Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External IP

Options
  • 18-11-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you could tell me how I can find the external IP of my router. I know I can find my PC's IP from various sources and I can access my router from a local IP of 192.168.1.1 but I want to find my routers IP so I can connect to it externally and make changes.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Or an easier to remember www.whatismyip.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

As a follow on ....

By default you won't be able to connect to your router from an external IP.

If you enable external access be sure you know what you're doing and how to protect yourself from the bad guys.

Anyway, any changes you want to make you should be able to do from within your internal network.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you can make changes externally so can anyone. Bad idea.

IF there is an check box for "WAN access to WEB Configure" make sure you can't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Also try ...

change the default port that the router allows remote access through.

change the default username if possbile. Its usually set as something like "admin"

Use a strong password, so nothing from the dictionary, at least 8 characters long, and use a mix of capitals, non-capitlas, numbers and characters like .?! etc

Set access through https only.

tighten security on any PC's on your netw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Cheers for the feedback,

The reason I wanted to allow external access was so that I can send a WOL signal to my PC at home. That way when Im in work I can have it downloading stuff etc rather than have it turned on all the time wasting power while sitting idle. Has anyone done this can they give any advice?

PDD

You set up port forwarding then, to LAN IP address of PC. DEFINATELY don't enable the Router itself for external access.

Try forwarding a port the PC does NOT use. The PC OS will ignore it but the Network card should wake up the PC.

Eh ok so should I setup the PC with a fixed IP address and then enable port forwarding?

yes. But you need to pick port, TCP 3654 will do. AFAIK nothing important on it.
    Then on whereever you are
    telnet pdd.shacknet.nu 3654

if you used Dyndns service to get a free name for your WAN IP of your "modem/Router".

You extend this schem to multiple PCs, e.g. forward port 3655 to next PCs IP address.

Test the wakeup at home on a second PC by telnet 192.168.0.23 if for example that is Static IP of the sleeping box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

PDD wrote:
    Eh ok so should I setup the PC with a fixed IP address and then enable port forwarding?
    You don't need a static IP to do port forwarding - I bet your "dynamic" IP hasn't changed since you plugged your PC into the router.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the very helpful feedback. I have yet to sign up for DDNS, would ye recommend one? Also just out of curiosity is it possible for me to connect to my PC at home using a subdomain and DDNS?

I have also just tried to setup UltraVNC SingleClick so I can test it out as I have relatives that constantly call me for support so if I could use this or even standard UltraVNC it would be fantastic. I tried to follow the tutorial but I found them utterly confusing - has anyone tried these, could anyone figure them out?

PDD

PDD wrote:
    I have also just tried to setup UltraVNC SingleClick so I can test it out as I have relatives that constantly call me for support so if I could use this or even standard UltraVNC it would be fantastic.
    It'd be fantastic for anyone who wanted to hack into your relatives computers.

If they are running Windows XP, have you tried the Remote assistance option that's built into XP Home? It works a treat for helping out remote friends and family, even if they only have 1MB broadband. If you are both signed into Windows Messenger, sending a Remote Assistance request is just couple of clicks away.

Hey Foxwood,

Cheers for the feedback, I had discounted Microsofts Remote Assistance facilities as I had heard that they are damn easy to hack into. I know that with UltraVNC you can encrypt the connection so I thought that would have been more secure.

I have one relative on Windows 98 but I think you can setup Remote Assistance with an installation. Is there any other way to send a request for remote assistance than via messenger?

Dave

VNC can be setup more securely than XP remote assistance and works on Linux & XP & MAC.

PDD wrote:
    Cheers for the feedback, I had discounted Microsofts Remote Assistance facilities as I had heard that they are damn easy to hack into. I know that with UltraVNC you can encrypt the connection so I thought that would have been more secure.
    There are tens of millions of users on the internet running Windows XP. If the Remote Assistance facility was easy to hack into, I'm sure that sites like secunia.com would have mentioned it. And the session is also encrypted.
    I have one relative on Windows 98 but I think you can setup Remote Assistance with an installation.
    Nope. Remote Assistance is an XP function.
    Is there any other way to send a request for remote assistance than via messenger?
    Yes, you can send it by e-mail, but it's a more complicated process (especially if they're using a web-based e-mail account).

It will be hijacked.

watty wrote:
    It will be hijacked.
    Bollocks.

You're talking through your hat.

Foxwood, I would agree with Watty. Its not that Remote Assistance isnt secure its that its not made secure by XP users. Most security sites keep test on hardened systems and take the view from a corporate perspective as if they were to account for every non-techie Windows user they would have whack loads of "flaws".

Watty have you ever used UltraVNC SingleClick - if so any chance you can answer a few questions for me.

PDD

Advertisement