Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nightwish - any fans of this awesome band?

• 18-11-2006 3:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

I only got into them about a year ago and already they're my favourite band. I'm a big fan of melodic and symphonic metal but so far I haven't come across anyone that can do it quite like Nightwish.

www.nightwish.com

They get better and better with every album. Once was just incredible although they were brilliant in their early days as well, e.g. Oceanborn and Wishmaster. It's hard to find anyone who has even heard of them, nevermind someone who listens to them, although they are getting more popular lately.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Used to be a fan until they fired Tarja :(

They did great stuff with her on vocals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a boards.ie user called Nightwish who I presume is a big fan. :)

Like a few of their tracks, the lead singer has a great voice but wouldn't go so far as to call myself a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

As a classical musician and a fan of metal, Nightwish represent everything I hate about both genres: the OTT power metal driving chords, bad operatic singing and complete abuse of melody and style, yet I can't help myself liking their music!

They've done some good stuff, Oceanborn is one of my favourite albums, and their covers of things like "Over the Hills" are top notch. However, a lot of their stuff also doesn't ring home - particular the ones with huge abuse of power metal and synths (like the Wishmaster album)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

However, a lot of their stuff also doesn't ring home - particular the ones with huge abuse of power metal and synths (like the Wishmaster album)

Well the way I look at it, the bombastic use of metal and synths do create a powerful sound and energetic sound. If Nightwish aren't going to incorporate this sound then who is? I see where you're coming from though.

As for Tarja, she's a brilliant singer and the band won't sound the same without her, but there are plenty more talented singers out there. Many of them even have a much larger range than her so I'm looking forward to seeing who the new singer is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sleepy wrote:
    There's a boards.ie user called Nightwish who I presume is a big fan. :)
    Nah, she told me that she hates them and it's all a big joke. She likes pop and dragonforce.

Well OP, somebody on boards introduced me to Nightwish, can't remember who, and I was amazed, I love them. The music is so powerful, it's a physical pleasure to listen to it, and the singing can be quite good. She may not be the best singer in the world but it fits the band and music so well. Hopwe the new one doesn't ruin them for me. My favourite album is Once, I think.
    Like said above, I shouldn't love them technically, but I do. (:

What other bands do you like?
    I suggest you listen to bands like Tristania, Evilion, Angtoria, Stream of passion, etc if you don't. I think you would like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Meh...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

personally i find all this operatic metal horrendous. but thats just my opinion obviously ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish wrote:
    Meh...:rolleyes:
    Nobody rolls their eyes at me* missy!

*Unless I am on top of them.

It wasn't aimed at you (:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Their cover of Over the hills and far away was horrible. I guess I just dont like that kind of singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

yeah i'd be the same. musically they dont both me. the vocals send a chill down my spine though. not a good chill mind you. same as Evanescence and all that. *shudders*

Nightwish wrote:
    It wasn't aimed at you
    Then feckin' quote!
    (:rolleyes:)
    Having a good time down there? :P

Their cover of Over the hills and far away was horrible. I guess I just dont like that kind of singing.
    Ah, I love that, when I first heard it I listened to it nonstop for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really like them... Favourite album by them is Century Child.
    I'd also recommend Within Temptation if you like Nightwish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I really like them... Favourite album by them is Century Child.
    I'd also recommend Within Temptation if you like Nightwish.

I actually think within temptation are a good deal better,the operatic vocals of nightwish can sound a bit theatrical,within temptation are more subdued but nuanced.Check out Therion too.

I actually think that Within Temptation are a good deal worse, the operatic vocals of nightwish can sound a bit theatrical which suits the music. Within Temptation are more subdued and her vocal range is not that great. Check out Therion too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I actually think that Within Temptation are a good deal worse, the operatic vocals of nightwish can sound a bit theatrical which suits the music. Within Temptation are more subdued and her vocal range is not that great. Check out Therion too.

Get your own bad grammar and syntax...

I have none, I had to borrow. :P
    It was quite handy that I thought the opposite of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Nightwish are absolutely brilliant. I remember thinking they were very over the top when I heard them first but it certainly grew on me. I've seen them live 3 times and they were fantastic each time. Leaving aside the disaster of Download 2005 where a screwup in Vienna meant they were very late and only played three songs :(

My favourite song is Ghost Love Score although it sums up one problem that I find a lot of people have with Nightwish. Basically Tuomas can't write a simply 3 minute pop song :) GLS has a stunning chorus but the song disappears off on a tangent for over six minutes which tends to bore anyone who hasn't been grabbed by the vibe.

Since others seem to be doing it, I'll throw out a couple of bands:

First of all I would recommend checking out After Forever. They're a Dutch symphonic metal band. I have their album "Invisible Circles". They combine female singing with male growls which works quite well (in my opinion anyway).

