though...

Ya, drunken texting is a curse of our time.......i shudder to think of some ive sent :cool:

claire-g wrote:
    Ya, drunken texting is a curse of our time.......i shudder to think of some ive sent :cool:

Worse thing ever invented is being able to see the texts you have sent the next morning. I used to have a phone that you couldn't see them so I could happily go about my week like nothing happened. Then I would see the person the next weekend and the cringing starts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Hill Billy wrote:
    Report it to your operator & the Gardai. They should be able to trace the caller through the inbound CDRs (Call Detail Records) for each call received by their network. You could also report it to their operator too if you know who the operator is. You can check this by dialling their number.

If there is a "pip" or "beep" just after you dial (even if their phone is switched off) it means that their number has been ported to another operator. For example, if it is an 087 (originally Vodafone) number & you hear the "pip" that number is now assigned to O2, Meteor or 3. Therefore, if there is no "pip" you are good to go & report them to Vodafone. Vodafone would then be able to trace them by the outbound CDR from their network.

I'd imagine that the Gardai would have to request this trace to be done.
    wow learn something new everyday, thanks for that mate :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

petes wrote:
    Worse thing ever invented is being able to see the texts you have sent the next morning. I used to have a phone that you couldn't see them so I could happily go about my week like nothing happened. Then I would see the person the next weekend and the cringing starts.

Its a habbit of mine aswell i have had 5min conversations wit people at 3 o clock in the morning and when i look i dont have the number in my phone book:eek: and the txts i send :( drink:rolleyes: id say try ringing the number on a phone that isnt yours see who answers say your looking for someone else.works every time;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH with redirect. Feel free to bounce it back. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Garda really won't do a thing for you.

I was getting threatening messages on my voicemail at one stage with a guy saying he was going to kill me and cut me up. I went to the guards with it and they wouldn't even listen to the messages and fobbed me off by saying it was probably just some kids messing... even though it was clearly a grown mans voice on the phone.

I had my number changed instead and I've stopped using voicemail altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thetank

If the has a 087 number ther might be a way to track him down. If that's the case reply to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I tried with the Gardai before, even gave them the name and address of the person doing it along with their phone number - they came back to me 5 months later with my outgoing call records. They seem to have more important things to do with their time (granted, people are getting shot and stabbed bla bla bla ... but after 6 months this is what they came back to be with!).

Get a Nokia Symbian phone which can let you block texts from certain numbers (I've seen apps you can install to do this, but can't remember them for the life of me).

Whoeevers idea it was to buy a SIMPACK and use the 5EUR credit to texts your mates your new number - don't .. just don't. If it's someone you know they'll get your new number again, and why should you change your number because of some asshole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thetank wrote:
    If the has a 087 number ther might be a way to track him down. If that's the case reply to this.
    I'd love to know more ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

thetank wrote:

Make friends with someone who works in a Vodafone agent or in Vodafone HQ.
    Good old V Connect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

azezil wrote:

LOL, if only she knew! :D

Play along, arrange to meet her in the G, ya might end up getting a good hag out of it! ;)

B

Advertisement