Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This time it really was a woman what done it

Options
  • 18-11-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I was trying to teach my younger sister how to reverse up a hill in my old mk3 golf which had a set of 17" alloys on it. While reversing into the yard theres a slight hill with two pillirs either side and she had the wheel locked in order to turn into the yard. She at this stage had the handbrake on but let it down and hit the gas pedal a little to hard and with the wheel locked the front passanger side alloy hit the pillar quiet a belt and id like some info before i leave it in to be fixed. I've since taken the alloys of as they weren't the best as i have no power steering. The CV joints were gone before this but the symptions since geting whacked of the pillar are hard to define except to say the car is not safe to drive. You really notice it when doing a 360 about turn, that is to say when you lock the wheel in either direction. When i replaced the alloys i had a good luck around a couldn't see any visable damage but theres something up, big time. What would you say is wrong here and am i looking at a high bill. I also have to replace the bushings on the rear axel which i've bought and now only need to get them replaced, would this be an expensive thing to get done also. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Edited by kbannon: if you say anything like that again you'll be banned. Last warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

First thing you could do is to take it for an alignment (all 4 wheels) - fingers crossed, that's all it needs. Could be there's a track-rod bent, and the alignment dudes will quickly suss that out. At least that's cheap (15 quid to buy, 20 quid to fit at a guess).

Wishbones and suchlike are stronger, but are designed to crumple with a bad knock. Figure on 120 to 180 euros for each of those. Dunno if the Golf has wishbone suspension, but if it does there could be one or two per corner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Edited by kbannon: if you say anything like that again you'll be banned. Last warning.
    erm, your post wasn't edited by anyone including myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Could have bent the wishbone, had a Micra that this happened to before. Wishbone only took me about a half hour to replace, dead easy, cost about 200euro from a dealer, just went and got the tracking etc. done afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

kbannon wrote:
    erm, your post wasn't edited by anyone including myself!

Utterly bizarre, so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement