Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

drivers license

Options
  • 17-11-2006 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

mods, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but figure this is better than AH cos it is somewhat car related...

right, a quick few questions...

i got my provisional when i was 17 but never got lessons (well i did a few but gave up, time was hard to find, wasn't really interested in driving etc) so just let it go to waste.

i'm now 20. so my provisional is expired - a year and a half out of date.

and i'm getting a car. i'm starting a new job next april and i'll need to be able to drive so i need to get a new license.

my question - for me to get a new license, do i just reapply as usual? or do i need to re-sit the theory test and go through the whole rig-ma-roll?

i've tried ringing the license place but got no answer.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Just renew your licence as usual, I'm not sure if it will count as a second provisional as i'm sure I heard somewhere that after a certain duration of not holding a licence you're back to a first provisional.
    I'm sure someone will be able to correct me if i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Redshift wrote:
    I'm not sure if it will count as a second provisional as i'm sure I heard somewhere that after a certain duration of not holding a licence you're back to a first provisional.
    I'm sure someone will be able to correct me if i'm wrong.
    Yes, it will be a second provisional licence. It would only be considered a new licence if the previous one had lapsed more than 5 years.

AFAIK you will not have to resit the theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Are you guys sure, a neighbour in his 60s (RIP) had to re-sit the test about 2 yrs ago because his licence had lapsed more than 6 months before he realised

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ninty9er wrote:
    Are you guys sure, a neighbour in his 60s (RIP) had to re-sit the test about 2 yrs ago because his licence had lapsed more than 6 months before he realised

Maybe he was six months over the five year limit?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ninty9er wrote:

You can let a full licence lapse for 10 years :rolleyes: before you are required to sit the test. (I'm 95% sure of this but open to correction).

As esel has stated, your neighbour may have been 6 months over that limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

You are allowed 10 years for the full licence so
    because his licence had lapsed more than 6 months before he realised
    So, it had lapsed 10 years and 6 months before he realised he needed to renew.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

thanks guys. i'll send the form off asap.

Advertisement