Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Premiership Games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If thats the case and its a badly kept secret, surely rafaf knows and can sit down with gerrard, say "look stevie, your head isnt in it, and we cant afford any passengers at the minute,so take a couple of matches off and get your head right"

At theend of the day, if he is playing crap and contributing nothing, then having a youth team player in for him would be better than him. At the moment its like having a badly injured or cramped player on the pitch when you've just made your 3 subs, anything would be better. So maybe , loathe as I am to say it, give Zenden a run and drop Gerrard for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Boro 0-0 Liverpool

Another bad result for Liverpool - the target was 3 pts today and they only came away with a draw, so another 2 pts dropped. Liverpool controlled the game it has to be said but lacked any killer instinct, and at times were strolling through the game and unable to convert any of the chances that they made. Boro were very poor, so this was a missed opportunity.

Gerrard was clearly not himself, and Kuyt and Bellamy failed to deliver any magic. The service from Gonzalez and Pennant was poor. Maybe it would have been better to play Warnock at Left Back (is he fit?) and Riise in left midfield. Riise and Gerrard usually work well together and have a good ujnderstanding of each others capabilities.

> I think you can fill in the blanks

In terms of Gerrard, if that theory is true, then it is understandable how there could be major difficulties and anyone in that situation would be affected. In a strange kind of way though, I think playing football could help him keep his mind off things to some extent.
    Stekelly wrote:
    surely rafaf knows and can sit down with gerrard, say "look stevie, your head isnt in it, and we cant afford any passengers at the minute,so take a couple of matches off and get your head right"
    At theend of the day, if he is playing crap and contributing nothing, then having a youth team player in for him would be better

I think that a badly affected Gerrard is better than a youth player or a Zenden. I'm sure Rafa isn't making him play if he doesnt want to. Lets just see how this pans out.

On a more positive note, great to see Shay Given playing so well, and I hope his return can help Newcastle climb up the table. I'm sure it will. It came at a cost for Arsenal, with another drop of 2 pts, so that helps Liverpool to some extent.

But If Liverpool and Arsenal keep doing what they are currently, there will be a large gap between them and Chelsea/Man U and they both run the risk of losing out on a CL place if any of the 'also-rans' conjure up a run of results.

My prediction is still: CMAL ... ie:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool

Let me know yours ......

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Top Ten come May

1. Chelsea
    2. Manchester united
    3. Arsenal
    4. Everton
    5. Liverpool
    6. Bolton
    7. Aston Villa
    8. Portsmouth
    9. Spurs
    10. Blackburn

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

redspider wrote:
    I think that a badly affected Gerrard is better than a youth player or a Zenden. I'm sure Rafa isn't making him play if he doesnt want to. Lets just see how this pans out.

Im sure he's not playing against his will. But on the same line a player will nearly always want to play, be it for the good of the team or not, so it has to fall on the manager to sit down with him, moreso because he's the captain, and talk through whether he should be playing or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aside from gerrard, the team just didn't look right today anyway. Something just looked fundamentally wrong, lots of misplaced passes that weren't even under pressure, and i've noticed a few times in the last few games, a pass going very near a player but they just ignore it like its meant for someone else but it wasn't and goes straight to opposition. Just seems way too relaxed and nonchalant or something..

On the Gerrard situation, if it helped him out id be happy to leave him play to provide him some escape from his personal problems. As Redspider pointed out a sub par gerrard performance is still better then most, and certainly better then anything we have with sissoko out. If some of the pressure was taken off him and everyone excepted he wont be his best for a small while it would probably suit him and the club. That would require everything being out in the open though so all the other fans would lay off him and give support. After all a temporary blip we can explain is much better then one we cant with finger pointing in every direction and sympathy going out the window. (heard a good few people calling for rafa's head already on phone ins)

Was listening to a Paul McGrath interview earlier on FiveLive and he was saying during his worst periods the only reprieve he had from depression and his problems was on the football pitch and its the only place he felt human and could forget his troubles. This just reminds me of that a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So what yizzer sayin is someone boned Gerard's missus and his head is fecked?
    Might be some kinda love triangle going on with Paddy Kenny...

