Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture - Top Drawer Stillorgan (AVOID!!!!)

Options
  • 17-11-2006 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I ordered furniture from Top Drawer Stillorgan in June 2006 and was promised a 4 week delivery time. You've guessed it, I'm still waiting. Has anybody else had a similar experience with this company? Every time I call there is a different excuse, I'm wondering if I should just cancel my order and purchase elsewhere? :mad:
    Thanks for your help!
    Kaza

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patmc

i ordered a bedroom set and adining set off them and got it in less than 3 weeks. i ordered a matress off them and they said 6 weeks but i should have that next week. most of the family buys furniture there and has no complaints. what did you order?????? TIP negotiate a hefty discount. i got 20% off:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kaza

Glad to hear you've had more success! I ordered a bed, 2 lockers and a blanket box. The main reason i ordered from them was because of their 4 weeks delivery time. when i ordered there was a very disgruntled lady complaining about an overdue delivery which should have been a warning sign for me but i was told my Furniture was already in dublin port. Now its back in Malaysia!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moved from G/DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Have you paid already? What does your order form say about cancellations?

I have paid 50% - but I dont have an order form, all I received was a receipt. They promised to post it to me, but nothing! However they have agreed I can cancel the order, my problem is that I actually like the furniture I have selected and I can't find another supplier of the same furniture. Plus, I live in hope that it will be delivered before Xmas, whereas if I place a new order elsewhere it could be another 3 months.

But my 4 week delivery time is now over 5 months, maybe I should just give up with this crowd. I'm actually beginning to wonder if they want me to cancel my order because they give me totally conflicting stories every time I call!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Threaten them with the SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

If you let this situation drift much longer it can be implied that you are acquiescing in the face of their breach of contract.

Tell them that you will be seeking an order for specific performance against them as well as damages for breach of contract, inconvenience and so on.

This will probably not get you your furniture before Christmas but they might get a move on and this might be preferable if you really want to get the particular items.

Retailers hate people who will not go away and who are prepared to get bolshy if they do not provide the service or the goods. It is just too easy to tell the customer that they can cancel the contract when you have been as badly messed around as this.

Send the "threat" by fax or e-mail that requests a receipt, as evidence of delivery of your ultimatum.

AnnaStezia wrote:
    Threaten them with the SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

If you let this situation drift much longer it can be implied that you are acquiescing in the face of their breach of contract.

Tell them that you will be seeking an order for specific performance against them as well as damages for breach of contract, inconvenience and so on.
    Poor advice. They are already offering a refund, so they have nothing to fear from the small claims court. In fact, when the judge hears that they already offered a refund, he'll probably kick the complainant out of court.

Your consumer rights entitle you to repair, replace or refund, no more and no less. Your chances of getting orders for 'specific performance' or 'damages' are non-existent.

You won't get anywhere with retailers by this OTT posturing. If you didn't make your order conditional on a firm delivery date, your choice is to either cancel the order, take the refund and move on, or hang on in there for them to deliver.

Id love to hear from anybody else who's had trouble with this crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Your consumer rights entitle you to repair, replace or refund, no more and no less. Your chances of getting orders for 'specific performance' or 'damages' are non-existent.

Very interesting.

Why ?

Are the retailers not in breach of contract ? If so, why is specific performance not available as a relief ?

OP has indicated that he really wants the goods in question that the retailer is offering. It is too easy to just let the retailers walk away with a refund having messed the OP around as they have.

The OP has no written contract/order form specifying his delivery date. He has no order form at all. I'd bet a fiver that the order form that he signed in the shop has lots of small print covering the furniture shop's ass. In theory, the verbal promise may form a legal contract but getting any court to enforce such a contract would be exceedingly difficult. I'd bet another fiver that anyone taking such a case to court having already had an offer of a refund would end up paying the costs of the other party.

I'm not a legal expert - just speaking on the practicalities of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

For non delivery or any other delivery related or performance matter the store's liability is the cost of the goods and no more. If the product causes injury to someone through standard use and due to a fault or condition of the goods then liability is for the injury caused - as such all retailers have liabilty insurance on all goods they sell.

Their furniture is nice (and pricey) but you should be able to get it elsewhere too.

Try Famous Furniture on longmile road (former compustore premises behind White Bishop Cars) or Stafford Furniture in Calliaghstown up the back road of Rathcoole.

Hi all,

Just thought I would let you know the outcome! After 6 and 1/2 months waiting, my furniture was finally delivered the week before Christmas. Sadly, it was the wrong bed, the lockers did not match each other (hello) and the blanket box was slightly damaged. I've been told that they will re-order and deliver but imagine it will be another 6 months before this mess is sorted out. My advice to anybody considering buying from this crowd, is stay well away! To top it all off, their staff do not even return my calls, extremely frustrating.

Happy New Year to you all and thanks for your posts,
    Kaza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

Kaza wrote:
    Id love to hear from anybody else who's had trouble with this crowd?
    That was a statement, but it had a question mark at the end. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Big Kev

And the Saga continues. Our furniture was finally delivered the week before Christmas - a few small problems, such as 2 odd lockers that didn't match each other or the bed, a damaged headboard, oh and did I mention it was the wrong bed! After some frustrated calls, Top Drawer agreed to re-order the whole lot and it was delivered 1 week ago. Only there was no lockers, and it was the wrong bed again. After 10 months we've decided to accept our losses and move on, we are returning all of the furniture.
    Can anybody recommend a good furniture company in the Dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Have a look at Fanous Furniture on Longmile Road (old compustore premises facing onto Naas road)

They do over runs & end of season stuff from M&S, John Lewis, Laura Ashley & House of Fraser.

All items are solid wood (no MDF) - Everything is in stock. If you like the stuff its great as its half the normal retail price.

Another good store is Michael Murphys in Newbridge & New Ross. Huge selection and they deal with customers in the traditional way - e.g. you are paying their wages! - Decent deals to be had too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

luky lady is very badly trying to shill and spam for montana furniture across the whole of boards.ie

Advertisement