Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop PC wanted

Options
  • 18-11-2006 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I want to build or buy a PC which will run Photoshop CS2 without grinding to a halt. I currently use one I built a couple of years ago with an AMD 3000 processor and 1 Gb of RAM. I'm finding that it is getting slower all the time. Can you recommend a suitable spec and source please? I don't play games and most non image editing time would be spent on mundane tasks running OpenOffice and web browsing/publishing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Eh CS2 should run grand on that system. What size files are you dealing with? How are your fragmentation levels? One of my last machines I used for CAD and it was lower spec than that, I found increasing the amount of RAM accessable by PS helped with performance. Set it at around 80%.

If you WANT to get a new system, then i'd recommend a cheap C2D system, one of the Intel fanboys here will give you a spec, but i'd say a 6300 would do you for your needs. What is your budget? Do you need a new monitor/kb/mouse?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'd double the ram.
    duel core is a good idea as ps supports it.
    fast hd (7200)
    2nd fast hd(scratch disk)
    any ol graphics card, maybe dvi
    nice screen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have a 3-4 year old machine (Dell 4550, 2.66P4, 1gig RAM, 60 and 320 gig HDDs and an AGP 6600gt) and it runs CS2 fine apart from a bit of sluggishness when merging huge panoramas from 5 or 6 8MP shots. Make sure your scratch disks are setup to take advantage of any extra hard drives you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I second L31mr0d, that system you have should be at least useable with CS2. How are you for anti virus and antispyware protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

My system is usable and I use System mechanic to keep it optimised. I would still like something faster though. My files are about 10 megabyte RAW.

• Advertisement

WHAT... IS... YOUR... BUD... GET?

alternatively, overclock it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You likely be very interested in this thread then...

"How fast is your Photoshop ?"
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17649132

My advice is dualcore2, fast hard disks in raid 0 for stuff you are working on. Then a bigger slower drives for storage. All suitably backed up of course. And a ton of RAM 2-4GB. I'm a big fan of dual monitors myself.

2 min, 10 seconds, ouch! One guy there did it in 25 seconds! I guess there's your answer.

Mine takes 84 seconds. I would like to half this as I find that PS gets slower the longer it is open.

there is the memory purge option under the edit menu. this should clear up a lot of the resource hogging.

• Advertisement

In CS2 there is no such option under the edit menu.

joolsveer wrote:
    In CS2 there is no such option under the edit menu.

Yes there is...

L31mr0d wrote:
    WHAT... IS... YOUR... BUD... GET?

alternatively, overclock it :D

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

53 seconds.. I'm happy with that.

eo980 wrote:
    53 seconds.. I'm happy with that.

55secs... dammit :mad: although I am on stock volts and clocks atm.

also OP, do you want to upgrade or get a completely new system? Third times the charm.... Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

L31mr0d wrote:
    55secs... dammit :mad: although I am on stock volts and clocks atm.

Sadly me too, stupid board giving me a massive headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

50 secs for me...using PS 7 :)

krazy_8s wrote:
    Sadly me too, stupid board giving me a massive headache.

bah temps are all over the shop, i'm sitting on 50'c idle with my 165 atm :eek: I kid you not. Tuniq tower and coollabs getting installed tomorrow :)

Dual Core 3.4 D Dual Core Desktop, 1GB RAM, Using CS2 demo took 40 secs
    Dual Core 1.83 Laptop, 1GB RAM took Using CS2 demo took 40 secs.

Both off the stock Dell machines bought cheap off the outlet.

5uspect wrote:
    Yes there is...

You are right. Sorry about that.

On my PC this only purges the history states.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote:
    *ahem*

I don't have a specific sum in mind but most of the calculations I have done - the Dell site for example - give me a figure between 1,400 and 2,000. This is for a dual core PC with 2 gigs of RAM and about 500 Gb of storage. I would like to spend as little as possible if I can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In general, if you are going to start spending more then 900-1200 on a pc things swing heavily in favour of company's like Ankerman or Komplett for their ready build pc's.

http://www.ankermann-pc.com/en/
    http://komplett.ie/k/k.asp

joolsveer wrote:
    I don't have a specific sum in mind but most of the calculations I have done - the Dell site for example - give me a figure between 1,400 and 2,000. This is for a dual core PC with 2 gigs of RAM and about 500 Gb of storage. I would like to spend as little as possible if I can get away with it.

I got a 3.4 Dual Core, 1GB RAM, 2x250GB in RAID 0, DVDRW, 7900GS, (no monitor) for around €750incl VAT on the Dell outlet. Gives me around 40-50 in that photoshop test.

krazy_8s wrote:
    In general, if you are going to start spending more then 900-1200 on a pc things swing heavily in favour of company's like Ankerman or Komplett for their ready build pc's.

http://www.ankermann-pc.com/en/
    http://komplett.ie/k/k.asp

Personally I find thses sites expensive for a prebuilt PC.

dabs.ie seem to have some pretty good deals

Heres a list of comps from 750 to 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just bringing this thread to the top with a question..........

I am running a DELL:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    500Gb HD.

This computer is only used to run Photoshop CS3, nothing else.

I clock 48 seconds on the test earlier in this thread.

Up to now, I have been processing RAW files from a Canon 5D - about 70Mb.

I now have a Canon 1Ds Mk3 (120Mb approx.) and I will soon have a Hasselblad (250Mb approx.). This is in their basic state. Add a couple of layers and you're soon up to 500Mb+.

What can I do to maximize performance with what I've got?

Overclock? If so, how?

Anything else I can do relatively cheaply?

Thanks.

D.

Edited: Coming at this another way...........

If I was to get someone to build me a computer using Intel's Core 2 Extreme QX6850/3.00GHx FSB1333 8M, what RAM/HD/Graphics card should I consider adding to fully exploit this top of the range processor?

Many thanks.

D.

Advertisement