Anyway, seems as though consistency is Liverpool's problem as always. It's either brilliant or poor, there's no happy medium and there's 10 players along side Gerard that are guilty of that. Maybe its Rafa's rotation, but doesnt take a genius to figure out something's not right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Boro have a great record against the top teams, and Liverpool in recent years. Without wanting to ignore Liverpool's current crisis, give them a bit of credit. They play a certain system in these games, involving 5 across the midfield, and it usuall works. Huth (I never rated him at Chelsea; maybe he just needed the responsibilty that goes with playing in a defence which doesn't contain JT) and Woodgate will let very little past them this season, especially at home.

Halftime at the JJB anyway, villa and wigan still 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Boro were terrible. Didnt contribute anything to the game and a more clinical side than Liverpool would have left with all 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

another cracking match at the JJB.

0-0 with 75 minutes gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bucks73 wrote:
    Boro were terrible. Didnt contribute anything to the game and a more clinical side than Liverpool would have left with all 3 points.

feckers always produce against United though, not looking forward to that game. Chelsea game could turn out easier...........okay maybe not

Trilla wrote:
    feckers always produce against United though, not looking forward to that game. Chelsea game could turn out easier...........okay maybe not

Usually sticky alright. 4 tough ones coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bla 1 tot0
    Tugay what a screamer, perfect volley from headed clearance.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

what a fcuking goal by tugay:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Screamer!!! Quality!

Thats seriously wrong, peno to Tot for a blatant dive. Tugay sent off for a high tackle that never touched the spours player.

kdjac

Peno to Spurs. Tugay sent off!

Goal by Defoe! 1-1.
    Missed the incident but Gray reckoned it was never a sending off!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote:
    Thats seriously wrong, peno to Tot for a blatant dive. Tugay sent off for a high tackle that never touched the spours player.

kdjac

Should have gone to Specsavers...

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    tugay clipped him with his trailing foot,deffo peno and he was the last man so he had to go

There has just been a handball in the box by Spurs' Mido. Not given!
    Just been told that the "radio equipment" that the refs and linesmen use is not working! Crowd are livid.
    Have to say:
    1. It was a handball
    2. Linesman seen it and did nothing.

Terrible!

Gillie wrote:
    Have to say:
    1. It was a handball
    2. Linesman seen it and did nothing.

Agreed. Mido would have had to walk as well.

Just waiting for Savage to kick something off now!
    ;-)

or maybe mark hughes,he looks livid

Agreed. Mido would have had to walk as well.

Hughes is livid! He could be sent from the touchline if he doesn't calm down. The ref seems totally indifferent! Mido Shoulda gone!

Is Sky Sports all over the f*cking shop or is it just my telly? It keeps freezing?

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    Goal by Defoe! 1-1.
    Missed the incident but Gray reckoned it was never a sending off!?!

No contact whatsoever, blatant dive.

sent off for high foot that missed him by about 3 feet.

kdjac

Gillie wrote:

Is Sky Sports all over the f*cking shop or is it just my telly? It keeps freezing?

so its just not me

county wrote:
    so its just not me
    Mine froze for a few minutes before the Peno. I was flicking and when I went back I had missed the incident.
    But the replay shows feck all contact if any. Geoff Shreeves has just spoken to Tugay who says he is absolutly shocked to have been sent off!

Is it just me or is that ref the cut of Richard Dunne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Gillie wrote:
    Is it just me or is that ref the cut of Richard Dunne?

Paul McGinley the golfer ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah true!

its all kicking off

There's Murder!
    Ghally gone for a Elbow!
    Jol gone

Um well at least it finishes with the same number of players on the pitch!
    Crazy finish!

All over. The interviews will be interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good point by Villa today considering the players we were missing, great defending by a very young team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is offically the boards thread of the day! Check the dropdown menu from boards.ie!

Mike.

We're famous!

*Waves* Hi Mom!

..why Thread of The Day I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The penalty decision was right. Tugay caught the player with his trailing leg. At first I thought he hadn't made contact but he did. Well spotted by the ref.

Why send him off though? A yellow card and penalty would have been enough. There was another Blackburn player across from Ghaly and Friedel was rushing out and could of got a block. Tugay did not set out to deliberately take him down. It was very harsh.

The Mido decision was a disgrace as well. He blatantly handled it and even said it to the Blackburn players afterwards. No wonder a few looked incensed. Especially after the handball decisions that have led to penalties against Blackburn in recent weeks.

I said the UEFA Cup and a few injuries would really test Blackburn's threadbare squad. Nelsen, Reid and, to a lesser extent, Roberts are notable absentees. I'd be happy with tenth now like I predicted at the start of the season.

mike65 wrote:
    This is offically the boards thread of the day! Check the dropdown menu from boards.ie!

Mike.
    and you`re normally this thread starter

*takes some of the gloss away there mike*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

spurs should have won.
    but blackburn hacked and cheated their way to a draw.
    seriously, when is the FA going to do something about teams that play 'with heart' to protect the proper teams in the league.
    jesus, i mean if reading can come get promoted and play the beautiful game, why cant teams like blackburn and bolton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

And did so without a single yellow card and an extremely harsh red-card, wow. :rolleyes: Spurs had 22 free's, Blackburn had 20.
    seriously, when is the FA going to do something about teams that play 'with heart' to protect the proper teams in the league.
    jesus, i mean if reading can come get promoted and play the beautiful game, why cant teams like blackburn and bolton?

Ah the old Blackburn and Bolton gibe. When they played each other there was a disgusting three yellow cards, with one red for dissent.

It's all a myth.

Gotta say Eamo's got it wrong.

From what I saw of Blackburn-Spurs (just after Tugay's goal to Ghaly's red card) the only player who was consistently fouling was Mido, coupled with his appaling finishing towards the end of the 1st half he should have been subbed for Berbatov at half time. If a few of Blackburn's players can be accused of anything it's their habit of hounding the officials in the 2nd half (both peno incidents) and Henchoz facing up to Ghaly after the challenge that led to the red.

Mido and Defoe had enough chances in the 1st half to get us back in the game, with the Egyptian particularly guilty of wasting chances. Fella's nowhere near consistent enough IMO.

The Spurs peno was nailed on, and in real time I can understand why Dowd sent Tugay off (Henchoz was behind Ghaly, and Ghaly looked a cert to reach the ball first) but having seen the replay a few times it did seem a bit harsh. Can't understand why Dowd needed to consult his assistant, his view was probably the best of the incident.

The Mido handball should have been a peno (and a 2nd yellow) but to be fair to the assistant, it was easier to judge from the goal side than the touchline side, and if he's in any doubt he can't give it. That said, if the same principle had beenn applied down the other end Tugay would never have walked.

Only one side looked like they'd ten men after the equaliser and that was Spurs. Very disappointed we didn't push home our numerical advantage, and it only highlights the lack of really dangerous options in our midfield. we've the ideal squad for Europe, but only Aaron Lennon can really threaten in the PL...:(

Finally, I thought Ghaly was a victim of circumstances for his red. Yes he jumped with his arms up, but there was no intent to hurt (or even a proper elbow), and I do feel Dowd wanted to even things up after the previous incidents.

TBH, both sides had good chances during the game, and the refereeing aside a draw was a fair result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

The refereeing in the utd v sheff game was appaling.

Chuffed to see utd win a game that we would have lost or drawn last season following the sheff opener, things look bright

Very true Pillow. United had 2 definite penalties waved away by Mr.Clattenburg.

