Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Suggestion

Options
  • 17-11-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

There is allot of stuff on the TV forum and my idea was rejected by one of the mods there

"Every week a topic is created Ex "Daybreak Season 1, Episodes 1&2 [SPOILERS]" (poll inc)

Then for 1 week people vote and talk about the episode. one week later i will create a topic called "Daybreak Season 1 Discussion And Episode 3 Poll [SPOILERS]"

Now what happens is the previous topic from last week ("Daybreak Season 1, Episodes 1&2 [SPOILERS]" (poll inc)) is merged with the new thread "Daybreak Season 1 Discussion And Episode 3 Poll [SPOILERS]"

This way every week there is a new poll for each episode and there is also a single thread for episode discussion because each week the previous thread is merged with the new one so there is no clutter and there is still a poll on the most recent episodes."

The idea of that was to stop people moaning that the forum was clogged and still have a poll for each episode which is needed if you want to see what most people thought of the episode, and don't say read the posts because look at any movie/episode poll there is always more votes than there are posts.

Anyway i wanted to ask on what are new forums judged?

By how popular the shoe/music/place/thing is
    And if so is it by how popular it is on boards or the internet and society in general?

This is not an attack i just want to know what the requirements are of getting a new forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The basic requirement is that you convince the admins that it's a good idea.

You suggest it in the Forums Forum, other users can have their say and the admins (eventually, the admins are busy people and the lack of forum X doesn't stop the site working, while other things do, so this can take a considerable length of time) decide yay or nay.

Numbers in favour are only important so far as there must clearly be a certain minimum interested or the forum won't get used. Numbers against aren't really important at all, since those people who don't like the idea can just not go to it. Reasons why people think it may or may not be a good idea are the biggest thing.

The final decision is up to the admins, and until an admin has spoken on the matter it's a matter of debate. E.g. the fact that I've got lots of stars under my username does not make my opinion automatically carry more weight than yours (they may pay a bit more attention to a mod of a similar forum or on the basis that someone's been around boards for a long time and knows the score, but they might also look at a post by me and think "ffs, Talliesin is always so sceptical about new forums", so being a more experienced user works both ways).

See also the stickies in the Forums forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

OP are you saying that the threads get merged, or you want them to be merged?

I'd rather see a different thread for each episode as I do on 24, I only merge on the off chance that a user does not see an existing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Oh wait. Are you talking about new forums or new threads in the TV forum - where there is a special rule about not having too many threads about the same program. I may have misunderstood you as I think you weren't using the terminology as it's generally used on boards.

If you mean the rules about threads in the TV forum you'll want to ask the mod there what the story is, put your ideas for any changes to him, her or them and then either:
    1. You convince them to make the change.
    2. They convince you the change is a bad idea.
    3. You're now at a situation where you disagree with a moderator about forum policy and hence a thread in this forum is the way to progress.

Maybe you're at point 3 here above and I'm just not getting what you mean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

You where right it is the 3rd option
    i just think that my idea will keep everyone happy,there will be just one single thread and a poll for every episode. i understand that the mods don't want the work off merging threads but relay what would it be 5 or 6 merges a week and it takes what 20 - 30 seconds to merge a thread?
    thats not that much work. I would offer to do it but i know that i would not be allowed become a mod because of my many strange and unique points of view.
    Thats why i posted this thread i think its silly that 3 people cant find the time to merge 6 threads a week which is what 3 mins to 60 seconds each per week.

Im not asking for much and i know i keep saying the same reason to do it,
    There is nothing bad about having a poll for every episode it lets you know what more people thought of the episode

I can see where the idea comes from, but as an example I recently starting watching Battlestar Galactica and I managed to find comments on the first episode (of the 'new' series) in the BSG forum, even though the thread was started two years ago.

Not everyone watches a show religiously each week.

• Advertisement

True but if the threads where merged each week there would still be a record of the very first posts and all the posts for every episode would be in descending order.

Also if you are looking up old topics in BSG comment on them yourself it dosent matter that the topic is 2 years old its still good BSG discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

So if someone comes to a an ep late they have to scan a massive 20 page thread to find the bit they want?

At least thats what your posts seem to imply?

Seems like your plan will inconvience others as much as it currently inconviences you.

How does that work exactly?

Whats wrong with the status quo? Even the current search function will happily find a thread by Series or episode title.

The mod was right tbh.

Ive decided not to bother involving myself in the discussion of the new shows so ...... thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I can't see how this would work well!

Giving an example of a thread started in week 1, which would have 45 posts within it, merging a new thread to the existing one will involve users haveing to trail through two pages before they even realise that the topic is now about episode 2.
    Even if the two threads have posts being posted near the same time as each other, merging works on a time scale, so there will be a few posts where a reader will not know who is replying to who, without using quotes.

I don't see a problem once the thread title is clearly marked as to what episode the thread is about and that the discussion of that episode is kept within the thread.
    Again when another user in weeks to come wants to read about the episode, it's all there in one thread from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You're talking about merging two threads with different discussion topic because they're on the same theme.
    I can see why it made sense to you, as one episode was a natural progression of the last and the last thread has become obsolete.
    Maybe for most people it doesnt do any harm to leave it there. We dont delete After hours threads after 2 months just because nobody reads them anymore.
    You'd be surprised what old threads Ive spent hours reading or what threads come back from the dead after ages of inaction.

If the TV forum is as corwded as you say it is and this is posing a problem, suggest that some topics be moved to a sub forum.
    After doing a quite scan through the forum nothing strikes me (and in fact I wouldnt say the forum is too crowded - though I admit the fact that today is saturday skews things).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

User45701 wrote:
    Ive decided not to bother involving myself in the discussion of the new shows so ...... thats it

Toys...Pram tbh.:rolleyes: And on such a trivial topic.

Why did you bother wasting our time on this feedback thread???

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

User45701 wrote:
    You where right it is the 3rd option
    i just think that my idea will keep everyone happy,there will be just one single thread and a poll for every episode. i understand that the mods don't want the work off merging threads but relay what would it be 5 or 6 merges a week and it takes what 20 - 30 seconds to merge a thread?
    thats not that much work. I would offer to do it but i know that i would not be allowed become a mod because of my many strange and unique points of view.
    Thats why i posted this thread i think its silly that 3 people cant find the time to merge 6 threads a week which is what 3 mins to 60 seconds each per week.

Im not asking for much and i know i keep saying the same reason to do it,
    There is nothing bad about having a poll for every episode it lets you know what more people thought of the episode
    Hmm.

The only seeming purpose of your desire for seperate threads for each episode, is so you may have a poll. And no, I do not think weekly polls make big discussion. But obviously, others disagree.

Advertisement