Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidelines for healing your piercings - UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

bah ive been drinking, mind ing my bros party :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Drinking too much alcohol mouthwash? ;)

no too much vodka, beer and aftershock :pac: woop woop

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Megron wrote: »
    I used to work in the states and when I gave my clients care instructions I gave them specific brand names to pick up to avoid any confusion. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the irish equivalent to "dial" it's an unscented antibacterial hand soap in a pump.. and "biotene" it was advertised as a "dry mouth rinse" and to heal mouth ulcers, it was a milky kind of alcohol free mouth wash that worked great for oral piercings.

I really dig H2Ocean on a personal level for healing since it is a sterile sea salt spray that continues to be sterile because of a special internal bag.. but I had them send me some of their mouthwash along with the H2Ocean order I got and the mouth rinse tastes really really bad.. like so bad I think some less diligent clients might not even use it.

thanks in advance!
    Gauge wrote: »
    I think the equivelent to Dial would be carex- it's an unscented, anti-bacterial mild soap?

Oral B is an alcohol free mouth wash, but it's not dry.

Carex is what I used on my tattoos, but I think it is scented... ?
    I use the blue "Bacteria Protect" one as my handwash, and used it on my tattoos too.
    http://www.carex.co.uk/products/protecting-anti-bacterial-handwash.htm

As for alcohol-free mouthwash, I have started using the Dentyl pH one, that's two liquids that you shake to mix when you're using (and they seperate again in the bottle). It seems like a good mouthwash, but I'd be unsure about using it for oral piercings... might there be a chance that one of the liquids could coat the piercing?
    http://www.dentylph.com/smooth.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Megron

Carex is what I used on my tattoos, but I think it is scented... ?
    I use the blue "Bacteria Protect" one as my handwash, and used it on my tattoos too.
    http://www.carex.co.uk/products/protecting-anti-bacterial-handwash.htm

As for alcohol-free mouthwash, I have started using the Dentyl pH one, that's two liquids that you shake to mix when you're using (and they seperate again in the bottle). It seems like a good mouthwash, but I'd be unsure about using it for oral piercings... might there be a chance that one of the liquids could coat the piercing?
    http://www.dentylph.com/smooth.htm

hey guys, thanks so much for the help!

• Advertisement

No problem! :D
    That Dentyl pH mouthwash actually clings to the stuff it's removing from your mouth too though, and you can see exactly what's coming out :D Gross, but cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

According to the Snakebite aftercare sheet on my fridge, Sanex is Dial in the US ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

your jewelry could have a bit of nickel in it and you could be having a reaction, I personally can't use anything but 316 LVM surgical or titanium.

also, have you spoken to your piercer about it? seems like draining something like that should be done with a sterile blade, just a thought.

Well, the boil of doom has disappeared :D I found a nice mixture of tea tree oil and an antiseptic cream (which I KNOW is against all piercing healing rules - no creams near piercings but I was so fed up with it:( ) Just waiting for the redness to disappear :)

Regarding H2Ocean - I find it is the total shiznit when it comes to healing. But have you found that the spray can stops working after a few times? I've had three that just stop working after a few times, like the pressure just seems to disappear.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Well, the boil of doom has disappeared :D I found a nice mixture of tea tree oil and an antiseptic cream (which I KNOW is against all piercing healing rules - no creams near piercings but I was so fed up with it:( ) Just waiting for the redness to disappear :)

Regarding H2Ocean - I find it is the total shiznit when it comes to healing. But have you found that the spray can stops working after a few times? I've had three that just stop working after a few times, like the pressure just seems to disappear.

every now and then that will happen, then you need use a pin or needle to poke the opening where the spray comes out, sometimes the salt will build up and block the nozzle from spraying

also, you can run it under hot water... i use the large spray cans for about four weeks no problem! if you have the same problem and my advice doesn't work, call the number for H2Ocean and they'll send you a new one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Damo: Carex have some scented soaps, but you can get it unscented too :) I use the lemon one for my hands and keep the unscented one for my piercings :D

