Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Vs U2

Options
  • 18-11-2006 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

However, it is possible that both bands will miss out with several other big name artists rumoured to be releasing new albums on the very same day including Guns n' Roses and Jay-Z although with Oasis currently at number 36 in www.amazon.co.uk's pre-release chart U2 are already playing catch up.
    You what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Oasis 'Best Of' is pants..

... where's 'Whatever'? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

On Monday the 20th Oasis and U2 release their greatest hits albums respectively.
    Read about it Here.
    I have a €20 bet with my mate that U2 will reach the UK #1 spot after first week of sales. He is adamant that Oasis will win.

What do ye reckon?

T.Sc.

Given that the U2 "Greatest Hits" is essentially a rehashing of previous releases, I would certainly expect Oasis to beat them. That said, if people are prepared to queue overnight for three nights for the U2 CD, you just never know.

BTW - Anyone hear The Edge said "Thank You Sydney!" onstage in Melbourne? Oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Well seeing as it's Ireland U2 will more than likely get to number 1. The U2 best of is a bit of a joke seeing as there was one out with almost the exact same tracks a few years ago. Who are they targetting? I mean all of their fans must have these songs by now. all the same, some mad ****ers will still buy it and it'll get to no 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Advertisement

I think he's highlighting that they don't have a new album out on that date!

Are you highlighting guns n roses meaning that they will beat the 2 bands in question?

I assume he meant "What Guns'n'Roses CD?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

basquille wrote:
    The Oasis 'Best Of' is pants..

... where's 'Whatever'? :eek:

I think its a great collection of songs whilst it doesnt reflect their work entierly , any collection of 18 of their songs would leave out some classics , I would also say that Hindu Times and Rockin Chair should be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    BTW - Anyone hear The Edge said "Thank You Sydney!" onstage in Melbourne? Oops!
    He was thanking his sound engineer called Sidney. Apparently he was having a problem with his monitor for most of the gig and Sidney eventually sorted it so he was just showing his appreciation at the end of the show.

Anyway, moving on. I reckon Oasis will beat U2 in sales of their greatest hits especially considering that it's their first GH compilation. It's funny though, I was only saying recently that it was strange that they had never released a greatest hits and low and behold!! I must be fizzic!!

BaZmO* wrote:
    He was thanking his sound engineer called Sidney. Apparently he was having a problem with his monitor for most of the gig and Sidney eventually sorted it so he was just showing his appreciation at the end of the show.

No sarcastic smiley, you can't actually be serious! :D He did go on to "make up" for his blunder with...

"What I meant was, thank you Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne . . . but most of all Melbourne."

Although, U2 technical problems are well documented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDuK46ZqFM

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Of course I was joking :rolleyes: ........ :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The U2 collection will be a pretty big stocking filler. The Oasis one is pretty weak, given that the bulk of the tracks are from their first two albums and a handful of really key music isn't on it. Since U2 have had a considerably longer career and the only other hits collections they have is either 2 or 4 CDs depending on whether you have the remix and b-sides, I can see why a single album collection would be appealing to both the consumer and the record label.

Collections like these aren't geared towards fans of their entire catalogue, they're for people who like the bands but don't want to buy five or ten CDs to have the music they want to listen to. Oasis and U2 are perfect collection bands because of the longevity of their popularity and the strength of their singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Beatles will get number 1 imo

Mossy Monk wrote:
    And deservedly so..!

gustavo wrote:
    I think its a great collection of songs whilst it doesnt reflect their work entierly , any collection of 18 of their songs would leave out some classics , I would also say that Hindu Times and Rockin Chair should be in there.
    The problem with not having "Whatever" on it is that it's never been available on any of their albums, it was only released as a single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Mossy Monk wrote:

Only 200 copies ahead of Oasis I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

BaZmO* wrote:
    The problem with not having "Whatever" on it is that it's never been available on any of their albums, it was only released as a single.
    As far as i know they werent allowed to release it on any album due to some court ruling hence its non inclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

*Bets 20 quid that in a few months Noel or Liam, in one of their classic locked out of it interviews with Q magazine, will brand all those who bought the Greatest Hits as **** and tell them to go back to listening to Britney and such*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

gustavo wrote:
    As far as i know they werent allowed to release it on any album due to some court ruling hence its non inclusion.

