Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Stoner

• 17-11-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Stoner should have it's own little mention here. So here it is. I am one of the few people around that i know who appreciate stoner as a musical genre (hate that term "genre" though, overused these days).
    Surely there must be more out there who would like to state their liking for this music in any of it's various sub-forms. ANd, yes "doom" people if you're out there make thyselves know also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, love it. All comes from Sabbath :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im getting more into it by now, but I love it. Kyuss are obviously the ones I like most about it, but Im going about getting into Fu Manchu now. Im hoping it'll all expand as time goes on..who knows, might even end up a stoner! Im guessing it all started from my liking of QOTSA so much though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

John Garcia was in a couple of fantastic bands after Kyuss, namely Unida and Slo-Burn. A bit more regular rock than Kyuss but fantastic stuff nonetheless.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

http://www.roadburn.com/ tbh ;)

We've had a few good Doom/Sludge/Stoner threads here, have a look back a few months and you'll find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Stoner rock <3 Kyuss, Melvins, Fu Manchu, QOTSA are teh sex. Love it! I knew some of it sounded familiar, didnt realise it was a genre til recently. I miss 90's music.... :( So raw n unpolished and amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

LET THERE BE DOOM! Don't get me started on this. We could be here all year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Mushy wrote:
    Im getting more into it by now, but I love it. Kyuss are obviously the ones I like most about it, but Im going about getting into Fu Manchu now. Im hoping it'll all expand as time goes on..who knows, might even end up a stoner! Im guessing it all started from my liking of QOTSA so much though

Good stuff, fu manchu are a good starting point, they're more on the upbeat end of things.

Doctor J wrote:
    John Garcia was in a couple of fantastic bands after Kyuss, namely Unida and Slo-Burn. A bit more regular rock than Kyuss but fantastic stuff nonetheless.

Dude dont get me started on KYUSS at such a late hour or i'll never get any sleep! Such fantastic fuzzed out psychadelic insanity!

Garcia has been up to some pretty good **** actually.

Brant bjork has also been quite prolific, fu manchu, brant bjork and the bros....

@LIL Kitten:

If you don't already have it, get the live Fu Manchu album "Go for it.. live", sexual stuff.

And Doctor J: Blessed be sabbath man, now there's a band i'd be very bored without. But even though pretty much all heavy music that's any bit stonerish owes a lot to it, it has to be noted too that some of the american stoner outfits have taken a bit of influence from the likes of Skynyrd also.

As for my current stoner listening i'm mainly on:
    Gas giant, KYUSS, unida, orange goblin, St. Vitus, Fu Manchu, Sleep, Electric wizard, goatsnake, atomic bitchwax, 5 horse johnson, throttlerod, bad wizard, monster magnet, hermano, bongzilla, acid king, the hidden hand, high on fire, clutch, fireball ministry, boris, karma to burn... etc etc
    Plus of course the bands who made it possible, blue oyster cult, black sabbath and hawkwind* (this brings me to an interesting question i'm guessing DR J can answer, but does anyone elso know...question at end)
    Basically i'm obsessed.

so it's good to find some more people into stoner , and yes doom is good too.

*here's the question, which now very famous gravelly voiced bass player who's still going today was in Hawkwind?

*here's the question, which now very famous gravelly voiced bass player who's still going today was in Hawkwind?

Lemmy of Motorhead (which is also the name of a Hawkwind song).

Just got Hawkwind's Business Trip Live the other day, twas a good listen. I first heard of them years ago with one of those silly "Best Rock Album" type Cds that stupid young fella's like me in my youth were prone to buying. Silver Machine was of course the track on it and I thought "there's something about that..." Bought a Boss effects board off someone years later and was bouncing through the different sounds (as you do) and discovered the exact spacey noise that the guitars are using and must've spent an hour just playing that song over and over :D

• Advertisement

<3 Hawkwind.

In a similar vein to both Hawkwind and Sabbath, I went to see Acid Mothers Temple recently. Japanese psychedelic band that isn't afraid of unleashing some monster riffs. Highly recommended.

Also highly recommended is OM, they're two thirds of Sleep and they are frickin' deadly. The first album especially. If you like Dopesmoker but fancy something a little more laid back then go get their CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I like the odd bit of Stoner, Sleep is definetly a good one, as are High On Fire. With the whole Doom thing I'd be leaning more towards My Dying Bride / Anathema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

TBH I haven't a very clear idea what technically falls under 'stoner' or not, but one amazing band with ambient parts aplenty are Naiad. I think they're amazing.

Cool Asphalt, I'l look into that. Hey, how do u pronounce Kyuss btw? ( Last. fm says pronounced ) But wtf is that?!

"ky" rhymes with "die" and "uss" rhymes with "us"

I was saying it that way all along:D

John wrote:
    Lemmy of Motorhead (which is also the name of a Hawkwind song).

Excellent! At least somebody know some rock history.

Yes it is indeed the name of a hawkwind somg, and there's quite a few different motorhead versions down through the years too

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Cool Asphalt, I'l look into that. Hey, how do u pronounce Kyuss btw? ( Last. fm says pronounced ) But wtf is that?!

Sorry i didnt get back to you on that, seems John took care of it though, so it's all good.

BTW if you like things along the more up-beat lines of QOTSA (who themselves these days not really all that stoner-ish in the tradotional sense but still very drugged out and crazy, and you've gotta love most of their stuff up to songs for the deaf as they were class, and half were in KYUSS) you should have a look at Hermano.

But definately get more KYUSS though, essential listening if you're leaning towards the stoner side of the stoner/doom equation, first proper album (called Wretch, front and back covers look like brown paper bag material) is noticably different to the rest, and not to everyone's taste but i love it and it's worth listening to. There's actually an insane Detuned punk sond on there, very odd. It's called katzenjammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Kharn wrote:

I got my tickets for this the other day. can't wait to see Colour Haze at it, great stoner band that never get a mention. Aso check out :

F/i
    The Sword
    Acid King
    Comets on Fire

Also some bands as old as sabbath but don't get the same attention:

Human Instict
    sir lord baltimore
    Socrates Drank The Conium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

high on fire are very good doc. Like my crowbar and stuff too. Hope they tour over here again, though they were fantastic with hatebreed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Monster Magnet and Nebula are two great bands

Lil Kitten, I was supposed to ask the exact same question, as I also saw it on Lsatfm.com. What sort of language uses squares as an alphabet? How is it pronounced though?

Have you never heard of the phonetic alphabet? How do you think dictionaries tell us pronouncation? I don't mean to have a go or drag all this off topic, but I learnt that in school, have they stopped teaching it in favour of txt spk? ;)

Just to re-iterate what John said: Ky as in Kite and Uss as in bUs - Ki-us if you prefer.

[edit]
    Got a hold of some early Crowbar yesterday, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Anything of theirs I've heard before impressed me though. I always thought of them as more of a sludgy band. Not that it's a million miles away from the topic at hand, but more heavy handed than stoner fans might like.

Yes I'v heard of phonetics, but why not write pronounce Kie- us. Instead of the symbols, so you can go find a dicionary, look along the bottm till you find a weird symbol n say ah... y as in i and us as in bus. grr! Does any non Eng student know off by heart what those lil upside downback to front vowels represent?

I've always been pronouncing it as Kie-Us. Who looks at a dictionary on how to pronounce things, its too difficult. Dictionaries shouldnt tell us pronunciation as it only leads to confusion like this one, and no, they dont teach text speak...give it a few years. I really have to go listen to Sky Valley, Iv had it for about 3 weeks with no listen yet:eek:

That band playing Roadburn festival, the Melvins, they are playing in the Village on the 16th December for those of you interested. One or two other bands also playing. Actually its 3. Tickets €27, doors half 7.

http://www.thevillagevenue.com/page.php?cat=34

Bout halfway down that page

Again, sorry mods for the off-topic, but the last 2 post have actually worried me. How can you not see the need for a standard, universal, worldwide way to prounounce something no matter what language or writing style?

Anyway, back to it, I won't say any more. The Melvins gig you mention there Mushy, more info here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

But definately get more KYUSS though, essential listening if you're leaning towards the stoner side of the stoner/doom equation, first proper album (called Wretch, front and back covers look like brown paper bag material) is noticably different to the rest, and not to everyone's taste but i love it and it's worth listening to. There's actually an insane Detuned punk sond on there, very odd. It's called katzenjammer
    Virgin in Blanch have Wretch for 14/15 notes, and about ten copies of "Welcome to Sky Valley", man thats a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Sleep and Electric Wizard are two of my favorite stoner bands...

• Advertisement

I got my Roadburn ticet in the post this week \o> YAYYY ME!!! <o/

Advertisement