Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making the first move... what to do?

• 17-11-2006 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

First of, i've never been to great with the "scoring" girls bit a lot of guys seem to have down. I've been with girls, just not to many of them.

Not sure how to put it really, just been re-writing this 3X now :s

Basically, im looking for some advice. There's this girl i like, we get on great, been out with each other and friends several times. We've gotten cosy once or 2X on the couch watching a moving with house mates. Who keep telling me to make a move on her but tbh i don't know what id say or do or where and when. Been to the cinema with her before (only just knew her then) but i felt to uncomfortable (cheesey) to put my arm around her (i cant believe people do this tbh, as a couple i can understand) we prob go again during the week see a movie again.

Anyone any advice one making this first move id really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 josephine20

Try holding her hand in the cinema, it's easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

As cheesesy as it you make think it is to put your arm around her. It will give her a signal that you're interested.
    However be careful about your friends, dont let them push you too hard and make you do things that might make it awkward between you and your lady friend.

Beat of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

Dude wats goin on? i know wat u meen...this is def one of the hardest things to master as a fella! but beleive me it gets easier. the key here is figuring out whether she likes you, whether she makes eye contact a lot of the time, brushes against you(ladies like makin fellas crazy!) if she does like you, you got nothing to worry about, honestly. it is tough but move closer to her and make a joke about it!....say your tryin to conserve space or something! this may not be funny now, but it will break the ice and she will laugh! then get cosy and enjoy the movie!:rolleyes: i hope i helped u out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Awh! My boyf n I were like that for aaagges before we got together! I'd even stay in his bed n just cuddle but we were too scared to try kiss each other. :rolleyes: If you feel as though you have enough signs that she likes you just hold her hand or put your arm around her. Does she ever hug you or sit on your lap, text lots or act like she's into you?? I guess if you've been going out she must. Don't be afraid to make a move. You'l regret it if you don't. You can't wait too long n get in a friend zone. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Kuz_3040

Just take your time and go with you instinct dont do anything that you feel isnt right. Just make sure that you relax.

Watch the film Hitch its great for tips. It actually will help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Try holding her hand in the cinema, it's easier.

Good first move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

You don't want her to think you aren't interested, or an emotional cold fish...and if you don't do something soon you'll end up in the "Just Good Friend" bucket.

Next time you meet her be obviously delighted to see her. Give her a hug, have a big smile on your face (but try not to look psychotic LOL), look her right in the eye...see how she responds to that. Start the conversation by asking about her, being interested in how she is. If yer walking down the street and she's wearing heels, offer her yer arm (chivalry isn't entirely dead yet), sometimes that works and ends up with arms around waists (in which case, yer probably in). Hold her hand if you can come up with a situation where it seems like spontaneous affection - like running across a road or something...if she likes you she'll let you keep holding it for a little while after the original excuse for taking her hand has passed. But for God's sake don't clamp onto her hand like a limpet and refuse to let go!

Remember, she might be just as shy and as unsure of what to do as you are.

If all goes reasonably well, at the end of the night the old lingering hug should see you the rest of the way.

Good luck!

*me decides to go to pub to practice wot me preaches*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'God I know the torture you speak of! Im not usually shy when it comes to guys but I liked this paaaiiiinfully shy boy for ages and because I knew he was so shy I felt I couldnt initiate anything incase I scared him off. It went on for months, we went out together and stayed up all night talking but nothing ever happened. I decided to give up on it and it was only after Id moved on that I got any solid indication that he'd been interested. He's still friendly with me but we dont hang around or talk much anymore :( Making a move feels difficult at the time but if this girl is spending so much time with you its a fair indication shes interested. Dont dwell on steps that your not ready to make yet, start small, drop hints casually and dont take it too seriously, liking each other is meant to be fun afterall! Good Luck!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thanks for the replies some good advice

I'm actually more confused now :(

She does do some of the things mentioned above, like looking in the eyes brushing of me the odd time. She lost her mobile not so long ago so none of the phone stuff to go on.

But anyway, last nite. We where out with a few, she was there to meeting some of her friends from work. Only really got chatting to her once or twice before the group got split and we never met up again so no chance last nite.

I'm thinking i might have no chance and just give up. I cant get my self to ask her if she likes me or to tell her i like her. I don't really have a problem asking her to meet for a drink, that just brings me back to the above of asking/telling her.
    I'm at a loss as to what i should do'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Don't give up! she likes you! You got cosy on the couch!!

Be flirty, physical contact, tease her a bit, be obv. that you like her w/o being sleazy. But u don't seem the sleazy type anyways!:D Hug her when you see her, be smiley, sit beside her, chat to her loads. If it's going well try to get her to go for "a walk" to be more private, hold her hand or put your arm around her or let her wear your jacket if it's cold (chicks dig that sh!t). If she reciprocates tell her you like her. Or try to kiss her!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement