Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Doorframes / Architraves

Options
  • 17-11-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi, got work done to the house and got new wooden archtrivates. we want to paint them white, so painting them with a primer undercoat at the moment. my question is: there is a few small chunks, holes from knots, imperfections, etc. in the archtraves - should I fill these with wood filler, pollyfilla, etc. or am I being to much of a perfectionist?!! any advice much appeciated!! :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

PRman wrote:
    Hi, got work done to the house and got new wooden archtrivates. we want to paint them white, so painting them with a primer undercoat at the moment. my question is: there is a few small chunks, holes from knots, imperfections, etc. in the archtraves - should I fill these with wood filler, pollyfilla, etc. or am I being to much of a perfectionist?!! any advice much appeciated!! :):)

Ideally use Knotting on the knots - it keeps any resin back
    Then prime
    Then fill & sand
    Then undercoat & gloss

It really all depends on your own standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Hi Borzoi, cheers for your post. I'll try the knotting solution, though I had thought the primer would elimate the need for this? what filler should I use - wood filler or will pollyfilla do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I prime then I use linseed putty for nail holes, polyfilla for knot holes and raised grain, and then when that's all been sanded and dusted, apply a generous layer of undercoat and allow to dry.
    Then I use a caulking gun to seal down the door stop, the arch inside and wall side. Use a wet rag to rub the caulk bead into the gaps.
    Allow to cure for 24 hours then apply your topcoat(s)

I rarely use knotting (only on solid wood doors). By the time knots manage to make their way through 3-4 layers of oil paint, it's usually time for a re-paint anyways...

Advertisement