Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice Kyteler to hit the silver screen...

• 18-11-2006 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/?jp=CWIDOJGBMHAU

Actress Judd to write screenplay on Irish witchcraft trial

18/11/2006 - 15:00:31

The life of one of Kilkenny's most famous women, who was accused of witchcraft and condemned by the Catholic Church during the 14th century, is to be made into a film.

Hollywood actress Ashley Judd has bought the rights to ''The Burning Time'' about the life Alice Kyteler.

Based on Robin Morgan’s novel of the same name, the film is concerns Kyteler’s battle with a local bishop after she refused to give up her land or faith when the European Inquisition arrived in Ireland.

Kyteler was the first person in to be charged with witchcraft in 1324, and became one of many condemned for merging pagan beliefs with Christianity.

Judd is planning to write the screenplay of the story herself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Pity it's not Angelina Jolie, would make a great alice kyteler;) I Assume it
    will be filmed in kilkenny??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

djpaul wrote:
    Pity it's not Angelina Jolie, would make a great alice kyteler;) I Assume it
    will be filmed in kilkenny??
    I wish!
    I supose they'll film parts of it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

hopefully she'll go to the effort of reading the trial transcript - its available in the Red Book of Ossory (I think thats whats its called)

Its an interesting story - what happens when you go against the power of the (then) church. Poor auld Petronalla though :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be filmed up the country to be honest, Breakfast On Pluto was set in Claire and was filmed in Callan :)

Was nice of the Kilkenny People to do their normal job and hardly mention it or anything else that happens outside "the city".

Advertisement