Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a New City & need a train

Options
  • 17-11-2006 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all,

This is my 1st post to this group :)

My son has come of age where he is realy into lego, We have decided to start and make a new City in his room.

I have been to mylocal toy shops (Derry) looking for the sets for him for santa to bring.
    He has said he would love a lego train.

With so many on ebay what should i be looking for ? 12v 5v ?? ahhh

Just looking for somthing quite small & moderen that i can get bits for

all the best

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

Sorry I'm late coming to this, but I'm a big Lego train fan and thought I should comment, even it's not going to be any help to Santa atthis stage.

There are mainly two ways to go these days...

For a kid's toy train, the best option is probably the new range of RC trains. These use plastic track, battery powered trains, and hand-held infra-red controllers. There are currently two sets available. Set 7897 is a passenger train, costing about €100. The other set, 7898, is a freight train, costing about €150.

Personally, I'm not that keen on the passenger train. It looks nice and streamlined, but it has a lot of big chunky pieces I'm not keen on. There's also a nasty gap between the nose and the body due to an manufacturing error.

The freight train is a really cool set, though. It has a lot of great pieces, and a lot of interesting wagons like a crane. It also has quite a large track layout. I haven't got it yet, but I probably will.

Here are some links:
    http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=B7897
    http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=B7898

If you're thinking about Lego trains more as a hobby, the RC system isn't so great. For one thing, being battery based, you'll have all those batteries to replace. The IR controller has only 3 channels which can be a sirious limitation. Another is that the IR controller needs line of sight, which can be a problem if your layout gets big and you have a lot of scenery dotted about.

The older 9V system is the preferred choice of hobbyists. It uses similar track tothe RC system, but has metal rails that carry current to the train motors. A main powers speed regulator supplies current to the track in the same way as most model railway systems.

There have been some great 9V sets over the years, though the most famous has to be the 4558 Metroliner from 1991.

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=4558-1

There are Lego train fans all over the world building some amazing models using the 9V system. My own personal project is to model Irish trains in Lego.

There are also older options, but mainly for collectors and completists. You could consider 4.5V battery powered trains or 12V mains powerd via a central electrafied rail. These were popular in the '70s (the blue track era) and '80s (the grey track era).

Advertisement