Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACA vs ACCA

Options
  • 17-11-2006 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just wondering if you could give me some opinions, I am a final year accounting student and applying for jobs. I have been offered a job where I would do ACA or another where I could do ACCA and I don't know what to do. I plan to go travelling in a year or two. I thought that ACCA was better recognised abroad and ACA is highly recognised in Ireland (seen as more prestigous or whatever). I get more exemptions from ACCA (only have to do 5 exams)...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

in short
    ACA, you are correct, more prestigous but this is based upon perception, not the most felxible of qualification if you want to move before your contract is up, is possible but not as flexible as ACCA
    ACCA, internationally geared, great reputation, much easier to travel with and move between jobs because the qualification is not tied to contract with employer

Personally I chose ACCA and have never looked back, not being a fan of snobbery in general puts me off ACA

Also check out the jobs section of askaboutmoney.com where there are a good few threads on this

oh best of luck, working and studying at the same time is a killer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

Thanks a mil that's really helpful, its annoying when you can't make your own choice though! Thanks again! You confirmed my own thoughts on the subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Lochie, your not studying in DKIT are you?

I picked ACCA myself because like yourself I got great exemptions.

I agree with the previous poster. There is a snobbery factor associated with the ACA.

ACA - more accounting audit and tax orientated.

ACCA - more business management focus, they say most CEO are accountants so we will train you for this position.

I done ACCA for that reason as well. I wanted a good general knowledge of all aspects of business not just financial.

If you have studied in DKIT then you have been trained the ACCA way, as DKIT have strong ties to the ACCA and in general you will find that the tax and auditing exams are very similiar in style when compared to ACCA papers.

With ACA qualification you will be able to travel and work aboard as well. The ACCA push this point to make you think that they are the only qualification you can have that will allow you travel.

What they mean is that they have offices in alot of countries around the world to help you, if you get stuck.

ACA - financial accounting/auditing
    ACCA - financial accounting/management accounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dodgycanadian

Im an irish lad over at university in Canada in an Accounting program. Now I know for a fact that with an ACA there are reciprocity agreements in place with many countries. Having your ACA will also allow you to be a chartered accountant in Canada or the United States as well as many other countries I am sure.

Now I have a question myself. I plan to get my chartered accountancy designation. Now in Canada you can fulfill requirements of the designation while you are in school. These requirements are to take a certain amount of accountancy courses in university as well as complete 30 months of work experience with a chartered accounting firm. Then comes 2 exams to meet the requirements. How does it work in Ireland to get your ACA? How long does it typically take after graduation.

Cheers, Thanks

ACCA - after graduation of uni - do the prof exams and complete three years work experience.

They give you ten years to complete your exams, I only had to Prof 3 after uni.

2.5 years later I have my exams complete and will qualify for full membership in June 2007

• Advertisement

What qualifies you for certain exemptions of exams?

Im just curious because I plan to move to Ireland after graduation of my 4 year degree but I could gather work experience from CO-OP in Canada at a chartered accounting firm. Was trying to do the same in Dublin for this summer and all my other co-op terms but apparently it doesnt work that way. Now I might just try and find a co-op job in Ireland within another discipline for this summer.

You need to check with the ACCA to see what exemptions you would be entitled to after you graduate.

I woud then recommend you if you are thinking of moving back to Ireland, to find a job as a trainee accountant within practice, industry or the services sector.

Normally the employer will pay for certain exams fee and tuition. There is plenty of accounting positions in and around Dublin.

Yes there are loads of accounting positions for ACA and ACCA training but the problem is they only hire those in their last year of completing their university degree. Advantage over here is I can start training while in school through a co-op/internship program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

kluivert wrote:
    Lochie, your not studying in DKIT are you?

I picked ACCA myself because like yourself I got great exemptions.

I agree with the previous poster. There is a snobbery factor associated with the ACA.

ACA - more accounting audit and tax orientated.

ACCA - more business management focus, they say most CEO are accountants so we will train you for this position.

I done ACCA for that reason as well. I wanted a good general knowledge of all aspects of business not just financial.

If you have studied in DKIT then you have been trained the ACCA way, as DKIT have strong ties to the ACCA and in general you will find that the tax and auditing exams are very similiar in style when compared to ACCA papers.

With ACA qualification you will be able to travel and work aboard as well. The ACCA push this point to make you think that they are the only qualification you can have that will allow you travel.

What they mean is that they have offices in alot of countries around the world to help you, if you get stuck.

ACA - financial accounting/auditing
    ACCA - financial accounting/management accounting.

I am in DIT but I think it is similiar to what you are saying, we have strong ties to acca, haven't looked at exam papers to see if the exams are similiar...another problem I have with aca is that you are tied to a company for the duration of the contract so if I leave before the 3.5years are up (which i plan to do) with aca my training time goes back to zero even if I have 2 years work experience....

lochie wrote:
    I am in DIT but I think it is similiar to what you are saying, we have strong ties to acca, haven't looked at exam papers to see if the exams are similiar...another problem I have with aca is that you are tied to a company for the duration of the contract so if I leave before the 3.5years are up (which i plan to do) with aca my training time goes back to zero even if I have 2 years work experience....

Yes the ACCA allow to a good degree of flexibility with your training. More so than the ACA.

With the ACA you sign Articles with your employer. I think there is three of them, one for each year.

Relevant experience is three years with both organisations.

You are required to complete student records, a diary of work experience during your time served, there are competencies that you must meet detailed in your student records. Your manager will normally sign them off every six months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement