Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tubes make much difference with punctures?

Options
  • 18-11-2006 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if the type/quality? of tube you use has much bearing on how susceptible you can be to getting punctures? if it does can anyone recommend a tube and shop in Dublin where I can get it for a 700x32 size tyre please.

thank you!

cozmik

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I had these on my last MTB.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7970
    I have them on my new bike now, think it is the same as yours -discovery 600. They only stock the red ones intended for 1.75"-26" tyres which is 44mm but they fit in my 32mm tyres fine, they give plenty of length and just wrap down the sides more. Handy thing is you can buy cheap tyres and reuse these strips when they are worn, rather than buying puncture proof tyres. The ones on the dawes 600 are supposed to be puncture resistant but I have had a fair few on mine.

Some people put an old inner tube in to line the tyre too. Those strips are extremely resistant, It is very hard to put a nail through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Thanks for the useful info! ,ruprect :) that kind of barrier between the tube and tyre sounds like it could work very well for me.
    Do you by any chance know where I could pick these up in a bike shop in Dublin or elsewhere in the country,It's just that I don't like to use my credit card online anymore after a bad experience.

Thanks again!

cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't know if you can get a temporary number to use, but CRC are pretty good company to use and damned cheap. You can always try ringing them.

I found them in cycleways :)

cozmik wrote:
    I found them in cycleways :)
    How much were they? did they have the blue ones for racers?

What trouble did you have with the C/C online? I have had one bad experience online, I know people who have had far more trouble "off line", I would never stop using mine online, I save an absolute fortune using it. Chainreaction are a good reputable firm.

• Advertisement

ruprect wrote:
    How much were they? did they have the blue ones for racers?
    Yep,I got blue ones 700x28 for 13e :)
    ruprect wrote:
    What trouble did you have with the C/C online? I have had one bad experience online, I know people who have had far more trouble "off line", I would never stop using mine online, I save an absolute fortune using it. Chainreaction are a good reputable firm.
    I had an unauthorized charge of 960.00e show up on my card a couple of days after I had made a purchase with it online. I cancelled that card and am disputing the charges with Visa but it's a real hassle!

btw it had nothing to do with chainreactioncycles. I've bought stuff from them before and agree they are a good company but I wouldn't say I ever made a huge saving on the stuff I bought.

cozmik

ehhh, 960! that is bad. I have made some good savings on chainreaction, but I really value them for the ease, i.e. not having to travel to the bike shop, free delivery within a few days is the real draw, even if it costs a little more (usually is the same or less though).

€13 was a good price. I was referring more to general buys online, like dvds, cds etc, I got my bike in from the UK at a very good price. Good luck with Visa.

ruprect wrote:
    I got my bike in from the UK at a very good price.

hey ruprect ,so did I hehe.. saved me a couple of hundred euro aswell :) but when you see how easily you can be ripped off it it makes you think twice about shopping online.

By the way the puncture tapes are running very smoothly, I haven't noticed any reduction in ride quality at all. ;)

thanks again!

cozmik

cozmik wrote:
    By the way the puncture tapes are running very smoothly, I haven't noticed any reduction in ride quality at all. ;)
    Good to hear. I got a puncutre with mine, due to the damn tape!
    On my last MTB I had the same problem, that time I didnt tape the 2 ends together and it pinched it in the centre where they joined. This time I did tape them up with insulating tape, but I may have used too much making it too stiff at that point. Also the fact it was the large red tape did not help. It looked like it slowly wore down the tube. The puncutre was extremely slow, had to pump it right up and use water to detect it, about 1 bubble every 5 seconds, couldnt hear it.
    Just be careful where they are joined, I would recommend a bit of insulating tape, I also considered putting a section of old inner tube over it but thought it would be too thick and that I would feel a bump while rolling over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I see the MTB tubeless (UST) system on road bikes now. UST is absolutly incredible, bike rolls incredible well, NEVER get punctures, I havnt had one in ~ 2 years, used to get ~ 3 a month pre-tubeless! Needs latex sealant to work properly though. Shimano are making the wheels (duraace level), hutch tyres. Expensive now, but in a couple of years it will trickle down to the cheaper wheel sets.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement