Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nightwish - any fans of this awesome band?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Used to be a major fan of Nightwish- it was them that got me into symph metal but went off them after the publically humiliating Tarja thing in what looked as much like a publicity stunt as anything else. I mean, fire her, fine, if it's neccessary but they were unneccessarily brutal. Wouldn't buy 'End Of An Era' either with the smug 'Tarja's Last Tour' (or whatever the exact quote was- it set my teeth on edge whatever it was) on it!

Having said that, I love a lot of their songs, from hearing 'Phantom of the Opera' I was hooked! I'd say 'Once' followed by 'Wishmaster' would be my favourite albums.

Was kinda going off Tarja's voice though too- I liked it but after listening to other lead singers, Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation), Lisa whatshername of Xandria, Fabienne Gondawin (ex- Sirenia), Floor Jansen (After Forever) Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes) - I kinda find Tarja's voice a bit overtrained and harsh. She can hit the notes yes but there was something a bit souless about it. On the other hand she sounded a lot better in her recent duet with Martin Kesici so maybe leaving Nightwish (where by all accounts she was unhappy) was the best thing for her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I got into them only recently, channel 368 on Sky show them live on occasion.
    they will never recover from sacking the incredibly talented Soprano Tarja.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

How can you say they'll never recover, if you havent heard the new singer? She might be better than Tarja.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

galwayrush wrote:
    they will never recover from sacking the incredibly talented Soprano Tarja.
    I had a reply written out for this but I lost it :( Anyway, Tarja might be talented but the real force behind the band is Tuomas. At the end of the day she's just the singer.
    Having read both sides of the split I can see that she was definitely hurt by the unexpected dismissal but it sounded like something that had been brewing for a while. She was more concerned with her solo career and by all accounts her husband didn't get on with the Nightwish guys.

From their website, it seems there's a new North American tour with Paradise Lost on the way and also:
    Released on May 30, 2007, “Eva” will be an internet-only single release, all profits of which shall be donated to a charity that will be announced later. In Finland, the single is available exclusively from NetAnttila.

“Eva” features the new Nightwish vocalist, chosen from about 2,000 applicants. The singer’s identity will be revealed simultaneously in a press statement and on the band’s website, www.nightwish.com, on Wednesday, May 30, 2007. A radio promo of the internet single will ship on the same day.

The sixth Nightwish album will be released on September 26, 2007, preceded by a second, regular single release in August.

So we'll see on May 30th how the new singer does!

The english version of the NW biography will be released next month, which tells the story of the band from the beginning up until Tarja's sacking. Its written by Mape Ollila who filmed the End of Innocence dvd and the documentary on the End of an Era dvd.

By the way here's the letter the band wrote to Tarja
    Dear Tarja,

It’s time to choose whether the story of Nightwish ends here or whether it will still continue an undetermined period of time. We’ve been working with this creation for 9 years and we are not ready to give up yet. Nightwish is a way of life, something to live for, and we’re certain we can’t let it go.

Equally certain is the fact that we cannot go on with you and Marcelo any longer. During the last year something sad happened, which I’ve been going over in my head every single day, morning and night. Your attitude and behavior don’t go with Nightwish anymore. There are characteristics I would never have believed to see in my old dear friend.
    People who don’t talk with each other for a year do not belong in the same band.

We are involved in an industry where the business-side of things is a necessary evil and something to worry about all the time. We are also a band which has always done music from the heart, because of friendship and the music itself. The mental satisfaction should always be more important than money! Nightwish is a band, it’s an emotion.
    To you, unfortunately, business, money, and things that have nothing to do with those emotions have become much more important. You feel that you have sacrificed yourself and your musical career for Nightwish, rather than thinking what it has given to you.
    This attitude was clearly shown to me in the two things you said to me in an airplane in Toronto: ”I don’t need Nightwish anymore.” and ”Remember, Tuomas, that I could leave this band at any time, giving you only one day’s warning in advance”.
    I can’t simply write any more songs for you to sing.

You have said yourself that you are merely a ”guest musician” in Nightwish. Now that visit ends and we will continue Nightwish with a new female vocalist.
    We’re sure this is an equally big relief to you as it is for us. We have all been feeling bad long enough.

You told us that no matter what, the next Nightwish album will be your last one. However, the rest of us want to continue as long as the fire burns. So there’s no sense in doing that next album with you, either.
    The four of us have been going over this situation countless times and we have realized that this is the thing we want to do in life. It’s all we can do. In December 2004, in Germany, you said that you will never tour again for more than two weeks at a time. You also said that we can forget about U.S. and Australia because the fees and the sizes of venues are too small.

In interviews I’ve mentioned that if Tarja leaves, that would be the end of the band. I understand that people will think this way. Nightwish is, however, a scenery of my soul and I’m not ready to let go because of one person. A person who wants to focus her creativity to somewhere else, a person whose values don’t match mine.

We were never bothered by the fact that you didn’t participate in writing/arranging songs, you never in 9 years came to rehearse the songs with us before going to the studio. Not the fact that while on tour you always wanted to fly, separately from us with your husband. Not the fact that you are an undisputable front image of the band.
    We accepted and felt ok about everything except greed, underestimating the fans, and breaking promises. It was agreed by the five of us that Nightwish would be the priority in everything that we do during 2004-2005. Still so many things were more important to you. The ultimate example being the already sold-out show in Oslo, which you wanted to cancel because you needed to rehearse for your solo concerts, meet friends and go to the movies. Those were the words Marcelo used in an e-mail explaining the cancellation. This being just one example of so many. I couldn’t think of a worse way of being selfish and dismissing our fans.

Nightwish is a way of life and a job with many obligations. To each other and to the fans. With you we can’t take care of those duties anymore.

Deep within we don’t know which one of you drove us to this point. Somehow Marcelo has changed you from the lovely girl you were into a diva, who doesn’t think or act the way she used to. You are too sure of your irreplaceableness and status.

It’s obvious that you blame your stress and misery on us four. And you think we don’t respect or listen to you. Believe us; We have always had the uppermost respect towards you as a wonderful vocalist and as a friend. And very often during the past couple of years the plans were made according to your decisions only. You were always the only one who wanted more money from the shows.
    This ”compensation and more money from everything” –attitude is the fact that we are most disappointed of!

We wish that from now on you will listen to your heart instead of Marcelo. Cultural differences combined with greed, opportunism and love is a dangerous combination. Do not wither yourself.

This decision is not something we are especially proud of but you gave us no choice. The gap between us is too wide. And the decision is made by us four unanimously. We are beyond the point where things could be settled by talking.

All the best for your life and career,

Tuomas

Emppu Jukka Marco

Ps. This is an open letter for everybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

My bofriend likes them, but he likes man-o-war. I think that says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    My bofriend likes them, but he likes man-o-war. I think that says it all.

Are you insulting the gods of metal!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Are you insulting the gods of metal!?

I wouldn't even know how to insult them! Their awesome in their supreme oiled up godliness. As it says in THE BIBLE: "Other bands play - Man o war kill" Revelations 3:12

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

nightwish are good
    apocolyptica are good they play metal with cellos

Apocalyptica are better than good. They are amazing at what they do, and not to mention very easy on the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tell me about it, woooowhee!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

there's a nightwish song that sounds like The Pogues "Turkish Song of The Damned"

I think thats Moondance from Oceanborn.

Advertisement