As for the accusation that Blackburn and Bolton hack and cheat to win games, thats a bit much. While Bolton wouldnt play attractive football, I wouldnt consider them overly physical. Blackburn IMO play better football and are physical but not over the top. After all it is a physical game. United have had no problem going to either venue this season and dealing with both teams the way you have to. Match them physically and beat them with superior football. Blackburn or Bolton do not have to apologise to anyone if the likes of spurs can not match them in certain departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

As far as I'm aware, Ivan Campo was the most fouled player in the Premiership last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

spurs should have won.

Emm did you watch the same game as me yesterday???

Blackburn are a tough team but they were by no means dirty yesterday, the sending off of Tugay was very harsh.

Blackburn and Bolton play effective football, it might not be the fluid passing that some teams play but this the English PL not the Serie A in Italy. There has always been teams that use the style of football that Blackburn and Bolton play and well you can't say it doesn't work, Bolton are doing very well this season a lot better than Spurs!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great result for United again, thought for a while that it was going to be a draw but 3 excellent goals.

"Clatter" burgh did his best not to give us the 3 points, I know United get soft penos but Saha was hammered, Scholes's was not as clear cut.
    Good job Ronaldos "miss" was not important!, Loved Rooneys playin with the left back before he back heeled it and Ronaldo mad cross.
    Totally attacking football, back to the mid 90's again and excellent to watch.

I watched United then set myself to watch Boro V Pool, must have been the worst match I have seen in years, but in fairness there was only one team looking to win that match, Boro were very poor.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I thought Blackburn played some excellent stuff yesterday (which surprised me). Gray, Pedersen and McCarthy especially created some lovely passing moves. I only saw the last half hour, mind.

Spurs were dreadful with the extra man. At times it looked like it was the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

spurs should have won.

The only thing consistent on this Board is you not knowing what you're talking about. And you've shown that fact here yet again, as several have pointed out. Leave the tabloid rubbish at home and stick to your hockey if you can't be bothered even watching the games.
    Gotta say Eamo's got it wrong.

From what I saw of Blackburn-Spurs (just after Tugay's goal to Ghaly's red card) the only player who was consistently fouling was Mido, coupled with his appaling finishing towards the end of the 1st half he should have been subbed for Berbatov at half time. If a few of Blackburn's players can be accused of anything it's their habit of hounding the officials in the 2nd half (both peno incidents) and Henchoz facing up to Ghaly after the challenge that led to the red.

Mido and Defoe had enough chances in the 1st half to get us back in the game, with the Egyptian particularly guilty of wasting chances. Fella's nowhere near consistent enough IMO.

The Spurs peno was nailed on, and in real time I can understand why Dowd sent Tugay off (Henchoz was behind Ghaly, and Ghaly looked a cert to reach the ball first) but having seen the replay a few times it did seem a bit harsh. Can't understand why Dowd needed to consult his assistant, his view was probably the best of the incident.

The Mido handball should have been a peno (and a 2nd yellow) but to be fair to the assistant, it was easier to judge from the goal side than the touchline side, and if he's in any doubt he can't give it. That said, if the same principle had beenn applied down the other end Tugay would never have walked.

Only one side looked like they'd ten men after the equaliser and that was Spurs. Very disappointed we didn't push home our numerical advantage, and it only highlights the lack of really dangerous options in our midfield. we've the ideal squad for Europe, but only Aaron Lennon can really threaten in the PL...

Finally, I thought Ghaly was a victim of circumstances for his red. Yes he jumped with his arms up, but there was no intent to hurt (or even a proper elbow), and I do feel Dowd wanted to even things up after the previous incidents.

TBH, both sides had good chances during the game, and the refereeing aside a draw was a fair result.

A draw was fair but the refereeing has been too hard on Blackburn in recent times. Between dubious penalties (Villa, Chelsea) and not getting penalties Rovers should have (Villa, Spurs), I can see why Hughes is getting angry. And that's not even mentioning corners that should never have been which result in goals (West Ham).

The squad is stretched to its limit at the moment and the team need a bit of luck that they just aren't getting.

Advertisement