Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Referee Biased in Shels Bohs Match?

• 17-11-2006 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Just watching the big match live on TV.

I just cannot beleive my eyes. Can the referee be allowed to get away with this??

It is so obvious the ref is biased towards Shels. Bohs should have had a definite penalty. He gave a free to Shels eventhough Owen Heary clearly handled the ball under no physical contact from a Bohs player.

For the first Shels goal the penalty was questionable to say the least. The 2nd Shels goal should never have been a goal. The referee gave a free to Shelbourne for absolutely nothing which lead to the goal. so instead of Bohs being 2-0 up Shels are 2-1 up thanks to the ref.

Its obvious that the referee is totally biased. The only quaestion is why????

Is it that refs are generally against clubs from outside pale winning things progressing?

Has the referee a bet on match/title?

Is the referee under "advice" from FAI to "make sure" Shels win?

I am a big fan of the eircom league but as a FH fan tonight is a big turn off. This referee should never be allowed to ref another match after this performance tonight.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bohs getting rock solid.

kdjac

O Halloran goes in foot up and blind ie career ending tackle and Bohs player gets booked.

lol

ridden rock solid...........

kdjac

Baker sent off , fair enought nasty tackle.

Whats with shels players and career ending tackles?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Ollie can't buy the league???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bout time shels got something in their favour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I wont complain too much about the decisions, its fairly obvious at this stage that Kelly is the worst ref in the league. Wouldnt wxpect any less.

Interesting choice of funeral music after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

finnpark wrote:
    Just watching the big match live on TV.

I just cannot beleive my eyes. Can the referee be allowed to get away with this??

It is so obvious the ref is biased towards Shels. Bohs should have had a definite penalty. He gave a free to Shels eventhough Owen Heary clearly handled the ball under no physical contact from a Bohs player.

For the first Shels goal the penalty was questionable to say the least. The 2nd Shels goal should never have been a goal. The referee gave a free to Shelbourne for absolutely nothing which lead to the goal. so instead of Bohs being 2-0 up Shels are 2-1 up thanks to the ref.

Its obvious that the referee is totally biased. The only quaestion is why????

Is it that refs are generally against clubs from outside pale winning things progressing?

I am a big fan of the eircom league but as a FH fan tonight is a big turn off. This referee should never be allowed to ref another match after this performance tonight.:mad:

Eh of course, Ollie gave the ref a brown envelope before the match like he always does, that's Oliie for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

KdjaCL wrote:
    Baker sent off , fair enought nasty tackle.

Doesn't he have to make contact for it to be considered a tackle?

Sure his back foot touched him, but yellow at best.

Plenty of other stuff deserved reds though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

evilhomer wrote:
    Doesn't he have to make contact for it to be considered a tackle?

Sure his back foot touched him, but yellow at best.

Plenty of other stuff deserved reds though!

C.Ronaldo was sent off for intent last season aswell. In fairness he slid in and tried to kick him withhis studs. If he had have made contact he'd have taken his knee off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaCL wrote:
    career ending tackles?

Ah would you get over it, remind me whose career was ended tonight (or even close...)? His match wasn't even ended ffs. :D
    finnpark wrote:
    Bohs should have had a definite penalty. He gave a free to Shels eventhough Owen Heary clearly handled the ball under no physical contact from a Bohs player.

The television camera's only show Heary and McGuinness up close from about half a second before the ball strikes Heary on the arm. One of the massive disadvantages of watching a game on television. The push happened before the camera had panned across.
    finnpark wrote:

Absolute drivel, and you know it. The Shels penalty was as clear a penalty as you will ever see, and if you can't agree with that then I really do pity you. The guy had both hands flailing above his head, the ball clearly hit his hand (not his head as he claimed). Why wouldn't that be a penalty?

The foul on Ndo was dubious I'll admit, but it was 30 yards from Shels own goal and is hardly an example of a biased referee, nevermind being responsible for Shels scoring their second goal. If you care to rewind your video/brain just 75 seconds you will see that Stewie Byrne is denied a blatant free-kick on the edge of the Bohs box. The "foul" for the free kick that led directly to the Bohs goal was every bit as dubious.
    finnpark wrote:

Of course he has.
    finnpark wrote:

Is Elvis still alive?
    finnpark wrote:
    I am a big fan of the eircom league but as a FH fan tonight is a big turn off. This referee should never be allowed to ref another match after this performance tonight

The referee (Alan Kelly) is awful, everybody knows that. There's a massive jump to be made from him being awful to him being bribed/corrupt/biased though. I wasn't even going to argue for Richie Baker because it looked a clear red-card and it would by no means be the first time he has done it, but having seen the replays the contact looks minimal (The advantages of watching on TV :D). Just glad it didn't cost us.

In summary... joke of a thread, get over it. I didn't see any thread when Waterford were denied a blatant penalty against Derry on Tuesday, before Derry went down the other end and scored. Jaysus lads will you get a grip, go for a walk or something because threads like this are absolute nonsense.

...though it does make Stewie's rant all the more enjoyable. Sweet dreams lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shels peno was stonewall. Baker deserved to be sent off. That was a disgraceful lunge.

I thought the ref did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think the Ref wasnt against Bohs in general. Overall, I thought he may have favoured Shels slightly, he certainly gave Glen Crowe a lot of protection and blew up on anything that seemed heavy handed against him. But he was fair enough in the general scheme of things.

As for the incidents, the Heary handball looked like not much of a nudge/push and then a ball to hand, sort of. Some of these are given, but that would have been harsh imo, and many aren't, so Shels can thakn themselves lucky enough on that one. I dont think Heary had too much intent but thats always hard to judge.

The Shels penalty was clearly a handball. You wouldnt see better at Croke Park (GAA) for blocking a kick.

For the Richie Baker one, in real-time and from the ref's angle it did look a bad challenge. But a yellow probably would have been appropriate. Using the advantage of video technology shows that his leading foot didnt catch him, but a badly timed mis-tackle you could say. Red was harsh. After that, the Ref lost control for a few seconds as play restarted and Baker was still on the pitch and walking slowing non-chalantly off.

There were several incidents during the game when Bohs players were screaming at the Ref asking him to dish out. You could lip read him saying to "Let mebe the Ref", and he did a good job of asserting control on the match.

So overall, I agree with gimmick and JoeSoap, the ref was fair in this match.

I dont know the Ref to know his performances in general over the season.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was watching from a neutral perspective and I didnt see the Ref being bias in
    any way.

I thought the Ref was actually good. Good because he never took away from the
    game at all until the sending off which was the idiots fault who went in stoods
    up at knee level. If it was at foot level then it would of been a yellow, but not
    a yellow when the stoods are up at knee level. Even the way he handled Crowe?
    and that huge defender having their little battle was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Just anti-Dub nonsense from the OP. But these guys with chips on their shoulders make for entertaining reading!

The ref did fine, but Shels were lucky to get away with the Heery handball. The co-commentator was convinced there was a free prior to the handball though. The Shels pen was as clearcut as you'll ever see.

The Shels pen was as clearcut as you'll ever see.

Not according to the OP. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Whatever about the individual decisions on the night, given Kelly's history with Bohs, not least his immortal shocker in Bray, he shouldn't have been let into Tolka Park, never mind ref the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Alan Kelly is the worst referee in ireland, simple as that.

He wasn't being biased, just rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Alan Kelly has served a suspension this season, for a decision made in a Bohs game. He should not have been allowed take a high-profile game involving Bohs, simple as that. Derry should have been watching that, but obviously weren't.

It suited the FAI for Shels to win the league. The ideas of a)the possibility of Shels folding, and b)Ollie taking legal action were too much for people in high people to bear. Shels player punches the ball in the box, and the thought goes through Kelly's head "Bohs 2-0 up at Tolka in a game Shels need to win? Can't do it, just can't do it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Did Hawkins not catch the ball in his own box last week and get away with it aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Ref handed it to Shels. Heary handled the ball but ref chickened out by givin a free out.

Shels were quiet on the arbiters decision. It was obvioiusly a fix between the ref, FAI and Shels. Disgraceful in this day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

No offence, but shut up. I wont even attempt to engage someone in rational debate who thinks that wasn't a penalty, you are obviously letting some kind of bias cloud your judgement. Horribley. That is easily the most blatant, easy to call penalty I think I have ever seen. Your claim that the ref handed it to Shels is absolutley pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

bohsman wrote:
    Did Hawkins not catch the ball in his own box last week and get away with it aswell?

Yes.

WTR the Shels peno - JPK made a great save. Pity he isnt a keeper. It was a penalty. No argument, and anyone who says it wasn't is clearly not in touch with reality.

Slash/ED wrote:
    No offence, but shut up. I wont even attempt to engage someone in rational debate who thinks that wasn't a penalty, you are obviously letting some kind of bias cloud your judgement. Horribley. That is easily the most blatant, easy to call penalty I think I have ever seen. Your claim that the ref handed it to Shels is absolutley pathetic.

Rubbish, and typical Shels head in the sand rubbish. If the peno for Heary's punch, which was just as blatant as Kelly's handball (as a stand-alone decision, it was obviously the correct one) had been given, the sequence of events would not have led to Kelly handling inside his own box. Shels won the league, enjoy it, and enjoy knowing that the best team won it, but don't try to defend Alan Kelly for fook's sake. He simply would not have got the gig in any other league in the world. Except maybe Italy.

Bateman wrote:
    Rubbish, and typical Shels head in the sand rubbish. If the peno for Heary's punch, which was just as blatant as Kelly's handball (as a stand-alone decision, it was obviously the correct one) had been given, the sequence of events would not have led to Kelly handling inside his own box. Shels won the league, enjoy it, and enjoy knowing that the best team won it, but don't try to defend Alan Kelly for fook's sake. He simply would not have got the gig in any other league in the world. Except maybe Italy.

I never defended him, he's useless (Not corrupt, useless). I said someone who can't see Shels peno was as blatant as they come is a fool or biased. You're the one with your head in the sand if you can't see that, it is a post lacking even an attempt at impartiality. I never mentioned Hearys handball as it was too far away for me to see whether it was a free out or not. If it was, his handball was not relevent and the decision was correct. Incidentally, Kelly (I think it was him again, could be wrong) had a third blatant handball on Glen Crowe where advantage was played - Should have been a red. He pratically caught it on the halfway line but play was waved on as Crowe burst through. He could have punished him anyway, but didn't so much as give a yellow. Kelly is merely not a good referee. That is all.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I never defended him, he's useless (Not corrupt, useless). I said someone who can't see Shels peno was as blatant as they come is a fool or biased. You're the one with your head in the sand if you can't see that, it is a post lacking even an attempt at impartiality. I never mentioned Hearys handball as it was too far away for me to see whether it was a free out or not. If it was, his handball was not relevent and the decision was correct. Incidentally, Kelly (I think it was him again, could be wrong) had a third blatant handball on Glen Crowe where advantage was played - Should have been a red. He pratically caught it on the halfway line but play was waved on as Crowe burst through. He could have punished him anyway, but didn't so much as give a yellow. Kelly is merely not a good referee. That is all.

I don't know what "Heary...free-out" handball you are referring to, but I am referring to the cast-iron pen Bohs were denied when Owen Heary punched the ball. Alan Kelly waved it away, and any talk from Shels fans of a push in the back of Heary is complete rubbish. I have the game on DVD, and unlike some poxy Youtube sketch, the HD DVD I have CLEARLY shows that there was NO foul contact on Heary before he raised his arm and punched the ball. :mad: If you don't believe that the thought of "Bohs 2-0 up at Tolka when Shels need to win to the league otherwise we're going to have court cases to think about" didn't go through Alan Kelly's head, then fair enough, but most people would disagree.

As regards "waving play on as Crowe burst through", what exactly is wrong with that? It's called playing the advantage, and in a situation where the attacking team has a chance to "burst through", it is something that we don't see enough of in this league. By all means go back after play has stopped and send Kelly of if it was a bookable offence, but what on earth is wrong with playing an advantage in favour of the attacking team?

Bateman wrote:
    I don't know what "Heary...free-out" handball you are referring to, but I am referring to the cast-iron pen Bohs were denied when Owen Heary punched the ball. Alan Kelly waved it away, and any talk from Shels fans of a push in the back of Heary is complete rubbish. I have the game on DVD, and unlike some poxy Youtube sketch, the HD DVD I have CLEARLY shows that there was NO foul contact on Heary before he raised his arm and punched the ball. :mad: If you don't believe that the thought of "Bohs 2-0 up at Tolka when Shels need to win to the league otherwise we're going to have court cases to think about" didn't go through Alan Kelly's head, then fair enough, but most people would disagree.

Was it not given as a free out? If play was waved on it was indeed incorrect, how did we get into this argument? I never said anything otherwise...
    As regards "waving play on as Crowe burst through", what exactly is wrong with that? It's called playing the advantage, and in a situation where the attacking team has a chance to "burst through", it is something that we don't see enough of in this league. By all means go back after play has stopped and send Kelly of if it was a bookable offence, but what on earth is wrong with playing an advantage in favour of the attacking team?

So, you agree with me then? Cool...My argument was not with the waving on of the play.

It was incorrect regardless of whether play was waved on, or a free-out was given for a non-existent foul.

So was a free out given or not?

finnpark wrote:
    It was obvioiusly a fix between the ref, FAI and Shels. Disgraceful in this day

Quit your Derry love-in and get real, please.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:
    unlike some poxy Youtube sketch, the HD DVD I have CLEARLY shows that there was NO foul contact on Heary

Well please upload it then for us, and I take offence to that "poxy YouTube sketch" comment, I bothered to record the match and show the footage.

PS - I seriously doubt your footage shows anything different to mine.

Advertisement