Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iced Earth

• 18-11-2006 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Anyone like this band? Ive been listening to the Glorious Burden onstop for the past couple of days and have to say its an excellent album, Ive never been into American History, but I dont really feel that makes a difference. Tim Owens is an excellent vocalist and has found his calling in this band.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I much prefer Iced Earth with Matt Barlow myself. Burnt Offerings, The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes are all excellent albums. I do think they've dipped significantly in quality since Barlow left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Owens is alright, he'll do, but thats about it. Barlow is infinitly better, and I think its a shame he left to join the police...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Not to bash Owens, but Matt Barlow was definetly way better, and Iced Earth were at their peak when he was in the band. I really did loose interest when he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I think Barlow is pretty much universally used as the yardstick for all of Iced Earth's vocalists, past and present. I actually enjoy Night Of The Stormrider and Iced Earth quite a lot but the vocals on each are just terrible in my opinion, and almost put me off. But The Glorious Burden was a bit naff I thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cant stand IE with Owens. Barlow all the way for me.

My fav album is prolly Horror Show for 2 reasons; Steve DiGiorgio and Richard Christy.
    Rockin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I actually like Iced Earth with Owens. thats prabably because i'm a priest fan tho. but i do prefer their earlier stuff with barlow. I finally managed to pick up a copy of the alive in Athens DVD last week. kicks ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Not to bash Owens, but Matt Barlow was definetly way better, and Iced Earth were at their peak when he was in the band. I really did loose interest when he left.

I make check out their earlier material then so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Definitely. You can't really go wrong with anything from the Barlow era, but Alive in Athens is one of the best live albums ever recorded imo. It was the first Iced Earth cd (well, it's technically 3 cds) that I got, and still my fave.

You should do in a hurry, if you think Iced Earth is good with Ripper Owens, then Iced Earth with Matt Barlow will blow your face off.

Check out Horror Show, because as Slurms puts it; Steve DiGorgio and Richard Christy. ;)

I'm also gonna echo peoples opinions on Alive in Athens. One of the best live albums ever, up there with 'Live & Dangerous'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have to second Alive in athens essential listening every heavy rock metal collection should have it....also something wicked is another savage album! Great band really liked the glorious burden too but i have a bootleg of one of the shows with owens singing the older stuff wasint half as goos as barlow and i really like owens vocals but they were missing something,on the older stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

No one seems to be mentioning Burnt Offerings, which is a fantastic album! Dante's Inferno is a great song. I get the impression generally that it's not considered up there with the others though, would that be true?

No one seems to be mentioning Burnt Offerings, which is a fantastic album! Dante's Inferno is a great song. I get the impression generally that it's not considered up there with the others though, would that be true?

I think Burnt Offerings is easily one of Iced Earth's finest moments, it's more that it's not the first album I'd recommend to someone getting into the band. You know?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I bought their best of a year or two ago and I love it. Singing along to 'the Hunter' and other tunes after a few cold ones is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

only have Horror Show and Something wicked this way comes, both absolutely fantastic albums! Damian is a staple of any good metal night!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    only have Horror Show and Something wicked this way comes, both absolutely fantastic albums! Damian is a staple of any good metal night!
    Ah tis a great song alright, but I think my fav on the album is a toss up between Dracula and Phantom of The Opera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Really love this band - loved Barlow, but don't mind Owens either as I'm a huge Priest fan too..

If you check out Horror Show, Alive In Athens etc. & end up really liking them, you should try get your hands on Dark Genesis - a nifty little 5 cd boxset featuring Enter the Realm, Iced Earth, Night of the Stormrider, Burnt Offerings & Tribute to the Gods...
    I got it after I had one or two of the above already as i'm a sucker for boxsets!

Advertisement