Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW choice : E36 Coupe or E46 Saloon ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

The e36 coupe will be a better drive.
    It will have stiffer suspension and the steering will be much better.
    The early E46's 98-01 had over assisted and too many turns to lock power steering and a relatively soft suspension which takes from the driving experience.
    This was rectified with quicker less assisted steering and stiffer suspension on the facelift 02 3 series. Go drive both in order to decide yourself but if it was me I'd either cough up extra for a 02 or get an E36 coupe or E36 saloon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

How about an e36 M3 saloon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

In my opinion, if you're after a fun car then it's the E36 All the way, i've driven several examples of both the E36 and E46 and have found the e36 to be far more enjoyable as there's more "feel" to the driving experience.
    If you dont mind me asking, what would roughly be your budget?

You say you'd go for a 328i, but you seem to want an M3, An Early E36 M3 Can be got for around the same as a top spec 328i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Fey! wrote:
    How about an e36 M3 saloon?

I hadn't really considered that Fey. I never really liked the look of the e36 Saloon. But I did a search there now on your suggestion and I think this looks like a beaut.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_large_image_popup.asp?id=200643254567907&channel=CARS&adcategory=CARS&largeId=400881214

It's working out about 10k. Maybe one or two grand out of my budget, or maybe I could stretch to it. Definately something I will consider now. Thanks for that suggestion.
    In my opinion, if you're after a fun car then it's the E36 All the way, i've driven several examples of both the E36 and E46 and have found the e36 to be far more enjoyable as there's more "feel" to the driving experience.
    If you dont mind me asking, what would roughly be your budget?

You say you'd go for a 328i, but you seem to want an M3, An Early E36 M3 Can be got for around the same as a top spec 328i

Budget, I would say about maybe 8k. I have two cars at the moment that I am trying to get rid of and I reckon I'd get about 8 for the two of them together.

To be honest..... I suppose I am a bit chicken about going for an M3. Not even really sure why. It would be a big jump from what I have now and I was kind of thinking the 323 would be something to try first. But after looking up the saloons as Fey suggested above, I would definately think a bit more.

This might sound like a daft question.... but anyway... Would an M3 be a difficult car to live with ?

Ok,

Many people are scared off the M3 because it's An M car and they think it'll be a scary tempermental beast. It's not that bad, the later M3 Evo can give a bit of hassle but a well maintained Earlier M3 should give no more trouble than one of the other non M 6cylinders.
    You can get M3 3litres for 8 to 10 grand, not usually absolute mint concours spec cars but good clean useable ones can be got for this much. Of course it needs more servicing and more regular maintenance but remember that they a a proper baby supercar.

If you'd still rather not goet an M3 then please don't go for a 323i as it's just a strangled and detuned 325i. 170bhp instead of 192. they feel asthmatic and wheezy to drive. You sound like you'd have no probs with insurance if you would consider an m3 so instead of a 323i go for a 325i or 328i, far better than the 323.

• Advertisement

Just been on carzone.ie myself lookin for some class of big cruiser and happened upon an M3 for 8,250 which might be worth a look.
    There's also a few in this week's autotrader magazine.
    Just thought i'd add that in before i forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

dont forget that is 8k plus the vrt! personally you would have better choice if you were going across the sea.

Also from my only recent experience of owning a bmw it really does pay off the spend that little bit extra on a well serviced/looked after e36,then buy a slightly cheaper one that needs tidying up.

my 2c

good look with the buy!
    Simon

Nom-Iiz is right about looking for a better cared for car, especially with an M car.

If you want owner feedback, try here: http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=18.

It's free to register, and if you ask whatever questions you have niggles about, you should get a very good, knowledgable responses from M car owners.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I had a 323i Coupe and it was the best car I have ever owned (see pic), sorry I sold it tbh. I was/am looking at M3's for the future but it's getting harder to find a good one for decent money. In your position a post-Nikasil 328i Sport sounds good, they're amazing cars.

Nikasil effected the straight sixes up to around March/April 1998 on build date, IIRC. Not sure about the V's.

HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

In relation to some comments above, bare in mind that 328i tax is 1031 euro a year vs 323i tax at 821euro / year. BMW Car mag describe the E36 323i as the "best 6 pot in the range". It may have 170bhp vs 192 bhp in the 325i but the thats a peak power figure. Peak torque on the 323i as the same as the 325i at 181ft/Ibs and arrives at slightly lower RPM so real world performance is compariable to the 325i. Car magazine tested the 323i saloon in 1996 and did a 0-60 in 7.3secs on 205/15's.

Advertisement