Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elfen Lied

Options
  • 17-11-2006 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

Anyone here a fan of these. I love it, but damn if it didn't creep me out the first time I saw it.....felt so sorry for Lucy in it, even if she had a habit of twisting people's heads off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It's one of my favourite series... even if the pointless nudity can get a bit annoying.
    think there was a thread about it not so long ago, might be worth searching for theat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Only anime I've seen with that much nudity, and most of it comletly unsexualised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. It was a nice little series.

Absolutely brilliant intro music as well.

I loved how the whole beginning of the first episode builds up the ditsy assistant girl only to have Lucy
    completely squish her

There was some very funny stuff in it as well like the scene where Nyu wets herself.

That's one of the brillant things about it. Just like FMA it'll gve you a giggle, but when things get serious...oh boy

And yes the intro is onderful. Kind of sad, little chilly, but excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

This is definetly worth a viewing. It's like Chobits... plus blood that goes well beyond the occasional nosebleed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

I enjoyed it. Wouldn't have minded at all if they decided to make some more rather than just leave it at 4 volumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

Everywhere I go someone mentions this series I've never seen them tho!
    I hear there quite on the violent side of the genre!
    Anyone know anywhere I can stream them from,or even download?
    I'll give you 3 most excellent linkjs to online streaming in return!!!

:P

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

All of these series (Chobits, Elfen Lied, FMA - ongoing) have been released on region 2 DVD and are available in Ireland.

Pretty expensive in stores, but play.com has some good deals.

I have no problem with people linking to torrents of series that are currently being aired and are unlicensed, or are only available on fansub format.

Asking for or providing links to material that is already well available in europe is not tolerated, and I personally despise it. Anyone found doing this will be banned from the forum indefinately.

haha!I see the torrent police are still in force!But I dont want to download it,I want to watch it!And streaming isn't "outlawed" as of yet!So while you pioneer on protecting other peoples material and despising those who share it around,ill fly the flag and keep looking for a torrent ok!Oh by the way,15 women and children dead in Iraq today,thats a world worth despising :P

check out shunji's website...

I.am.too.stupid.to.understand.warnings

ain't nothing illegal about that Cult! :)

• Advertisement

I never said it was illegal I said I despised it. And of course it's illegal.

Banned.

...anywho

Is the manga out here, or would I have to go on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

Elfin Lied is my favourite anime! I really liked it.

GWolf wrote:
    ...anywho

Is the manga out here, or would I have to go on Amazon
    I haven't seen the manga anywhere in my travels.

I did like the anime the first time around, though I suspect that I wouldn't watch it again. It's basically a mish-mash of a whole bunch of clichés that actually ended up being watchable.

The best thing to come out of Elfen Lied is probably the webcomic, Nana's Everyday Life, which is [strike]hilarious[/strike] sadistic.

:D:Dlol, that is wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought it was great for a fw simple reasons.

1) Some much nudity

2) So much blood

3) the comedy was fantastic

4) The mercenary that just wouldnt stop was brilliant, CHUVANISTIC PIGS FTW!

mind you the list wasnt put in order of importance at all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bolero

I dont like it because its too close to guro for my liking, I enjoy violence, like in shows like gantz but the litter girl getting turned into a stump was a bit perverse, not to mention the show is a tad pretentious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

bolero wrote:
    I dont like it because its too close to guro for my liking, I enjoy violence, like in shows like gantz but the litter girl getting turned into a stump was a bit perverse, not to mention the show is a tad pretentious
    Oh cmon, I laughed my head off at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

CuLT wrote:
    I haven't seen the (Elfen Lied) manga anywhere in my travels.

Its unlicensed. ADV typically would have licensed this, as they make a habit of licensing the source/accessory manga for their successful anime licenses, but ADV have had a bit of trouble of late remembering where all their manga staff are.

About 2 comments on the Elfen Lied manga - its meant to be weaker than the anime and its art style and character designs are inferior. However it is still ongoing, or has finished recently, so it may have some worth by offering a more complete narrative experience. I found the Elfen Lied ending to be quite weak.
    CuLT wrote:
    I did like the anime the first time around, though I suspect that I wouldn't watch it again. It's basically a mish-mash of a whole bunch of clichés that actually ended up being watchable.

It is quite heavy handed - it forces emotions on the viewer quite artificially, but it is not a natural experience. Saikano is quite similar actually.

I disagree. It's raw in how it expresses things, but I think there's some very interesting elements. Anyway, now one of my favourite animes. I liked how the ending was open. I love something where you can specualt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I loved it!
    I cried at the end.
    I wanted Kohta to end up with Lucy, not Yuka! -cries-
    Love the ending song, too. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

It certainly examined some interesting themes, and made me actually engage with the characters, which is something other good animé's fail to do. Personally I thought it was excellent, the end of each episode made me want more. The nudity didn't bother me much either, I think it just gave the characters an air of innocence...contrasting slightly with theire genocidal leanings! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i liked it (or atleast what i have see so far) but some of it is really sad, like the bullies and the puppy >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

I loved that series, one of the first I had ever watched and I cried and cried. I watched most of the series straight through which just made it sadder :( . It really is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

watched it 4 days ago, i love it.
    loved every bit of it. everything!!!

...end was sad almost mad me cry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's currently being screened on channel 195 on Sky Digital every Sunday night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

It's currently being screened on channel 195 on Sky Digital every Sunday night...

Nice one, good excuse to get some of my "cartoons iz 4 Kidz" mates to try it out and perhaps enjoy it...

...but in all likelihood they'll just come back and say "That Elf ting has boobz in..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 0prah11

To be honest I watched it only once - it was the first episode and I didn't like it.But after I saw the other posts here I'm definetely gonna give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

was it cuz lucy was naked? be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Personally I did not like it. I first saw it at tomo-daichi and I tought it looked brill, but when I bought on dvd I realised how bad it was. All the nakedness just seems like plain fanboyism, the two children just annoyed me, and even though I can appreciate the violence (I mean killing people with a PEN is pretty amazing), it was marred by the fact that everything else seemed to be directly from a 13 year old boy's wet dream. Thankfully I got it during a rigthstuff sale, and sold it on ebay for a slim profit, but still it was dissapointing. Oh and the opening was pretty nice.

Advertisement