Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wireless broadband provider in dublin?

Options
  • 18-11-2006 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I live in Rathmines in Dublin and I was wondering who is the best wireless broadband provider for that area. I will be downloading a lot and so don't mind paying up to about 60 euro a month. I hear Irish broadband and clearwire are both pretty bad (although irish broadband is said to have improved alot lately). Also is digiweb metro and eircom both wireless? or do you need a phone line? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Metro is wireless
    eircom *CAN* do wireless, but won't. They will only offer via phone line. eircom FWA is about €54 p.m. and only 1/4 speed of normal broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Thanks for the info. SO is metro completely wireless? Cause I was looking up irishbroadband and it seems that for one of their services at least you need to put a receiver on the roof and run cables to wherever your pc is. I don't think I could do this as I live in a rented flat, and I'm on the 1st floor of a 3 floor building. Also whats the deal with clearwire. I had someone in PC world recommend them for wireless and they said they were better than irishbroadband cause irish broadband is down frequently. I also had a look at their site and it seems very good, but then in the poll on this site, clearwire had the least satisfied customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

well for digiweb metro and Irish broadband youll have to have an aerial installed on your roof..and from there a wire runnig to your pc..i think in anyway... could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The IBB or Digiweb aerials can point through a window or be on a balcony if you can see the mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I had someone in PC world recommend them
    Whatever you heard in PC World, do the exact opposite.

There are basicaly 2 types of wireless broadband - fixed, which generally requires an antenna on the roof, and "not fixed" for want of a better term. Fixed wireless can be fast and support users who download a lot. "not fixed" (such as ripwave and clearwire) is comparatively slow (but good enough for web browsing when it works).

If you're in rented accommodation, then fixed wireless probably isn't going to work for you, unless you're on a high floor, with a window facing the antenna, and can mount the antenna inside or on a balcony.

Fixed Wireless also usually has a high setup cost - if you're not going to be there for a couple of years, have a look at DSL again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

get cable bb along with tv if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am also looking for a provider (but in Sligo) as i've a feeling my new flat won't have a phone line.

The Chorus Bundles seem quite decent.. any feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Foxwood wrote:
    Whatever you heard in PC World, do the exact opposite.

In fairness, if it's between Clearwire and Ripwave, Clearwire does work to some extent.

Advertisement