Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will the world end?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Steyr wrote:
    On a Monday because EVERYBODY hates Monday's and what better way to punish us then have the World end on a Monday.:D

Surely they would punish us by letting us live out a horrible Monday and then wipe us out later on in the week? :)

Anyway, I think we're pretty much due for an asteroid to hit but that won't destroy the world. I wonder what will...

Aliens? Massive world war? Global warming?

What will come first? It would be a great experiance to encounter. Too bad it won't be for billions of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ManBearPig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I reckon a Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Canary's falling in to the sea will cause a devestating tsunami on the East Coast of America. As I understand it, the land behind the Canaries (ie West Coast of Europe), won't be effected nearly as bad, even though we're closer.

Asteroids certainly can cause plenty of damage, and there's so many millions of them out there that we can't possibly keep our eyes on all of them, meaning that we could be taken by suprise one of these years with little warning (a year or two at most, if we're lucky), which still gives us little time to react to it.

Yellowstone is overdue for an explosion too - an explosion like none other seen in human history.

We're due another flu epidemic too like the one early last centruy which wiped out 100m people. And who knows what other diseases might emerge to wipe us out.

Then there's the turning of the earth's magnatism - north becomes south and south becomes north - that's bound to have effects.

And of course global warming.

Or a world-destroying nuclear bomb.

I think life (though not human life) will continue right up until the end, when the sun starts to expand and ends up absorbed into the outer corona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

about 6mins and 22 seconds after my bird finds out what really happen to her... I've said to much already...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The world does not have an end, cause it's round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Did the world end yet? I thought it was fcuked back in the 6th of June according to the news.
    ;)

Mike.
    Did you every forget that little sig of yours?:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

quickbeam wrote:
    The Canary's falling in to the sea will cause a devestating tsunami on the East Coast of America.
    How can the likes of tweety cause a tsunami?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Hasn't the OP heard of Google. Just type in your question. The answer to everything is on Google.

I think we are due an ice age soon. They say the same about buses though.

EDIT: Did a Google myself and found this piece which seems a bit more realistic than saying next Tuesday at 3:17 pm.

Its three (short) pages long

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97756&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The sun expands
    The moon slows the earths rotation so both face each other and then comes back in to us
    Our galaxy is due to meet andromoda
    all have similar timescales

IIRC protons or neutrons in atoms have half lifes so all the matter not in black holes will disintergrate
    and the black holes will evaporate too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

OP presumably you meant the planet iteslf as opposed to human existence? The sun has about (estimated) 5 billion years of juice left in the tank. Around that time the nuclear reaction that fuels the sun (hydrogen converting to helium) will start to run out of hydrogen. The sun will begin to swell to what's called a 'red giant', engulfing the earth before it eventually contracts to an extremely dense white dwarf. That will be the end of planet earth. As for us humans, I don't think we'll have to concern ourselves too much with any of that. We'll either be long extinct and long forgotten, or whatever evolved from us may be inhabiting other worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It'll happen when it happens... no point getting your knickers in a twist about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

There have been 5 mass extinctions on Earth so far with the last one being the one 65 million years ago that killed off the dinosaurs. We're currently undergoing a 6th mass extinction and it isn't a asteroid this time it's the human race that's causing so many species across the earth to be wiped out.

As for asteroid impacts that might threaten us there isn't too much to be woried about... One named Apophis will be passing very close to the Earth in 2029 and should be very visible in the sky, now depending on how the Earth's gravity affects Apophis's orbit at that time it might be able to hit us on it's next visit in in 2036. The odds stand at about 1 in 6000 at the moment.

There is another one with a 1 in 600 chance of hitting the Earth and it's over a kilometre wide, so it would do serious damage. But it's not due until 2880 and I should hope that if the human race is still around by then we should be more than able for it.

If im a right the 2036 asteroid will actually pass between the earth and the moon on its orbit, is its size large enough to effect the tides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

chamlis wrote:
    I don't think people realise how much of a threat asteroids actually pose to our planet. Everyone has an idea, but really.......it's much worst than you think.
    Indeed, there's a big one coming our way in 2029 which we'll be able to see in ... *gulp* ... 2012!

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0726/p01s04-stss.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ScumLord wrote:
    Anyone at anytime could predict Europeans and Middle Eastern would have some sort of war in the future we've been at each others throats ever since Jebus and Muhammad decided God liked it better their way.
    It's been a lot longer than that - http://www.thebricktestament.com/
    I wouldn't be to worried about asteroids if there's any animal that can survive that it's us. We've been on the brink of extinction at least once before we're well used to it at this stage.
    Only if we leave the planet, cf. The High Frontier , G K O Neill / The British Interplanetry Society. The KT event was a slap on the wrist compared to the Permian extenction event that killed off 95% of all species, glaciers within 10 degrees of the equator.
    The biggest worry has to be peak oil but that's only going to kill off most of us, some will survive.
    No it won't. Transport will take a hit, but 100 years ago Dublinliners from as far as Blessington could take the tram to work. As for farming, most of us need to go on a diet, and there is a glut of food in the world, almost all famines being caused by artificial restrictions on food due to profiteering or wars not lack of food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The day after tomorrow.

Forget asteroids, chances are Cancer will claim us all in the next coupla hundred years if we don't get the finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dunno if this is right forum for this question, but am just interested in what everyone else's answers would be to this....

It's like one of those burning questions that used to feature in FHM !

I've got my answer on this, but wanna hear what y'all think before my boring answer.

Sensible responses only pls !

Ah you will get lots of those in After Hours. *ahem* My world just ended when I read this, so long cruel world!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ruu wrote:
    Ah you will get lots of those in After Hours. *ahem* My world just ended when I read this, so long cruel world!:(
    Hoorah! Bout feckin time this t'internet thing ended, more trouble than it's worth I tells ye...

*waves stick*

Advertisement