Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Transfers and Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Have they actually all gone though, or is it just pie in the sky? There's been numerous pre-contracts signed I know, but nothing more than that of the players who's contracts did not run up at the end of last season.

Excluding Sean Dillon, I do believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ward gone to Wolves or Dunfermline?

In 300k deal which is largest deal in El history if you ignore byrne to wimbledon
    Odd ward being sold thought Bohs were the buying club, would imagine Crowe to Bohs is gonna be a done deal so.

kdjac

Potentially 300k+sell on clause for a player thats out out of contract next season and definately leaving then, also the fact that he scored less goals than Arkins or Farrelly last season its a fantastic piece of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

According to a throwaway line in the Mirror, Crowe is coming back to Bohs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Examiner is stating that Rico is showing some real interest in bringing Colin Healy back home.

Kearney is all but a done deal as well from what I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mulcahy is 99% signed for Pats, tbh screw the others. hes the player pats fans want more than anyone.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Pats trying to sign Fitzpatrick off Drogs who now have 7 strikers in their squad :confused: Why do they need 7?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

KdjaCL wrote:
    Pats trying to sign Fitzpatrick off Drogs who now have 7 strikers in their squad :confused: Why do they need 7?

kdjac

IMO they don't, and they are probably trying to shift a few but I would imagine other clubs are baulking at the wages that Drogheda have been paying over the last 2 seaons.

24 Barrett, Shane Forward 25 View
    10 Fitzpatrick, Glen Forward 25 View
    12 Grant, Tony Forward 30 View
    9 O'Brien, Declan Forward 27 View
    17 Zayed, Eamon Forward 23 View

Leech and O Keeffe, if Fitzpatrick wants a game he and some others will have to move.

kdjac

O Brien maybe, but the rest of them are not worth a fúck, especilay the vastly over rated Eamon Zayed.

Rico said tonight on the radio he had agreed in principle with Bobby Ryan and Sean Dillion to come to City, but when Scotland came up that was that. He also said he hopes to unveil one player this week, and another 2 or 3 in the next 10 days. He hinted one of them maybe Colin Healy. Again, i would take the latter with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seansouth wrote:
    Brilliant. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

There is a serious upside , apparently Ollie kept paying Byrne(due to his high value) and Ollie turned down a bid of £450,000 for Cardiff meaning the accepted bid(if what I have states above is true) is above this .

Of course Bray are owed their 50% but this still significantly higher that the 30k KdjaCL stated in the 'Eircom League players moving abroad' thread which he later edited to 200k .

I'd guess the fee is about £475,000-£490,000 .

Big Ears wrote:
    There is a serious upside , apparently Ollie kept paying Byrne(due to his high value) and Ollie turned down a bid of £450,000 for Cardiff meaning the accepted bid(if what I have states above is true) is above this .

Of course Bray are owed their 50% but this still significantly higher that the 30k KdjaCL stated in the 'Eircom League players moving abroad' thread which he later edited to 200k .

I'd guess the fee is about £475,000-£490,000 .
    Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Thats great business if true.

I think he will score plenty of goals over there.

Colin Healy to Cork City.

Rumour on City website.

Gamble Healy midfield axis. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Good buy for Cardiff, might get them out of their recent slump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I think if the figures are anywhere near what is being bandied about atm for Byrne then the powers that be in the carlisle must be very happy.
    Love him or loathe him it was a good piece of business by Devlin to get the 50% selling on clause inserted in the contract.

Obviously we will have to wait and see if Ollie will try to delay payment of the 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

bray can join the list of creditors, cant see them being a high priority either, until bray take them to court!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Nuttzz wrote:
    bray can join the list of creditors, cant see them being a high priority either, until bray take them to court!

Thats very true it'll be interesting to see the FAI's stance on this one about clubs welching on paying for players (I'm sure it's been done plenty before by most clubs) after all it is now a professionally run league (well the fai are a professional organisation ran by members of fossett's and Duffy's).

Just out of interest how many players will this leave shels with next season?

Wonder what odd's paddy power would give atm for Bray to finish ahead of shels ;)

Well Readings interest in Alan Bennett is now public. They had an offer turned down last week, as it was, quite honestly, both a joke and an insult. If they want him, they will have to pay a proper fee for him, as well as what they should have paid us for Kevin Doyle. £500K +++ at least IMO.

• Advertisement

Quality player.

Largely unnoticed outside of Cork until Pat Scully pointed out his qualities on Eircom League Weekly this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What was the reported offer they made? Setanta say "Cork defender Alan Bennett is believed to be close to a £300,000 deal to link up with former Turners Cross duo Kevin Doyle and Shane Long at Premiership side Reading". £300k won't be turned down.

It said in todays evening echo that a bid of €100k was refused

http://www.eecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

gimmick wrote:
    If they want him, they will have to pay a proper fee for him, as well as what they should have paid us for Kevin Doyle. £500K +++ at least IMO.
    :rolleyes:

Oh right, because Cork City screwed up with Doyle's contract, Reading are going to pay over twice what a player is worth as a goodwill gesture?

The Evening Echo said it'll take €300K to take Bennett to Reading, I'd say that's a realistic figure.

^ :rolleyes:

No, City are just going to play hardball a bit more this time in order to get a bit more money to help ease the blow of losing yet another top class player.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

Looks like Alan Bennett is now gone.

Hull City have made some sort of bid for Roy O Donovan.

Not looking too good.:o

This new investor. Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Hopefully Rico can find a few diamonds in the rough. Maybe time to give a few of our u-21's chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i heard reading have improved their offer and just need to agree terms bennett... this 3rd hand info from a member of ccfc supporters club.

I heard Reading were looking at an alternative from league 1 and were quoted 2million :eek: so they upped there offer to cork.

If a few of these make an impact I can see the first million pound sale in the next 13months.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote:
    i heard reading have improved their offer and just need to agree terms bennett... this 3rd hand info from a member of ccfc supporters club.

I heard Reading were looking at an alternative from league 1 and were quoted 2million :eek: so they upped there offer to cork.

Reading are also after a fella called Greg halford, a centre half who currently plays for Colchester Utd, and have bid, or are reportedly to be weighing up, £1m.

WRT Bennett, apparently he was completely selectively quoted yesterday in The Echo, but the fact remains, he would be silly to turn down a move to Skys Premiership. This may be the only offer he gets. Talk is Reading are set to increase their bid to £250k stg plus clauses.

That all being said, it is all speculation thus far.

Million pound transfer from eL to EPL within 13 months?

:eek:

No way José - unless José fancies Richie Baker that is.

Apparently Owen Heary has won his tribunal case, and is now a free agent.

This opens the door for the others to leave.

:(

Its hard to complain as a City fan when I see whats happening down on the Richmond Road.

Dundalk Argus has Bohs signing 19-y-o striker Kyle Moran -- ex-ManU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

when is the transfer window closing???

• Advertisement

31st January.

I'll give my best to Bohs, vows Heary
    Owen Heary, released from his contract with Shelbourne by a tribunal decision, has vowed to give his best to his new club.
    The former Shels captain, who grew up as a Bohs fan, is looking forward to helping re-establish Bohemians as a force to be reckoned with.
    "I will be giving Bohs 100 per cent and I want to ensure that they are not finishing down in eighth or ninth again but are instead challenging for the title," he tells Neil O’Riordan of the Irish Sun today.

It will abslutely sicken me to see him wearing the red and black striped jersey of Bohs. Of all the players that have left, this is by far the worst.

He may be a Bohs fan, but he is a Shels legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Shelbourne
    In

Out
    David Tyrrell (Bray Wndrs)
    Stuart Byrne (Drogheda Utd)
    Dean Delaney (Free)
    David Crawley (Dundalk)
    Ollie Cahill (Drogheda)
    Joseph Ndo (St. Pat's Ath)
    James Chambers (Free)
    Gary O'Neill (St. Pat's Ath)
    Liam Kearney (Free)
    Steve Williams (Free)
    Sean Dillon (Dundee Utd)
    Glen Crowe (Bohemians)
    Owen Heary (Bohemians)
    Bobby Ryan (Dunfermline)
    David Bracken (Glenavon)
    Jason Byrne (Cardiff)

As a traditional and long serving Shelbourne fan (of the 1994/1995 vintage) I can only express my bitterness and sadness at this mass exodus of great players. How many clubs in the world will be forced to see a championship winning team sold en masse. This is down to the mismanagement of Ollie Byne and his ilk. Shelbournes great performance in the 2004/2005 Champions League was, in fact the worst thing that could have happened to the club. It boyed up the team and gave Byrne the prerogative, and the reason to spend up and beyond Shelbourne's means. Instead of nurturing that team (03/04), he went out and replaced the likes of Harris, Cahill, Williams, and Fitzpatrick, with Hawkins, Ryan, Dealney, and Crowe. Players like Gary O Neill and Richie Baker were also brought in to disrupt the team moral, and like when West Ham brought in Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, those players who had performed so well for so long, beagn to wain, and as a result the so called super shels ended up in the Inter Toto cup, having spent above their mean to make the possibility ofthe CL Group stages even more of a possibility.

I have seen many ups and downs with Shelbourne since my first visit to Toka Park in 1994. I remember the defeat to Derry City in the 1995 FAI Cup Final, the victory over ST Pats in the 1996 Final after Alan Gough was sent off in first game, and saved a penalty in the second. The 1997 victory. The loss of the 97/98 league, league cup, and fai cup (at the last hurdle) to St Pats, Sligo Rovers, and Cork CVity respectively. The resignation of Damien Richardson, and Dermot Keely's selection. The 1999/2000 league and cup double, the 2000/2001 loss to Cork and loss of the league. The Dubious claiing of the 2001/2002 championship, the 8-0 cup victory over rockmount, the loss to Bohs on the last day of the season. The signing of Jason Byrne. The Three championships in a row, The wins over Hadjuk Split, and the drw with Deportivo La Corunam and last Novembers Championship victory.

I have seen so many successful players come and go at Shelbourne. Greg Costello, The Ghaeoghan brothers, the baker boys, Scully, McCarthy, Doolin, Fenlon,Byrne, Crowe, Holohan, Ndo, Keddy, Cahill, Hutton, Hutchison, Rutherford, John Powell, Van Der Velden, Campbell, Kelly, Sheridan, Williams, Gough, John, Minnock, Duffy, Neville, Heary, Moore, Fleming, McKop ,Arkins, Byrne, and some of the less successful, such as rickie o Flaherty, Neil Ogden, Stephan Grant, Ian Gilsean, Robbie Raeside etc. However each player holds a special place in my heart.

However now it looks as though Shelbourne will take a bow as a superpower of our Eircom ;eague this year

Correct me if Im wrong, but Cork City will be signing precisely no-one (apart from Liam Kearney, who has been a nobody for the last 18 months) before the season starts. Hope Im wrong, but if true, Rico will be gone by June. Who will replace him? I have no idea.

• Advertisement

Jason Byrne came on as a 62nd minute sub for Cardiff against Wolves today, and scored in the 88th minute.

Jayo for Ireland tbh.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

seansouth wrote:
    Jason Byrne came on as a 62nd minute sub for Cardiff against Wolves today, and scored in the 88th minute.

Jayo for Ireland tbh.:rolleyes:

Probably to complete silence as well. Cardiff fans banned from Wolves apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does any website list the team line-ups for the Championship on a Saturday afternoon. Trying to find info on if George O'Callaghan is on the bench at Ipswich.

He is on the bench according to the Georgie-obsessed Cork City forum.

seansouth wrote:
    It will abslutely sicken me to see him wearing the red and black striped jersey of Bohs.
    Good.

SectionF wrote:
    Good.

What do the Bohs fans make of him now?

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Ive always been a fan of Heary as would any football fan that has seen him play. Also Ive never seen him do anything to antagonise the Bohs fans, Jason Byrne mustve felt he was in heaven today scoring with no Cardiff fans in the ground. To the best of my knowledge the Piss Pants Heary thing is in relation to something he said/some rumour started about him wetting himself going to Dalymount for a big game. That along with at least one regular poster on the Bohs forum not liking him from real life dealings gives the impression that he wasnt liked by the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

O'Callaghan came on after 86 minutes for Ipswich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great to see Byrne get off to a good start. If he's successful we're talking €1m for the next big player to break through in the EL.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Best RB in the league, by a distance. :D
    As mentioned above, Bohs fans didn't have any axe to grind with him. He wasn't one for celebrating in front of the Jodi, Jason-style. He may have kicked a couple of Bohs players in his time, but that was his job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement