Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a (quiet) PSU

Options
  • 18-11-2006 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

After having purchased a 560W thermaltake "quiet" PSU, I'm feeling badly burned and will no longer accept the manufacturers assurance as to the loudness of their own products.
    This kind of thing used to be a specialty among PSU's (the Sharkoons and Zalmans of this world), but now I see that every Tom, Dick(head) and Harry is bandying the term about in an effort to hock their crap.
    Honest to God, this PSU vibrates like a sex-toy inside my PC... sure maybe the fans are being quiet, but turning my PC case into a crazy humming subwoofer is not my idea of quiet.

So I ask the good people of boards to reccomend a quiet PSU, preferably one you've used yourself over a period of time.
    I have a very quiet Sharkoon one here, but it's only 300W and apparently can't keep up with the stupidly high demands of recent hardware.

I think you can tell by the tone of this post that my noisey PSU has me ready to punch the head off someone :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

After having purchased a 560W thermaltake "quiet" PSU, I'm feeling badly burned and will no longer accept the manufacturers assurance as to the loudness of their own products.
    This kind of thing used to be a specialty among PSU's (the Sharkoons and Zalmans of this world), but now I see that every Tom, Dick(head) and Harry is bandying the term about in an effort to hock their crap.
    Honest to God, this PSU vibrates like a sex-toy inside my PC... sure maybe the fans are being quiet, but turning my PC case into a crazy humming subwoofer is not my idea of quiet.

So I ask the good people of boards to reccomend a quiet PSU, preferably one you've used yourself over a period of time.
    I have a very quiet Sharkoon one here, but it's only 300W and apparently can't keep up with the stupidly high demands of recent hardware.

I think you can tell by the tone of this post that my noisey PSU has me ready to punch the head off someone :D

Give a seasonic a shot, friend has one.

It's very quiet and is teh quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Honest to God, this PSU vibrates like a sex-toy inside my PC

How would you even know that? :D

Seriously...the PSU may be quiet but often it's how it's attached to the PC that can make all the difference. I had a similar problem and solved it by using one of those silicone rubber gaskets that fit between the psu and psu mount.

However..if it is the PSU thats noisy then the Hiper TypeR is very quiet indeed as is the Tagen Dual Engine. Neither of these can be heard over my hard drives spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The "antec 580 neoHE" is a good blend of power and quietness. I'd put it on a par with the psu's they use in Antec Sonata Cases which are uber quiet.

The hiper type R is quiet also but this beats it by quite a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

hopeful wrote:
    How would you even know that? :D
    Because that's where I hide all my... hmm I've said too much. :D

Actually an update on this... I went back to my Sharkoon 300W PSU and it quite readily powers an AMD64 4000 / Geforce 7900GS PCI-E... pfff... 450W minimum reccomended indeed :rolleyes:
    No stability or performance problems at all... 3dmark06 score hasn't worsened... no difference at all bar the lack of noise.
    Great PSU though, seems to take anything and everything I've thrown at it over the years... what a little trooper :D

good to hear, be careful though, jonski was running a similar setup and it was fine for a few days before going kablam and leaving him with a posessed motherboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

On the subject, Do's anyone have any opinions on this psu:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309565

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

You Suck! wrote:
    On the subject, Do's anyone have any opinions on this psu:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309565

I think the reviews on Komplett pretty much say it all. I have one...quiet and powerful but a pain to install in a P180. In a normal case the modular cables will be an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Quiet PC: PSU's

Have a look at this e-tailer, they stock a wide range of quiet pc components. I just bought from them last week, I needed a new chipset cooler and some HTPC stuff. The link shows their range of PSUs, if its quiet, they'll usually have it on there. Would your system allow for a fanless solution? But you will pay it, which is the only problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

wow, im surprised nobody has thrown in the traditional "thermaltake are ****e........." rant. So, il be the first. Ill add Q-Tec to that list too.

I found the b-quiet PSU's from hitide to be good, seasonic are decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

you can buy the Hiper in Peats and save on delivery.

• Advertisement

you can also get the hiper in pcwold for 99 euro, which is the cheapest i've seen it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I went back to my Sharkoon 300W PSU and it quite readily powers an AMD64 4000

The Sharkoon PSU produces quite a bit more than the 300w its rated for. I think the actual figure is 400-450w...... very decent PSU.
    I found the b-quiet PSU's from hitide to be good

I find them excellent, ive been through quite a few PSU's and they were the quietest ive used. Very good build quality and rails, also pretty decent on price.... they get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Got one of these in pcworld a year ago, very happy with it, extremely quiet, perfect for media playing machine

Got another cheap jeantech recently for another machine and is sounds like a jet engine, if I was back again I'd pay a bit more for the quiet type

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1804728760.1164053045@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddjgmdiffkcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=234351&category_oid=

Advertisement