Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heater Advice

Options
  • 17-11-2006 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've question about storage heaters. Just moved into a new place, with big thick stone walls (so potentially a cold place!)... There are a number of storage heaters in the flat and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to use them...

They've no timers, no switches apart from the one on the wall for the mains and 2 knobs (one controlling the "early" and "Late" boost, the other the "input" 1-9 based on weather conditions). I know that they work on the principle of storing heat during the off peak times, and releasing it later etc.

Was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to maximise their use i.e. not heating an empty house during the day and keeping us warm at night/morning when we're actually there.

Cheers
    Bren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Storage heaters heat from 11pm to 8am so they are hottest in the morning.
    The bricks are in an insulated box to retain the heat as long as possible.
    There is a little flap along the top which is controlled by the boost control.
    All you can do is set the boost as late as possible and the little flap will stay shut until the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

This type of 'Nightsaver' heating is some of the worst heating system ever devised. First check if you are on Nightssaver with ESB to get the savings If you're not and you're not going to be there during the day I wouldn't bother with it. Use the timer to have the boost come on in the morning and just turn them on manually when you come in at night. Otherwise it'll be warm all day when you're not there and cold when you come in - a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

Cheers guys!

Advertisement