• Advertisement

Ah! Haven't come across the unscented one myself, but I do quite like the blue anti-bacterial one. Haven't had any piercings that I could test it out on though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hey, megron, just wondering if i can ask your general advice on this one...

my piercer's quit his studio (they wanted to charge him more, he refused, still on good terms, he's now got some big portable studio plans for rural nz), but anyway, about... june/july, i took a leap and decided to go for two piercings at the front of my neck, PTFE from teh start, piercer swore by them, and he has one in the centre of his neck that's perfectly healed for a few years now. for me, it's as much an experiment as anything else, ive a tonne of scarring on my neck anyway, so not worried about it not working out, though obviously, would like it to. the one on the left, is healing up nicely, but the one on the right, seems to be less happy.

i took this about a month or so ago... after flying to ireland from nz (about 2days on planes), the piercings got really really agitated, and looked all blood blistery or somethign for a bit.

Snap490-1.jpg

really settled down now, though the one on the right, was all crusty and scabbed up till this morning, soaked it in sea salt and hot water, scabs fell off, and ended looking all raw afterwards...

any recommendations/explanations/causes, etc?

plan at the moment is, unless i get foreced to take it out by work, or it just looks like it's never ever ever gonna heal, im keeping it in. at the moment, contemplating giving the one on the right (that's troublesome) till xmas, and then if it's not getting better, taking it out, and keeping the one on the left in.

btw, since those pics, the ptfe's been shortened and all that.

err... thanks if you can do anything.

hey, megron, just wondering if i can ask your general advice on this one...

my piercer's quit his studio (they wanted to charge him more, he refused, still on good terms, he's now got some big portable studio plans for rural nz), but anyway, about... june/july, i took a leap and decided to go for two piercings at the front of my neck, PTFE from teh start, piercer swore by them, and he has one in the centre of his neck that's perfectly healed for a few years now. for me, it's as much an experiment as anything else, ive a tonne of scarring on my neck anyway, so not worried about it not working out, though obviously, would like it to. the one on the left, is healing up nicely, but the one on the right, seems to be less happy.

i took this about a month or so ago... after flying to ireland from nz (about 2days on planes), the piercings got really really agitated, and looked all blood blistery or somethign for a bit.

Snap490-1.jpg

really settled down now, though the one on the right, was all crusty and scabbed up till this morning, soaked it in sea salt and hot water, scabs fell off, and ended looking all raw afterwards...

any recommendations/explanations/causes, etc?

plan at the moment is, unless i get foreced to take it out by work, or it just looks like it's never ever ever gonna heal, im keeping it in. at the moment, contemplating giving the one on the right (that's troublesome) till xmas, and then if it's not getting better, taking it out, and keeping the one on the left in.

btw, since those pics, the ptfe's been shortened and all that.

err... thanks if you can do anything.

i *really* dislike giving advice when I can't put my hands on the piercing. If you can come into the shop to see me on friday or saturday I'd be happy to clean everything up and get a good look so I can give you the best recommendation possible for healing and such.

PTFE isn't something I would personally "swear by" myself. The problem with PTFE is that while it works for some people, it is NEARLY nonporous, not completely nonporous. this means that if you get an infection or have any issues it can be absorbed and held in your PTFE jewelry, where as titanium (that is of surgical implant grade, which is not always used around here, as i found out), will NOT hold or absorb anything. (i should know, my back is half constructed from it :)).

Also, I noticed that here the "sea salt mixture" tends to be the word of god to most piercers/piercees. I find that the sea salt approach has a little bit too much margin for error, as people don't normally used STERILE sea salt, and if they do, once the packaging is open, it is no longer sterile. the water it is mixed in also has to be boiled, and then put into something else that might not be 100% clean... you get where I am going.

