Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The statue buskers

Options
  • 18-11-2006 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Ok, as I was walking down Grafton street today I realised there was about 5 different buskers all pretending to be statues.
    Is this really the best thing they can do? What's worse is that they draw crowds making it difficult to get down the street. All those people stopping to stare at a guy standing still. What is so interesting about them? They're annoying and in the way.

What do you people think of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

They are just wannabie mimes, they wanna stand around all day like a statue, bah, i want some movement for my money !!

Now it they had two mimes in a robot/mime fight like in Eurotrip, that i would pay to see !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Most of them are pretty crap. The few that populate Barcelona blow them out of the water when it comes to 'standing around'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Rhyme wrote:
    Most of them are pretty crap. The few that populate Barcelona blow them out of the water when it comes to 'standing around'.

Don't say that or else we will have a huge "Statue Busker" migration to Ireland, where the tips will be higher, and all our "Statue Buskers" will be out of jobs and the whole "Statue Busker" economy will collapse due to competition and the fact that foreign "Statue Buskers" will work for less.

Won't someone think of the children !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pazaz 21 wrote:
    They are just wannabie mimes, they wanna stand around all day like a statue, bah, i want some movement for my money !!
    They do move when you put money in their bucket... clearly this is something you've never done though.

and never will do...

Such an irrelevant irritating activity, takes little or no talent, and gets in the way as the OP said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

The guy that dresses up as a devil is pretty cool and he does stuff. As for the people standing around blocking up the street that is a phenomenon on Grafton St that I like to call the corcle of cheap. It happens mostly with buskers, they'll stand there and watch, clap when the buskers finish etc. but no way will they move within 2 metres of the busker because then they might actually have to dip their hand in their pocket and give them something. Usually the easiest thing to do is just walk right through the middle and if you really want to make them feel bad, throw a few pennies to the failed, talentless musician with the 5 songs they're repeating over and over all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't find them entertaining but they don't annoy me either. Grafton Street has a much bigger problem...the chuggers...jesus, if they stood still and only did stuff when you put money in their bucket it would make walking down that street a whole lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

the Shades wrote:
    if you really want to make them feel bad, throw a few pennies to the failed, talentless musician with the 5 songs they're repeating over and over all day.

I don't think the musicians will be out for a while. It is winter and the fingers numb up. No way can a musician play in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They do move when you put money in their bucket... clearly this is something you've never done though.

Put money in a bucket?....pffhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Nudged over to Dublin forum from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea I was i there today and there must have been seven of them, just sitting or standing here, expecting money. It's hardly an art-form or in any difficult.

However fair play to them for their persistance, and for braving the cold.

Rhyme wrote:

Example...

100_0611.jpg

Imagine seeing that on your way to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, thats class.

I still wouldn't put pay him though

To me, he doesn't deserve any money. He just sits there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I fear to think what he would do if you did give him money, what with his pants being around his ankles and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not all do.
    I met one of the statue guys in a pub last weekend off Grafton St (he still all dressed up).
    He wasn't working that night, as he had a bad incident the night before with the South Africans in town for the rugby. One of them throw him some money, then questioned why he didn't move. He doesn't move, because he's being a statue, but the SA guy wasn't impressed and punched him one.

The two spanish guys on Grafton street were excellent today.One of them was playing Guitar and the other was a puppeteer.

The two spanish guys on Grafton street were excellent today.One of them was playing Guitar and the other was a puppeteer.

You see, that's talent. A guy sitting there doing nothing is not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

They're not spanish are they? the guitarist guy used busk solo and as a threesome on grafton st., and never thought he was spanish. the Puppeteer is definitely american from any time i've heard him talk anyhow.

• Advertisement

Not sure crash.I just heard him talk anout senoritas.I was extremely hungover at the time so you are probably right.

Advertisement