Also check out Xandria. They're another female fronted band. This time from Germany. They lean more towards Rock rather than Metal but they are still well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Well the way I look at it, the bombastic use of metal and synths do create a powerful sound and energetic sound. If Nightwish aren't going to incorporate this sound then who is? I see where you're coming from though.

That may well be the case - but it still doesn't endear it to me!

I am a big fan of some of the other bands you've all mentioned - namely After Forever, Evanescence and Within Temptation. With regards to Sharon's voice (Within T) it depends on the album. Mother Earth was amazing, Silent Force was pretty good but she sounded a bit weird on Enter. The singer in After Forever is probably the best female singer in metal.

Ghost Love Score is my favourite song by Nightwish as well. That song should be recognised somehow - more people should hear it.

I listened to Tristania once... think the song was called 'Angels' or 'Angels *something*'. It was alright but it wasn't heavy enough for me.

Other fav bands of mine are Dream Theater, Epica, Slipknot and of course Metallica. I hate the light alternative rock stuff that's becoming popular these days (won't name names). It doesn't have enough drama in it, not enough emotion - that's why I love bands like Nightwish and Dream Theater.

• Advertisement

Tristania dont have a song called Angels or Angels something. Sounds like you were listening to Lacuna Coil.

malice_ wrote:
    Tuomas can't write a simply 3 minute pop song :)
    I know it's probably bad form to quote oneself but anyway, I checked my Nightwish MP3s and "Sleepwalker", "Etianen", "This Moment is Eternity", "The Wayfarer" and "Lappi (Lapland) Eramaajarvi" are all under 3 minutes long. Mind you, with the possible exception of "Sleepwalker", they're not exactly pop songs.

Ghost Love Score is my favourite song by Nightwish as well. That song should be recognised somehow - more people should hear it.
    I used to have it as the ring tone on my phone. Unfortunately the sound quality was terrible so I doubt anyone that I inflicted it on appreciated it :)
    The singer in After Forever is probably the best female singer in metal.
    My vote would have to go to Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy.

I listened to Tristania once... think the song was called 'Angels' or 'Angels *something*'. It was alright but it wasn't heavy enough for me.
    Assuming it wasn't Within Temptation's "Angels" or Nightwish's "Angels Fall First", could it have been Tom DeLonge's Angels & Airwaves? He tends to sound like a girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I've hated Nightwish since I saw a clip of them playing some festival with a bunch of German goths pogoing up and down to the keyboard-heavy syrupy-sounding gloop they were playing. Then the singing started and i switched over.
    But thats just me!

Tristania do in fact have a song called Angel something. Just to prove you all wrong I googled 'tristania angel' and the lyrics for a song called 'Angellore' came up. Now! :p

Den M... syrupy gloop? Holy crap what song were you listening to?? You really haven't heard enough of them if you can call them 'syrupy gloop' LMAO try something from Once if you don't like keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Den M... syrupy gloop? Holy crap what song were you listening to?? You really haven't heard enough of them if you can call them 'syrupy gloop' LMAO try something from Once if you don't like keyboards.

Bands that use keyboards in rock can sometimes sound this way when playing live if the keyboards are too high in the mix and the guitars too low. This even happens with In Flames, a band much heavier than Nightwish. Maybe this was the case with the clip I saw. Either way I don't like bands like Nightwish though.

Tristania do in fact have a song called Angel something. Just to prove you all wrong I googled 'tristania angel' and the lyrics for a song called 'Angellore' came up.

That's fair enough but your original post said:
    think the song was called 'Angels' or 'Angels *something*'.

The 's' at the end meant that the quick search I did missed out on Angellore. Sorry to slightly spoil your triumph :D

I concur with malice, when you stated Angels something, Angellore didnt come to mind. Dont judge Tristania on one song. Each of their albums is different. If you're looking for a heavy one, try Ashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 e.doobie

well now as much as i am a fan of Lacua coil..
    i cant help but really detest 'nightwish'

i cant say i like that style of music and although good musicians, i just simply cant bear the sound they (nightwish) make.

but as iv said lacuna coil are the exception.. purly because ithink theyre a great band who work hard and produce great songs..and are highly talented..

e.doobie wrote:
    well now as much as i am a fan of Lacua coil..
    i cant help but really detest 'nightwish'

Well couldn't you start a thread titled "Lacuna Coil - Any fans of this awesome band"? :D

I'm not too sure what you mean by Lacuna Coil being an exception. Do you mean to say that they sound similar to Nightwish? Surely even a quick listen would throw up huge differences to your ears. Apart from the fact that they feature females vocals and bassists called Marco that is!

• Advertisement

There's already a Lacuna Coil thread, just do a search for it.

Advertisement