Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT/C&W connection problem

Options
  • 17-11-2006 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Hoping you can help out here. I recently switched to BT broadband and after initially connecting fine I have since lost the ability to connect. I have a Cable & Wireless 802.11g wireless router which tells me I have a connection (Signal Quality is reported as 'excellent') but it refuses to find the web.

When I try to setup/configure my modem again it tries to connect to 10.0.0.2 (this worked up until a couple of days ago) but it can't connect, either from my broadband connection at home or from my work LAN. I can ping the address without a problem - anyone have any tips as to what I should try? I don't know if this is a BT problem or my problem and I'm tired of waiting 45 minutes on the phone for their tech support only to be cut off :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

It all sounds s bit confusing you say Hi folks,

"I have a Cable & Wireless 802.11g wireless router which tells me I have a connection (Signal Quality is reported as 'excellent')" is this the connection from you PC to your router, if it is your LAN is working OK.

"When I try to setup/configure my modem again it tries to connect to 10.0.0.2 (this worked up until a couple of days ago) but it can't connect" this sounds like the admin interface of the router you are trying to connect to? Did you configure this router when it was bought, did you change the admin interface IP?

Are you trying to ping 10.0.0.2 from you work address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Sounds like its your issue if you cant ping 10.*.*.* from home its you lan and if your trying to ping 10.*.*.* from an outside address it wont work because its a reserved private IP range

Have you done an ipconfig, are you on the same subnet as the router.

have you looked at the routers config tried to run diagnostics

Scratch that just re your post I'm an idiot you can ping the 10.* address.

Dp you have a manual for the modem which tells you how to access it directly, you may need to factory reset it and put in the BT settings again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭bigears

Hi parliament,
    is this the connection from you PC to your router, if it is your LAN is working OK.
    Yes, this is the connection from PC to router. It does report that the LAN is OK. I've tried this both via wireless and via ethernet and it seems OK this far.
    this sounds like the admin interface of the router you are trying to connect to? Did you configure this router when it was bought, did you change the admin interface IP?
    Yes, this is the admin interface. I configured it when I bought the router a couple of years ago to connect to UTV. I was able to access this interface (it prompted for user/pass) earlier this week but now it fails to reach this page.
    Edit: I changed the ISP user/password to connect to BT earlier this week and access was fine afterwards.

Edit: corrected ip address below
    Are you trying to ping 10.0.0.2 from you work address?
    From home and from work, it works on both. From work I can access the web fine via the corporate LAN but it still won't access the http://10.0.0.2 from the web. As for changing the admin IP, I wouldn't know how.

hi nellies,
    Dp you have a manual for the modem which tells you how to access it directly, you may need to factory reset it and put in the BT settings again.
    The manual is on CD and it's crap, it doesn't go into any detail. The CD has a 'config' menu option which tries to access the same page as the 'Setup' menu. This is far as I get as it's the same page as above.

So if I hit the reset button on the router it will reset everything and I can try and set it up again? I might try this and see if it makes a difference. I have the settings for BT, so assuming I can get to the page after the reset this may sort it.

How do I know if I'm on the same subnet as the router? Will it show a subnet for my PC and the router separately or is this how it works?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

well you are currenlty, by virtue of the fact that you can ping it.

It sounds like it will operate under 10.0.0.1 when you reset it and your PC should pick up a similar IP automatically

You won't be able to ping 10.0.0.2 or any 10.x.x.x IP from your work connection (unless you have that range on your corporate LAN) as this is a private IP. This is the IP of your home LAN only, your router will have a WAN IP on its WAN port.

If you can connect to 10.0.0.2 from home then the LAN is working, you will need to log on to you router and check if the router modem is connecting ie does it obtain an IP address, is the line syncing , is authentication failing....thats where you need to start

OK, that makes sense regarding the ping. Funnily enough I thought I got a successful ping from work earlier but I must have been mistaken because when I try it now it fails.

It pings fine from home, so as you say the LAN must be working. Unfortunately I don't know how to configure the router other than clicking on the router's own CD which tries to connect to (you guessed it) the ip address I mentioned. Is there somewhere I can look up how to do this manually or does it vary depenging on the modem/router itself? I don't get as far as putting in the router's admin user/pass anymore as the page doesn't connect...

Get the ipconfig on your home pc, the default gateway IP should be the admin interface IP for the router you need to go to this IP and login to check the connection status (or check the LED's on the front of the router)

If you can't remember the password for the router you can always hit the rest button which will revert back to factory settings. The password will then be the manufacturer default (printed on the router or in the manual) you will however need to know you username and password and config for connecting to you ISP

Great, that gives me something to go on. I have the usernames/passwords i need so I'll give it a blast over the weekend. Thanks for your help guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement