Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidelines for healing your piercings - UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

my tunnel in my ear gets very dry, usually after a showr or bath, so i usually use E45 cream, silkcox base (also a cream) or bepanthen (for nappy rash but is great for dry piercings). They are very mild and dont have perfumes so are less irritating than most, even on a fresh piercing(and rubbed onto tattoos makes the tat really stand out). All available from your local pharmacy and are quite cheap :)

hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

pixiestix wrote: »
    my tunnel in my ear gets very dry, usually after a showr or bath, so i usually use E45 cream, silkcox base (also a cream) or bepanthen (for nappy rash but is great for dry piercings). They are very mild and dont have perfumes so are less irritating than most, even on a fresh piercing(and rubbed onto tattoos makes the tat really stand out). All available from your local pharmacy and are quite cheap :)

hope it helps
    thank you verrrrry much :pac:
    i have silcoxs base, i'll try that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cant say about piercings, but bepanthen really is the sh!t for tattoos. If the piercing is reasonably fresh though you will want to keep the creams away from the piercing itself, the skin near it is ok, but make sure and keep it out of the actual piercing!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

yer welcomes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

I have a fresh peircing and really want to take care of it. the peircer said to clean it with salt water. I dont actually have any salt, but will buy some seasalt on monday when the shops are open.

my question was, can i use contact lense solution to clean it in the mean time? It's just saline, which is just salt water?

Basically what would you reccomend until monday.
    to clean it with just boiled water.
    borrow some salt and clean it with normal salt (table salt?) and boiled water.
    or to clean it with the contact lens solution.

thanks so much for any advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Wouldnt use contact lense solution, if you don't have sea salt just use hot water for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

suzaane wrote: »
    does anyone get really dry skin whenever they give soaks? :(
    i have dry skin as it iss and i'm wondering is there anything to combat my dry skin without iirriatatin the piercing (the dry skin is mainly around it)

You're quite possibly using too much sea salt for the amount of water you're using - this can sometimes cause the skin around piercings to dry out. Personally I use a quarter tsp of sea salt to a pint of water, but I know some people who use a lot more salt and are fine with it, so obviously it depends on the person - maybe since you have dry skin as it is you would be better off using less sea salt than your piercer tells you to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

-lala- wrote: »
    You're quite possibly using too much sea salt for the amount of water you're using - this can sometimes cause the skin around piercings to dry out. Personally I use a quarter tsp of sea salt to a pint of water, but I know some people who use a lot more salt and are fine with it, so obviously it depends on the person - maybe since you have dry skin as it is you would be better off using less sea salt than your piercer tells you to?

I agree. Same sort of thing happened to me and I was told to use less salt.
    Hard to measure without a pint glass:o

updated somewhat

Updated a few days ago with more stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I got my ears pierced 8 weeks ago and i want to change the jewlery now, the earings i have in are the rings with a ball, I've tried to open the rings without success, does anyone have any tips on how to do it without pulling on them to hard or maybe thats the problem i'm just being too gentle? Stupid question I know but if I cant take them out myself i'll have to go back to the piercing plarlour :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This is only recommended if you have VERY steady hands and are VERY careful with it, but a pair of small scissors, like nail scissors... put them into the ring and open the scissors, with your hand under to catch the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Firedance wrote: »
    I got my ears pierced 8 weeks ago and i want to change the jewlery now, the earings i have in are the rings with a ball, I've tried to open the rings without success, does anyone have any tips on how to do it without pulling on them to hard or maybe thats the problem i'm just being too gentle? Stupid question I know but if I cant take them out myself i'll have to go back to the piercing plarlour :o

If you're having difficulty opening them, and if Damo's suggestion doesn't work (or if you don't have steady hands), just go back to the studio - they should change it for free and it'll be much less hassle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

This is only recommended if you have VERY steady hands and are VERY careful with it, but a pair of small scissors, like nail scissors... put them into the ring and open the scissors, with your hand under to catch the ball.

Thanks Damo, that worked no problem & have my new earings in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 misshavok

*rotate the jewellery, dont force it though. You will do more damage otherwise.

Is this when inserting new jewellery for the first time? Or throughout the process of healing? Rotation of jewellry irritates the fistula and causes excess dead skins cells and various other "nasties" to be dragged through.

Just my two cents :)

>.<

Thought I got rid of that last time round. Musta missed it, cheers :) sorted

Ah yeah no worries. Everything else was so helpful I kinda figured it was probably an old typo or something :D

I wrote it quite a while ago, learned a lot more since, still learning thankfully :D

Aren't we all? Hahaha :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

So I got my nipple pierced while on hols in Miami a few weeks back, in what looked like a clean and professional studio. It looked to be a little crooked but not enough to warrant taking it out and re-piercing.

It was settling in nicely and I decided to get a nice new blue titanium bar for it. Went plug-whoring at the same time (of course) and was telling a friend what new j00ls I got. He asked me what the curved barbel was for, when I told him he said he was pretty sure that only straight barbells are meant for nipples :eek:

Went into Snakebite and yes, only straight bars (even the rings have straight backs) for nipples. Oh and the Miami piercer gave me sh!tty aftercare too.

Rob kindly put a straight bar in for me and gave me some proper aftercare, so glad I went into them before it started migrating >.<

Note to self... no more holiday piercings! :(

• Advertisement

For ease in changing jewellry later down the track it is best to be pierced and have a straight bar put in directly, it also keeps the optimum amount of flesh either side of the bar.

The jewellry part comes from the fact that if a curved bar is popped straight in, your fistula will form to that shape. Therefore a straight bar would be quite difficult and painful (if at all possible) to put in at a later date. Whereas a curved bar is very easily placed through a "straight" fistula, as you see with simple piercings like the lip, nose, etc.

Most of you probably know this but it is 12.07am right now and I am getting a little silly :P

You're either in NZ or some part of australia like melbourne... o.0

I'm on a little island near the Sunshine Coast (accessible by a bridge mind you). Bit north of Brisbane, Australia.

Cool :)
    So you're a piercer yourself then?

On hiatus you could say. The place I was at wasn't fitting my plans/life/etc for the moment so I've headed back to studying for a little while, re-evaluating things and all that. Big changes in the next few months for me, so I'm starting a few things anew and all that jazz.

Cool :D Yeah few people i know get tired of it after a while, go on hiatus as you say then come back into it when the time is right.

Nice to have you along anyway :)
    Stick around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Molberts wrote: »
    So I got my nipple pierced while on hols in Miami a few weeks back, in what looked like a clean and professional studio. It looked to be a little crooked but not enough to warrant taking it out and re-piercing.

It was settling in nicely and I decided to get a nice new blue titanium bar for it. Went plug-whoring at the same time (of course) and was telling a friend what new j00ls I got. He asked me what the curved barbel was for, when I told him he said he was pretty sure that only straight barbells are meant for nipples :eek:

Went into Snakebite and yes, only straight bars (even the rings have straight backs) for nipples. Oh and the Miami piercer gave me sh!tty aftercare too.

Rob kindly put a straight bar in for me and gave me some proper aftercare, so glad I went into them before it started migrating >.<

Note to self... no more holiday piercings! :(

I had a Ball Closure ring put into mine when it was pierced, bout 2-3 years ago at this stage. Never had any major problems with rejection or migration. I have heard that only straight barbells, or D rings should be used, but I never changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 *Normiee*

I had my nipple pierced about 3 years ago but took it out last year cos I was pregnant. It's all closed up now, wouldn't mind getting it done again. Would it be easier or harder to do it again?? Loved havin it, no prizes for guessin why though!:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bloox

*Normiee* wrote: »
    I had my nipple pierced about 3 years ago but took it out last year cos I was pregnant. It's all closed up now, wouldn't mind getting it done again. Would it be easier or harder to do it again?? Loved havin it, no prizes for guessin why though!:P:P

nice one:rolleyes: , had a couple but never lasted,accidents do happen....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 New2Galway

Hi would love some advise on a couple of things. I got my lip pierced on Monday. How long does it take to heal genearally. I have a bar in it at the minute but would like to change it to a ring as soon as possible. I been using sea salt but its not the pure sea salt. Its the tiny pieces. Is this ok? Also going on holidays next friday. Can i change it to a ring by then. Thanks guys.

Advertisement