Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeals on Cold Start-Up

Options
  • 18-11-2006 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,
    My wifes 00 Golf convertible has recently started to squeal when cold. It squeals until the engine warms up and then is fine. Yesterday on a cold start there was a short grinding noise. I tried it again this morning and the noise was still there on the initial crank and then it disappears. However the original squeal remains.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Squeal is almost always down to a loose drivebelt (NOT cambelt!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The car squeels?

sorry had to get that in there...:o

Yeah, sounds like what mike said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gavin1 wrote:
    Hi,
    My wifes 00 Golf convertible has recently started to squeal when cold. It squeals until the engine warms up and then is fine. Yesterday on a cold start there was a short grinding noise. I tried it again this morning and the noise was still there on the initial crank and then it disappears. However the original squeal remains.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    sounds like aux belt (fan belt). I have same problem and I've narrowed it down to that also

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, sounds like the fan belt to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes, sounds like the fan belt to me.

spray some WD40 on the belt and see if the noise disappears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is it not a sign that the belt needs replacing....that is starting to wear

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the responses.

Is getting this fan belt replaced an expensive job? Also is this what is causing my recent grinding?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

it might cost €20, parts and labour to replace - it ain't expensive.

it's hard to say what the grinding could be - have the mechanic check the pulleys while the belt is off - you could have something (alternator, power-steering pump, etc) on the way out, which could also give light to why the belt is squealing in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Grinding could be the water pump. AFAIK a 2000 VW Colf Convertible uses the older 1.8 petrol engine which uses the old 020 water pump from the MKII Golfs & Passats. This pump is known for wear - usually identified by a grinding noise from the bearing in the pump. VW do used to supply a factory reconditioned pump,, not sure if the still do - check with your local dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

spray some WD40 on the belt and see if the noise disappears
    surely if the belt is slipping, WD40 isn't going to help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote:
    surely if the belt is slipping, WD40 isn't going to help?
    It won't stop the slipping, but it will lubricate and stop the squealing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I had it on an old car b4 and talcum powder sorted it out a treat just put it onto the bet when its turning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just loosen the retaining bolt on the alternator and move it so it tightens up the slack on the fan belt. Retighten the alternator bolt after. Should fix it.

Advertisement