If you can't make it into the shop for me to have a proper look at it (which I really hope you do, i have a medical background so sometimes seeing the piercing helps me better access what needs to be done on a more individual basis) then try this:

get some anti bacterial hand soap, it has to be UNSCENTED, we use "dial" in the states, but some kind people have listed other alternatives above. Make sure it is pump soap as bars sit in warm moist places when they aren't being used. do this process:

wash your hands, rinse your hands, dry your hands kitchen roll
    get a CLEAN qtip from packaging.
    put some warm water and your unscented soap on it, clean ANY crusties away that could be pulled through the piercing, take note of the colour (you know what the normal ones look like).
    soap your hands wash your piercing (i would say move it back and fourth, but if it is that irritated you probably shouldn't)
    rinse your piercing really well.
    dry with kitchen roll/ a clean towel.

i KNOW it sounds anal and probably a little preschoolish, but I always give the most idiot proof instructions i have to everyone, just in case there is an idiot among the masses :)

i'll be in from 1130-9 on friday and saturday

The distance will be an obstacle as she's absconded to New Zealand, but that's good advice nonetheless! :D

i *really* dislike giving advice when I can't put my hands on the piercing. If you can come into the shop to see me on friday or saturday I'd be happy to clean everything up and get a good look so I can give you the best recommendation possible for healing and such.

nah, i'm right.. living in new zealand now, just had a trip to ireland, and, if all visas go well (please, cross your fingers and pray for me), ill not be back for a few years yet. like i say, im not *too* worried. looks like the left one will defo make it through. also, i forgot to mention, i do tend to surf a coupla times a week, and, being a total grommie, will tend to get pushed around by the waves a bit, have gotten one or two 'slaps' to the neck.
    PTFE isn't something I would personally "swear by" myself. The problem with PTFE is that while it works for some people, it is NEARLY nonporous, not completely nonporous. this means that if you get an infection or have any issues it can be absorbed and held in your PTFE jewelry, where as titanium (that is of surgical implant grade, which is not always used around here, as i found out), will NOT hold or absorb anything. (i should know, my back is half constructed from it :)).

ive heard a fair few arguments both for and against ptfe alright. twas a bit of an experiment for me getting it, just to see if maybe it might go...

i wonder if i picked up something in the recycled air in the plane. hmmm.
    Also, I noticed that here the "sea salt mixture" tends to be the word of god to most piercers/piercees. I find that the sea salt approach has a little bit too much margin for error, as people don't normally used STERILE sea salt, and if they do, once the packaging is open, it is no longer sterile. the water it is mixed in also has to be boiled, and then put into something else that might not be 100% clean... you get where I am going.

:o have to confess to not doing it that well now. i do take the utmost cautions with a new piercing, but do tend to take it easier as it gets older. shall resort to ubercleanliness.

get some anti bacterial hand soap, it has to be UNSCENTED, we use "dial" in the states, but some kind people have listed other alternatives above. Make sure it is pump soap as bars sit in warm moist places when they aren't being used. do this process:

wash your hands, rinse your hands, dry your hands kitchen roll
    get a CLEAN qtip from packaging.
    put some warm water and your unscented soap on it, clean ANY crusties away that could be pulled through the piercing, take note of the colour (you know what the normal ones look like).
    soap your hands wash your piercing (i would say move it back and fourth, but if it is that irritated you probably shouldn't)
    rinse your piercing really well.
    dry with kitchen roll/ a clean towel.

ill try it. in a couple of weeks... don't quite have the money for all the ingredients at this point, am on a bit of a lot of a budget... but looks good alright. also, never used q-tips on them before. was recommended before makeup removal cotton pads, the kind that don't leave bits of cotton behind, and have used them for ove ra year now. usually dip them in the salt water, and hold them over the piercing, with a little pressure on the middle, to force all the crusty bits out. when i feel it a bit clogged up, or during the newer days, ive always found it quite effective to use, seems to draw out a fair bit of gunk.
    i KNOW it sounds anal and probably a little preschoolish, but I always give the most idiot proof instructions i have to everyone, just in case there is an idiot among the masses :)

don't worry, i work in preschools anyway, no offence taken :D
    and short sentences and small words do tend to work best for me...

*edit*... oi! damo! i havent absconded... i've adventured to new zealand :D

(and you're just jealous cos it's warm and sunny here) :P

The distance will be an obstacle as she's absconded to New Zealand, but that's good advice nonetheless! :D

lol! well

try that anyway and see if it works for you!

*edit*... oi! damo! i havent absconded... i've adventured to new zealand :D

(and you're just jealous cos it's warm and sunny here) :P

Was gonna say "buggered off" but was being nice instead ;) :pac:

I must say, that represents a level of hypocrisy in you that I'd previously suspected, but not noticed due to your highly evasive skills.

What highly evasive skills?

<_<

>_>

*runs to OTB before the big red giant gets cranky*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

hey, just wanted to offer my own personal experience of genital piercings in relation to peeing. First time I got my PA done, I was drinking anything (non alcoholic) the day before/the day of getting it done and only heard after i got it done to drink only water to keep your pee's PH as neutral as possible, once i did this there was no more burning sensation while peeing.
    Well I recently went and got an Apadravya done (had taken PA out about a year ago) and drank only water from about 24 hours before and am still drinking it now 24 hours afterwards and it hasn't burned at all (I have had one pint of guinness and 2 cups of tea as well but had plenty of water accompanying them).

Hope this is of some help to someone seeing as the burning peeing was the part that annoyed me most about the PA in the first place

• Advertisement

Alternatively, dunk it in a cup of lukewarm/body temp water, and control the flow (ie - only let it flow out slowly by applying pressure to the ... erm... main part)

That way there is very little/no sting/burn. Only time I experienced any burning was when I didn't control the flow and it *rushed* out like normal.

Other issue related to peeing with a PA - The need to sit down, particularly as it kinda stretches, and sometimes the pee comes out the newly pierced hole -_-

I urinated on my face somehow when I got mine done originally, was standing up and all :pac: A rogue stream as it were!

Laugh it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

After the PA is fully healed, do you still need to sit down for every pee?

I found I could plug the bottom hole with the ball from the ring myself

Spuddy - tbh really depends, I'd a fair amount of 'dribble' so always had a tissue handy but mine wasn't a PA. Depends on person to person :)

One way to find out tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Will wrote: »

Yup, I'm gonna move over to the dark side at some stage in 2009!

Will wrote: »
    Spuddy - tbh really depends, I'd a fair amount of 'dribble' so always had a tissue handy but mine wasn't a PA. Depends on person to person :)

Mine is a fully healed PA and I've moved up from a 2.4mm CBR to a 3.2mm one, and the ring effects the flow, and you get some "dribble" as Will put it from the new hole.

Wierdest experience with it: the ring moves quite freely, so unknown to me it had turned and the ball was in the urethra... so I sat down and had a high pressure jet coming out of the other hole as the other route was completely blocked :o

Wierdest experience with it: the ring moves quite freely, so unknown to me it had turned and the ball was in the urethra... so I sat down and had a high pressure jet coming out of the other hole as the other route was completely blocked :o

I remember this happening me a few times before I got used to it - once was at a urinal in a bar, that was quite unplesant, thankfully I was wearing dark trousers so you'd have to look really hard to notice that I'd peed all over myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

3 out of 4 earlobe piercings I got done in June developed icky abscesses on them and near them.

I was told to start cleaning them again :(

I was wondering if there's anything else I can do to speed up the healing. I'm sick of them acting up really wanna start using different jewellery too.

Maybe something I can get in a pharmacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

does anyone get really dry skin whenever they give soaks? :(
    i have dry skin as it iss and i'm wondering is there anything to combat my dry skin without iirriatatin the piercing (the dry skin is mainly around it)

Advertisement