Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with translation of two words

• 17-11-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm looking to translate Chidren friendly or child friendly to Irish.
    My instincts are to go with Páistí Cúntach or Páistí Cairdiúil

Can a person with better Irish than me advise?
    Thanks
    JC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

if you mean as in a certain object is "child friendly" I dont think either would do as a decent translation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

it would be the name of a playroom!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Seomra na bPaistí - Kids room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

JackieChan wrote:
    Hi Guys, I'm looking to translate Chidren friendly or child friendly to Irish.
    My instincts are to go with Páistí Cúntach or Páistí Cairdiúil

Can a person with better Irish than me advise?
    Thanks
    David

Here's another one of those words that gets badly translated frequently(see here also), friendly .i.e. child-friendly, environmentally-friendly, user-friendly etc.

The translation you give above is applying English grammar rules(.i.e syntax and use of a noun as an adjective) to the Irish language, which is a recipe for disaster in most situations.
    What you have given above, translates as 'helpful/friendly children', not "something that is friendly to children." which even in English is inccurate, since it usually describes an inanimate object, (i.e. a room, or a facility) with human characteristics. How can a room be friendly to children? Does it shake their hand or tell them jokes?! There was once a translation of the term
    'printer-friendly' on the website of the Taoiseach's Office and it had been woefully translated into Irish as "a printer that is friendly".

So as such, it's bad English in itself. The most accurate term in English would be 'suitable/appropriate/facilitated for children'. That would translate as
    'oiriúnach do pháistí'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Spot on there Gael.

Thats whre most cock up are made ,trying to transpose English grammar rules to Irish situations.

I would agree totally with your analysis .

• Advertisement
Advertisement