ah yes, great ironies of our time #371

(i've a notion this is the reason, any anorak who knows any better is more than welcome to set me straight)

There was, back in the deep mists of time, around the late sixties, a band called the Bonzo doo dog-dah band, led by a chap called vivian stanshall, and among the members a bloke called Neil Innes. They were quite closely associated with the Monty Python team, and Eric Idle in particular. Anyway, Idle and Neil Innes, in the early 70's put together a mickey take act called 'The Rutles.' There was a movie called 'All You Need is Cash' and which included a song called 'How Sweet it is to be an Idiot'. Innes possessed a peculiar knack for producing very good Beatles pastiche pieces - so much so that at one point in the early 70's John Lennon is reported to have contacted him to state that 'you might want to be careful with *some song*, it might be a bit too close'. The sad thing is that Northern Songs did, at one point, manage to sue him...

It was the opening of this song that Noel Gallagher is claimed to have stolen and been sued for by Innes.

In other words, the band that claims to be the next best thing to the beatles has been successfully sued by a beatles piss-take band.

now *that's* entertainment...

• Advertisement

Is that true? Mad if it is.

It's on WIKI but I wouldn't take that as Gospel.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is that true? Mad if it is.

It's on WIKI but I wouldn't take that as Gospel.

Yeah - it's true. Back in the day when Q magazine was worth reading, Neil Innes was one of their 'untouchables'...and i particuarly remember before the rise of les freres Gallagher there was something about him having done all this great beatley-pop and getting no money and a reader was so hacked off, he wrote a cheque for fifty quid to Innes, c/o Q mag. They showed the cheque in the letters page!

as for the sueing oasis over whatever, that's deffo true. they also got done by Stevie Wonder for 'Step out'

Yeah - it's true.
    Mad, and quite funny too. A mate of mine would love to hear that they got done for copying a tribute band (of sorts).
    ...and a reader was so hacked off, he wrote a cheque for fifty quid to Innes, c/o Q mag. They showed the cheque in the letters page!...
    Haha, class. :D
    they also got done by Stevie Wonder for 'Step out'
    And by "The New Seekers" also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If you ever watch Monty Python live at the Hollywood Bowl, the song is sang by a bloke with a piano (presumabally by Innes) in a sort of interval. It's spot on 'Whatever'. Noel Gallagher claimed he never heard the song. Also, if I recall correctly, Bowie wanted co-writing credits, because of th Mott the Hoople outro. Not putting it on an album meant less cash for David.

As an aside, I first heard/saw this song on MTV with just an acoustic guitar and organ, and thought it was fantastic. The single version is truely awful. Way over-produced - orchestra, electric guitars, distorted vocals - it's like they were sitting in the studio trying to think what else they could throw in the mix.

noby wrote:
    As an aside, I first heard/saw this song on MTV with just an acoustic guitar and organ, and thought it was fantastic. The single version is truely awful. Way over-produced - orchestra, electric guitars, distorted vocals - it's like they were sitting in the studio trying to think what else they could throw in the mix.

You might be right about the overproduction...each to their own - but it had come on foot of 4 distorted guitar tunes which were the calling card of Def Maybe, so there might have been a desire to go a bit more 'mid period' beatley...the wisdom of that, I shall leave to others.

finally - here's a spot of rutlology for y'all...realise i've taken this thread way OT, but for gods sakes, it has it all...Monty Python, The Beatles, Lawsuits and a parallel universe where a band of hateful scousers released songs like 'Your Mother should Go, The Fool on the Pill, Shabbey Road...'

http://www.neilinnes.org/articles/RutQ96.htm - fave quote "At their final business meeting, 134 legal advisors and accountants entered an eight-by-ten foot room. Only 87 came out alive. "

I knew I recognised Neil Innes face when I saw the pictures, then I read...
    In between his Rutling stints, Innes worked quite happily in children's TV
    It was Puddle Lane, he played the Wizzard. Now there's a flashback!!

how nice - your sig and your main post intrinsically related....

• Advertisement

and your taking what medication?

westloaf at number 1. 5hit happening

two completely related sentiments - no medication needed, per se...

Advertisement