Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Internet Access

• 17-11-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭

I live in an area where land line based broadband isnt coming in the next millennia but can get online using my mobile just fine.

How does the broadband work by mobile, i'm not in a area with 3G but yet can use my mobile to get online just fine.

Reason I'm asking this is with Vodafone and 3 offering soon to be flat rate broadband via mobile phone can I ditch the land line and just connect to the web via my mobile phone ?

Dialup is horribly slow and expensive, if I can ditch it and just use my nice shiny mobile connected via usb to the pc i'm all for it!

Anyone have any idea if 3G is necessary for semi broadband via mobile aka 386k ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you will need 3G coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

1) Yes, you will need to be in a 3G coverage area. If you are not, you will still be able to connect, but your speed will top out at 50kbps. Maybe better than a poor phone line, but definitely nowhere close to broadband.
    2) Speed will be closer to 3.6mbps on these new services, O2 is even talking about 14.4mbps next year. So in other words, a lot faster than 368kbps. Real world mileage may vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Internet speeds are measured in kiloBITS data is measured in kiloBYTES

divide kilobits by 8 to get what that is in kiloBYTES eg. 50kb = 6.25kb

Anyway.....

Whatever is the best/cheapest option for your internet you can use your phones internet connect on your computer

Advertisement