Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sata drive not being picked up by windows

Options
  • 17-11-2006 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I currently have 2 IDE hard drives in my computer. Today I bought a new hard drive. I put it in and booted up my machine. The raid screen (the screen after the bios screen) detects the Hard drive, but windows does not recognise it (Computer management->storage->disk management - no sign of it)

What could be the problem?

I pressed ctrl+s at the raid screen and I performed a low level format on the hard drive which took a good while, the I rebooted and still its not appearing. This is my first Sata drive, its not going smoothly for me. I'd appreciate some help or pointers??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

did you load the sata driver for the controller?

regards

kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

cheers for the prompt response kmb. No I've loaded nothing. Do u mean a disc that came with it (there was none) - Or something. Please excuse my ignorance in this matter

I have an asus mainboard. It has a thing called SAM (SiI Array Manager)... the hard drive is coming up there... but I want it to be availible to explorer... any ideas plz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try the seagate disck manager program worked for me and ihad the same problem as you so should work m8.

ah lads, this motherboard has 4 red sata/raid connections, and 2 black nforce ones hidden above the graphics card. Once I found them and slotted them it the thing worked first time. Phew. thanks for the replies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

some boards have 3rd party SATA controllers on board. If you use them, you will need to install the controllers drivers before you use the devices connected to them.

cheers for the reply Sean. I tried to install the drivers, but they sucked big time and crashed my system with blue screen on multiple occasions. Thank god the nForce ones were there.

Advertisement