Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidelines for healing your piercings - UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You can use mouthwash though you'd need to ensure you're using an alcohol free mouthwash. They are readily available, you probably just never noticed them among the other mouthwashes because you wouldn't be looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Oral B make a good alcohol free mouthwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

well i just checked and theres plenty of alcohol in mine! il just stick with the salt water so..

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I've wanted the bottom of my bellybutton pierced for ages. I had the top of it done years ago and had no problems with it whatsoever. Decided about 2 years ago I wanted 2 at an angle on the bottom. Had 1 done first and decided to let it heal before getting the other side pierced. After about 6 months it rejected. 6 months later I went on impulse to a studio in Camden and asked would it be ok to pierce through scar tissue. He said there'd be no problem. Got it done and it rejected again after 6 months.

I really really really want to get it done again - I absolutely loved it! Is it worth my while? Maybe 3rd time lucky no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Totally depends, if they pierced behind the scar tissue itd have a better chance. Go to one of the good studios here and they'l let ya know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Although if it is re-pierced in the exact same spot there is a chance it could migrate into the old piercing holes, thus possibly rejecting..

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Thanks Guys. Yeah, Paddy in Temple Bar did a really good job with mine the first time, just that my body rejected it... It looked really good. The second one didn't look as good but I wonder if it was because of the scar tissue he pierced through. I dunno. Maybe I'll go in and have a mini consultation with him.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I'm thinking of getting my labret done. I have a goatee, would I need to shave off the soul-patch area before getting it done?

Do the world a favour and shave off the soul patch area ;)
    Depends how thick it is tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wilburt wrote: »
    Do the world a favour and shave off the soul patch area ;)

Watch it ginger nuts!!! ;):p

I'd say more that likely that you'd have to shave it off or at least trim it. You could always regrow it once the piercing had healed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 strooooble

Just an fyi really, but I pposted here a few months ago about my tongue piercing. At the time I was really worried about it, and it was seeping quite a bit, but I stuck it out, dyluted the mouthwash and kept cleaning it. And it really turned out fine. It was ok when I got the bar exchanged but I think it must have been slightly too small. It started to hurt after a few days. So simply exchanged it for a slightly longer one. I have one of those bioplast ones now and it feels really great. I am really happy with it now. Thanks for the ongoing support and advice people give on this board. I'm finding it quite reassuring. :D

*cookies for all*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I got my tragus done about 2months ago, and am getting alot of dry skin building up on the inside of my ear, I thought it might have been from the solution provided, so i stopped using it as often) but im still getting it.
    Im gonna go back to the piercer for some advice some of the evenings but i was just wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭suzbox

i got my tragus done lyk a year ago but its lyk moving outwards lol sounds rele weird is ther a such thing as a delayed rejection ??

gucci wrote: »
    I got my tragus done about 2months ago, and am getting alot of dry skin building up on the inside of my ear, I thought it might have been from the solution provided, so i stopped using it as often) but im still getting it.
    Im gonna go back to the piercer for some advice some of the evenings but i was just wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing?
    dats the same with me vry strange

Sort of, more migration of the piercing. Same thing happend to my mate. She had her tragus pierced and over the period of 3 years it budged bit by bit until one day she just took it out to save herself a biggish scar. I suggest you do the same as my mate and take it out.

but lyk if i tke it out will i not just ahve a big hole where it was ?? cos even the bar i have in is a bit loose

it will close up eventually

but it'l still luk a bit funny tho ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭pe-cze

suzbox wrote: »
    but it'l still luk a bit funny tho ?

It will look lyk a normal scar after piercing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

i got my upper ear (helix?) pierced about 8 weeks ago and i have been washing it with salt+water but the back seems a bit swollen the i think its an infection and my doctor says just take it out but on a personal level he is against piercings(rebel daughter) so i was wondering is there any way i could let it heal without closing it or is it goodbye ?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

i got my upper ear (helix?) pierced about 8 weeks ago and i have been washing it with salt+water but the back seems a bit swollen the i think its an infection and my doctor says just take it out but on a personal level he is against piercings(rebel daughter) so i was wondering is there any way i could let it heal without closing it or is it goodbye ?:(

You should go to a piercer, they have seen it all before and will know what's up.

Now cartilage piercings take a long time to heal and can act up, mine is nearly 2 years old and from time to time it acts up.

Expect swelling in them, if you really think it's bad go to a piercer though, we won't be able to tell you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I still have the boil around my medusa piercing - it looks horrible :( It drained itself this morning. I was doing sea salt soaks but they were useless - so I've started using tea tree oil (li'l bit on a cotton bud) which helps the piercing drain but doesn't stop the goo from building up again.

Any other tips? Its been going on for weeks now, and it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller :mad:

Could it be a reaction to the jewellery?
    Presume ya mad sure the bar is long enough and all that. How ya been health wise lately?

Yeah the bar is fine, it pokes out when I smile :cool: Health-wise I've been pretty crap actually - two fairly horrible colds in the past 6 weeks which is unusual for me... maybe the runny nose and constant tissue action didn't help. I just wish it would make a slight improvement though...

That could be the issue right there then. Plenty of vitamin c and just lookin after yourself :)

Thanks Will :)

It justs annoying me though, I've had piercings flare up when I'm sick - but they never got as far as boil stage, wth uber goo n'stuff. Plus ts right slap bang in the middle of my face, not cool! I'll keep up with the current treatment anywho, and come back crying when it doesn't work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Megron

jenizzle wrote: »
    I still have the boil around my medusa piercing - it looks horrible :( It drained itself this morning. I was doing sea salt soaks but they were useless - so I've started using tea tree oil (li'l bit on a cotton bud) which helps the piercing drain but doesn't stop the goo from building up again.

Any other tips? Its been going on for weeks now, and it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller :mad:

your jewelry could have a bit of nickel in it and you could be having a reaction, I personally can't use anything but 316 LVM surgical or titanium.

also, have you spoken to your piercer about it? seems like draining something like that should be done with a sterile blade, just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Megron

I used to work in the states and when I gave my clients care instructions I gave them specific brand names to pick up to avoid any confusion. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the irish equivalent to "dial" it's an unscented antibacterial hand soap in a pump.. and "biotene" it was advertised as a "dry mouth rinse" and to heal mouth ulcers, it was a milky kind of alcohol free mouth wash that worked great for oral piercings.

I really dig H2Ocean on a personal level for healing since it is a sterile sea salt spray that continues to be sterile because of a special internal bag.. but I had them send me some of their mouthwash along with the H2Ocean order I got and the mouth rinse tastes really really bad.. like so bad I think some less diligent clients might not even use it.

thanks in advance!

not familiar with that particular brand, we sually just tell people to dilute their mouthwash if there is an issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I think the equivelent to Dial would be carex- it's an unscented, anti-bacterial mild soap?

Oral B is an alcohol free mouth wash, but it's not dry.

Advertisement