Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Dwarf Movie

• 17-11-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what happened to this? It was supposed to be filming soon enough, but last I heard Craig Charles was in Cornation St and then fired for having sex with prostitutes and snorting cocaine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

fired for having sex with prostitutes and snoring coke??? Cant get anymore 80s than that. Doesnt he have a son though (he appeared on robot wars once). I cant imagine craig charles doing anything like that.

I cant believe their still trying to make the film, the idea was bad to start with, they were planning on just retelling the whole story from the beginning as I recall, probably to capture a larger audience. Bleh, last I heard it wasnt going to be made at all and that was in 2001. While a new series would be great, I think a film would be unnecessary and would probably do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

I'd love it they brought it back, but a film, maybe, monthy pytho did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

keynesian wrote:
    I'd love it they brought it back, but a film, maybe, monthy pytho did it.

I found this information after searching around a while.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/index.cfm?frameset=deck08/deck_fs.html&page=content.html

Apparently there was rehersals and casting sessions in 2001 but nothing after that. I did read that the film found them returning to Earth, but where Earth had been destroyed by machine, and was now inhabited by Machine hybrids.

Red Dwarf: The Movie
    Since the end of Series VIII, Doug Naylor has been attempting to get funding to make a feature length film version of the show, but on every occasion so far has been thwarted by circumstances. He has long persisted with his conviction that the making of the movie (for which the script has been written for many years) takes precedence over the production of a ninth TV series. On the Series VIII DVD documentary The Tank, however, he admits to being — perhaps mindful of the age and schedules of the principal cast — close to having to make a final, outright decision of whether to continue to pursue the film, make a Series IX or some one-off TV special(s) (as Only Fools & Horses did previously), or simply end the series as it is.[2] Naylor sent a letter to the Red Dwarf fans at DJ XI, which mostly consisted of his failed attempts to create the film, such as a fake duke of Manchester sending forged money to fund the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It's been "in production" for the past 6 or 7 years.

According to the official website there was casting, read throughs etc in 2001 but nothing really since...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've never been keen on the idea of a movie, and the more time that passes, and the older the actors get, the less keen I am.

They should have made one more series and tied up the loose ends ages ago, but I think it's too late for that now too. Pity. The last couple of series weren't great anyway. Still, we always have the early series to love and watch again and again!

• Advertisement

Agreed the last series was fairly crap but I think I'm the only one that really enjoyed series 7!

The JFK episode was brilliant, really well thought out, and the Ouroboros episode was a great idea

hmmm, didnt take to series 7 but the ace rimmer episode and the one where lister feels nostalgic abou his "friendship" with rimmer were hilarious. Series 8 I thought was a return to form, dont know what most other people think, but imo it was fairly good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Season 7 and 8 are a bit strange alright, neither up to the quality of the earlier seasons, which were pretty consistently great. That said, the previously mentioned JFK episode is one of my favourites.
    Id say a film could be interesting, but only if they get a decent budget together. The effects in RD were always rubbish in a likeable sort of way (especially the later CGI effects - the models were infinitely better), but a film would have to improve them signifigantly to warrant being made imo. Not too sure what another series would achieve either - the series had certainly run it's course when it bowed out. A film/special would be much more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Series 8 I thought was a return to form, dont know what most other people think, but imo it was fairly good.

Totally agree, really liked this series, my favourite of them all without a doubt.

Attack of the Giant Savage Completely Invisible Aliens
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxmXnC61_M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bobafettish

Well the movie had money problems, although i can't believe there would be no funding. Maybe a new series would be great, just to finish it off, Craig Charles has had problems recently and maybe a new series could regenerate his career, or as mentioned previously, a special, just so it actually finishes good and ties up the loose ends.
    BTW, why would you fire someone for snorting cocaine? Sure it's illegal but Pete Doherty ain't been fired by his record company....

• Advertisement

BTW, why would you fire someone for snorting cocaine? Sure it's illegal but Pete Doherty ain't been fired by his record company....

Different set up I suppose, drugs are part of the rock n roll mythology, so its more acceptable in a sense. But for coronation street Id say the producers got scared in light of their audience which I would presume to be mostly middle aged and anti drugs. On another tangent Ill never understand why angus deaton got fired, the reasons cited were so weak. But yeah, theyre almost duty bound to make another series of red dwarf.

Agreed bout the coronation street thing, but didn't Leslie Grantham carry on acting in Eastenders after the webcam thing, and didn't he also injur/kill someone accidently?
    And a film as mentioned would need great special effects to sell, but that isn't red dwarf so yer series/special but only if it finishes off the red dwarf story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gratham's contract ended hence his leaving the following year, and yes he did 'accidently' kill someone though it was during a robbery with a gun. He got murder and served 11 years in 1966.

Mike.

Then of course Johnny Vaughan is well known for taking drugs before, so i don't think the fact craig charles took cocaine should hinder the film/series/special or whatever...
    But losing the point...we should definately ave something to finish off the series, and more importantly finish off kochanski!!!

They ended Series VIII on a cliffhanger... It'd be kind of cheating the fans who'd stuck with them for the past 50 odd years that they've been on the air if they didn't finish the series with some proper resolution...

Even if it's 10 secs just showing red dwarf crashing, it still needs to be finished off agreed!
    A rumor was going rouynd saying the film would have holly describing what had happened beforehand like in series 1 and 2...how cool would that be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Yeah but I think the actors are a bit old now... And Chris Barrie is the only good one IMHO... Or maybe it was just the way the characters developed without Rob Grant, the show kind of "Jumped the shark" between Series VII and VIII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

quickbeam wrote:
    I've never been keen on the idea of a movie, and the more time that passes, and the older the actors get, the less keen I am.

They should have made one more series and tied up the loose ends ages ago, but I think it's too late for that now too. Pity. The last couple of series weren't great anyway. Still, we always have the early series to love and watch again and again!

Yeah sadly I feel the same way, still if it goes on any longer they could film that scene again with old Lister coming back to tell present Lister about his twin boys.

Advertisement