Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to work thoughts

Options
  • 17-11-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭

Started this year, originally had the idea of only going to work by bike when the weather was good, but after a while as fitness level went up, said what the hell, try everyday regardless of weather, couldn't be happier, waterproofs, old pair of sailing wellies and a pair of sailing gloves and I arrive to work dry,(like this morning). 5 miles each way, no facilities at work however even though I cycle uphill from the coast to Sandyford I barely feel hot. I actually hate having to use the car to go to work now as have lost all patience with Q’s, and door to door time is about the same excluding changing. I thought I’d lose weight but I think I use the cycling as an excuse to eat more.
    Anyway very satisfying, some car drivers don’t know what they are missing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

silverharp wrote:
    I actually hate having to use the car to go to work now as have lost all patience with Q’s

Anyway very satisfying, some car drivers don’t know what they are missing.

Yup, that about sums it up. 5 miles each way's the same as myself, and to my girlfriend' it's about 10 each way. beats the hell out of using the bus. Saves money, you're fitter, and saving the environment. All good, but yes, you tend to eat more which costs more, but it's better in your stomach than spent on petrol/bus fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I work in Sandyford too and I couldn't imagine doing it in a car, the queue out by the Beacon would just drive me nuts. Bike everywhere, really don't see the need for a car in a city like Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Hi

I've taken up cycling recently for short commutes and really enjoy it.I wouldn't give up my car completely but I have definitely shifted my thinking towards getting where I want to go by bike if it's feasible.
    The only little downside I've found to using the bike is having more punctures to deal with than when I drive,It doesn't bother me that much though because the cycling experience is far more enjoyable than sitting in a car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

cozmik wrote:
    Hi

I've taken up cycling recently for short commutes and really enjoy it.I wouldn't give up my car completely but I have definitely shifted my thinking towards getting where I want to go by bike if it's feasible.
    The only little downside I've found to using the bike is having more punctures to deal with than when I drive,It doesn't bother me that much though because the cycling experience is far more enjoyable than sitting in a car. :)
    Get kevlar tyres,worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Get kevlar tyres,worth the price.
    Second that. Three years without a puncture using Specialized Armadillos. Not all kevlar tyres are alike though, have been getting punctures on my current Vittoria tyres and my ex-gf got plenty on her kevlar tyres, think they may have been Vittoria also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

i have being thinking of doing this too , i live in Enniskerry and work on the nass road , but the m50 is a night mare these days , was thinking of driving to rathfarman and cycling from there i have a place to park there too , just need to get off me ass to try doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jeawan wrote:
    i have being thinking of doing this too , i live in Enniskerry and work on the nass road , but the m50 is a night mare these days , was thinking of driving to rathfarman and cycling from there i have a place to park there too , just need to get off me ass to try doing it
    I have a lot of respect for anyone who starts cycle commuting at this time of the year, with the cold wind, (rare) rain and the darkness.
    Be sure to wear clothing to keep you warm and dry. And buy lights and hiviz gear to be visible. If you don't have such items, don't forget to factor in their cost when you are getting your stuff together.

With respect to lights, maybe ask a friend to 'review' your setup to ensure you are visible. Last week I was behind a guy with a flashing rear light under his saddle; unfortunately his backpack was so tall that it covered the light! I mentioned it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fnord

silverharp wrote:
    some car drivers don’t know what they are missing.
    Hear hear. I drove daily for a year or so some time back - while occasionally convenient, it made me lazy and impatient. I love the freedom on my bike; I can stop anywhere, anytime for any reason. Making myself weatherproof is fun in its own way, though granted I don't have to beat the clock so I can usually time my trips to avoid the worst of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

cycling is just so convenient. today i was passing by work on my way to college, had 10 mins to spare and had to talk to my boss, so i simply swung by. locked the bike outside-no worries about parking. in i go, sorted stuff out, off to college. I could never do it with a car or on the bus. The bike is way too handy. It was lashing rain when i came outta college today, and i had no wets with me, so i got the bus home and left the bike in college - handy too. bikes are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Three words of advice

LIGHTS , LIGHT and LIGHTS

I am sick of people on bikes with no lights, black clothes and weaving in and out of traffic like lunatics!

I've 2 lights on the back, one on the fron with "flashing" for city cycling and an altura night ride high vis jacket! I look like a canary but I'm visible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Another sandyford guy here. I am now totally waterproof! have a one piece flexothane suit, (I always found a 2 piece would ride up and expose my lower back). But the feet were still wet. I got my old cheapo leggings and cut the legs off at the top around the thighs. The bottom of the leggings had a hem, I cut a hole in this and passed a shoelace through. Then I used duck tape to seal up the other end where the thigh was, and lined the bottom with more duck tape as a sole. I put them on like boots and tie the lace at my calf. Looks odd but I dont give a damn, I am bone dry, the tape seems to be holding up ok so far.

Takes me 17-20 mins to cycle, last time I drove when it was raining took me 45mins! I swore never to do it again.
    I use these for punctures
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7970
    I hear cycleways stock the blue sort for thin tyres.

Advertisement